Author Topic: Strings  (Read 145027 times)

caleeice

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #400 on: March 31, 2015, 02:15:54 pm »
Thank you sis chilli and belle! :) Mum was the one who really insisted on getting Bernie. I'm glad that I listened to her. He's easy and pleasant to talk to. I've also watched his videos on Youtube. I haven't watched actual wedding videos though. Will probably do that when I get some down time this week.

belle_v2g

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #401 on: March 31, 2015, 02:53:40 pm »
Almost same yung recommended instruments sa atin sis caleeice. :) ano napili mo?
Ako naman I let my hubby choose which group we're getting because this is what he's good at.. we considered getting 3rd avenue or impressions ensemble before.. (pareho nyang kakilala at magagaling kase) pero we ended up getting impressions since he know pretty well how they perform especially the resident arranger (coz they used to work together) --and they've been in the industry for more than a decade narin. :)

caleeice

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #402 on: March 31, 2015, 03:10:13 pm »
Sis belle, Bernie recommended that we get one of each instrument so that's what we did. He knows his group and his craft better than we do. Hehe. Kayo sis, did you choose what instruments to use na?

belle_v2g

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #403 on: March 31, 2015, 03:15:34 pm »
I'm thinking of getting the same sis.. one of each. :) I'm communicating with them narin regarding our song list for ceremony & reception.. tapos one face to face meeting in May to talk about our requests. :)

ms_joyvi

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #404 on: March 31, 2015, 04:02:56 pm »
Hi sis chili1113..Thanks!  :)

bzbee

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #405 on: May 24, 2015, 11:44:54 pm »
after weeks of deliberation, we've finally decided to just get strings for church and reception. goodbye na sa dream band namin for the wedding :'( its really sad but i guess its for the best. we've already splurged on a lot of other things and this is one of the biggest sacrifices we had to do so far. it got easier to let the band go because h2b was really calm about it, to think na siya talaga ang may gusto nito from the start pa lang.

oh well, MOVING ON. we're getting Manila Philharmonic Orchestra, we're still deciding on how many instruments to get but we'll definitely hire at least 1 singer. are there any MPO brides here? d kasi kami sure how to choose the singer. i've only seen 2 videos of Angela, she's good but we want to have other options sana. thanks sa magrereply :)

Chili1113

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #406 on: May 24, 2015, 11:51:29 pm »
Did anyone here get Anima Choir? Ive decided to get them but Roger isnt replying to my emails after I asked for a sample contract and bank details. Are they difficult to deal with?

bzbee: good call to let go of the band sis and instead get quality performers for the ceremony and reception. I noticed some weddings kasi, no one really stands up and dances with the band anymore. And in that case sayang the band! Then theres the band setup you will have to pay for pa.  Not like strings, super sulit because they play at the most important parts of the wedding.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:55:16 pm by Chili1113 »

bzbee

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #407 on: May 25, 2015, 12:17:25 am »
thanks sis chili! you're right sis, i can't actually remember any wedding i've attended where the guests actually danced along with the band. kahit pa under the influence of alcohol. lol

vhanya

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #408 on: May 25, 2015, 09:35:03 am »
I think it depends on the song selection. During my wedding naman, sumayaw guests ko after the formal reception with the band. The moms, PSs, and even yung flower girls ko nasa dancefloor :). They sang mostly 80s songs so can relate lahat :) We booked 3rd Avenue and they're really good.

I have another suggestion, this really depends on your guests. If maraming oldies, get a salsa band and DIs. Promise baka abutin kayo ng madaling araw hhahahah!

Chili1113

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #409 on: May 25, 2015, 09:56:07 am »
^Thanks sis Vhanya!! we still havent decided what to do for the after-party-- if we get either a band or Dj.

But h2b mentioned before that he doesnt want dancing in the wedding. He wants everyone to just chill out and drink! But knowing our crowd, only the oldies will dance!! They are the one game to dance. None of the younger ones will dance and I can bet my life on it haha

vhanya

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #410 on: May 25, 2015, 10:02:25 am »
^then i think you need a DJ nga :) the savings from getting a band, you can allot sa mobile bar and black label/whisky/beer :)

If only Brotzeit caters to weddings, angsarap ng european beers nila!

rightback

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #411 on: May 25, 2015, 10:02:47 am »
the last time I saw a band play at the after party with everyone dancing was about 6 years ago pa. It was like rockeoke so everyone got up to dance/jam with the band on the dance floor. so i guess depends on the songs and audience if they're up for it. but majority just wants to chill right after so they get a dj instead while the strings take care of the music during the reception proper.

Chili1113

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #412 on: May 25, 2015, 10:38:33 am »
I think this is what I'm gonna do:

1. Ceremony - Mostly acapella - Anima Choir -5 singers - 1 of which will be a keyboardist too.

2. Reception
Manila String Machine - 1 set cocktails, 2 sets dinner
Anima Choir - to sing in between Manila String Machine sets


3. After Dinner - undecided -dj or band

-Manila String Machine plays 3 sets, and can actually play also during the ceremony. But parang sayang the 1 set for them to play at the ceremony especially since I have a choir anyway. So that is why I am thinking of having them play all sets at the reception.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:42:27 am by Chili1113 »

rightback

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #413 on: May 25, 2015, 11:05:02 am »
sis chilli, i heard Manila String Machine and Anima choir together at the church during a friend's wedding. they actually sound good together and had a very classical and solemn feel during the cermony. unless you prefer aacapella only for anima during the church part?

parang better though na dj for your after party since you both prefer a more chill vibe compared to a band.

Chili1113

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #414 on: May 25, 2015, 11:09:54 am »
rightback: thanks for you comments! I have never heard Anima and MSM sing together but I will really consider now having them perform together at the church. That was what I was originally planning to do. But I am just worried bec MSM contract say they play for a maximum of 5 hours only and my wedding is at 3. So this means they should be done by 8pm. Although they can extend naman daw till the 1st dance.

Anyway perhaps it will all become clearer as the wedding date nears and we get to finalize the  program with the coordinator, =) But for now Ill book them 1st hehe then I can adjust my requirements after.

rightback

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #415 on: May 25, 2015, 11:20:33 am »
sis, i raised the 5 hours concern with Ted. He was willing to extend it to 7 hours but we're not letting them play during cocktail hour since we're planning to have a separate cocktail area and it might last around 1.5 hours. For us naman they'll play once guests start going in to the reception area and the last set will be during dinner. They'll let you ammend the contract naman. Best thing to do is meet MSM suring one of their play and meet sessions at La Creperie and you can clear this out with them.

Chili1113

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #416 on: May 25, 2015, 11:37:40 am »
^sis did you get a separate singer or did you just book one through Ted? I really want a choir for the ceremony but it will cost an extra 20k. But then I was justifying it by thinking that getting a singer through Ted might be difficult and I cannot hear him/her sing beforehand heheh But I think I am just trying to justify the extra and unnecessary expense! All I know is that MSM is really a non-negotiable for me. I really like the uniqueness and variety of their repertoire! Plus I like that they are a classic strings quartet.

rightback

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #417 on: May 25, 2015, 11:52:32 am »
^i'm making one of my friends sing and but im also debating if I should let out office choir do it. they'll do a dry run with MSM around an hour before the wedding but Ted will provide a sample of the church songs. They're one of my non-negotiables din since I want a classic string quartet and I really dont like the sound of electronic keyboards. And there's a particular song that I want for my bridal march and only they can do it. Good thing h2b liked them as well. I requested for them to play one of the guns n roses songs to convince him. I haven't heard any of their singers though so I'm not sure how it sounds like. not sure if they have a sample on youtube?

Chili1113

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #418 on: May 25, 2015, 12:17:02 pm »
^wow we have exactly the same preferences! --all classic string quartet that can play contemporary music! I also dont like the sound of electronic keyboard, but all packages of Anima Choir comes with the keyboard hehe. I was gonna solve this problem by making them sing mostly acapella, and only use the keyboard for songs that really require it.

Ted made some singer recommendations that I can book on my own. They are all very good but seem expensive as they are really soloists. Otherwise he can book one for you for 5k extra, but I have no idea how that singer will sound hehe. So I think I am better off hiring a choir =) 

Lastly sis, you mentioned Ted agreed to extend the 5 hours to 7 hours. Was this just a verbal agreement or did you have the contract revised? I am supposed to deposit kasi to their account tom. Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 12:20:05 pm by Chili1113 »

rightback

  • Guest
Re: Strings
« Reply #419 on: May 25, 2015, 12:28:14 pm »
^haha yes! we kinda want 90's rock songs but played in a classic manner for a formal yet chill vibe. i also initially thought of booking Anima also but when I saw the choir package it was way out of budget.

Ted offered the 7 hours through email first after i explained na they can have a break naman in between the church and start of reception and it will definitely be more than 5 hours since our ceremony starts at 2 and reception around 6. then i revised the contract to reflect 7 hours.

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close