Author Topic: career or family? which would you choose & why?  (Read 13701 times)

twelvth_goddess

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 03:30:37 am »
Before I had my daughter, I always tell myself na having a kid wont stop me from working. Well now that I have a daughter, most of the time, I ache to just stay at home with her. Kung tutuusin, pwede naman kung sa pwede and kaya naman kame buhayin ng husband ko. But even if that thought is soo tempting, I still choose not to for the following reasons:

1. Though I love to focus on my daughter, I also have my personal development to fulfill.

2. With the economy nowadays, it's better that 2 kame na may income. We can save money, buy things that we want and need, and in the end, be better providers for our daughter.

3. I dont want to depend o my husband's money. Ma-pride din ako. I want to buy my own things with my own money (though masarap din to spend his money hehe). That way, walang kung sino man jan na pwede mag-comment na ginagastos ko my husband's hard earned money to buy expensive clothes and other stuff.

Ninar612

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 09:15:13 am »
Hi ladies,

Im a newbie and this thread caught my attention.  Before i got married, i was already stable with my work. I even took up my MBA coz it's a plus sa work ko. Then, i met my hubby during my MBA.  The irony of it, i resigned when i had a baby na. My hubby wanted me to focus on our baby which i think nman is ok...  So, now im a fulltime housewife and hands-on mom to two kids and i'm really loving it.  My youngest is  3 and my eldest is 6 and both are studying.

  I think it's ok to do both. I can be a housewife and a fulltime mom at the same earn my own money.  Why not put up your own business para hawak mo time mo. Thats my next goal, to learn something new para magka " sideline" ka kahit let's say your hubby can provide naman and no need na ng sideline.  The sideline naman is para you have something to do lang especially if you have freetime.... If you have your own business, you can manage your time... In my opinion, you can be a fulltime mom and at the same time work din... :)  Just make sure hindi ka maging physically super tired... ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:00:31 am by Ninar612 »

a_y_e_n

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 05:15:31 pm »
nung single pa ako at di pa kame kasal ng hubby ko, i was thinking na di ko igi-give up yung career/work ko. pero ngayong magkakaanak na ako, feeling ko kung kelangan may magsacrifice ng work saming mag-asawa para sa anak namin, i'll gladly give up my carrer and choose my family. mas marihap maghanap ng family kesa work.

hisana

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 10:46:48 pm »
palagi sabi saken ng tatay ko:

wala kang maaasahan sa buhay kung hindi ang sarili mo.

huwag kang umasa sa asawa, anak, kapatid, kaibigan, kamag anak etc etc.

Like! My dad's advice to me, too.

khengzky

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 08:53:53 am »
hi sisses, kaka-resume ko lang ulit sa work nag leave ako for 3wks kasi kinasal kami & eto na naman ang gumugulo sa isip ko ayaw pumayag ng company na mag resign ako & isa pa sa problem ko e ayaw din ng parents ko na igive up ko si career kasi daw bata pa ko etc. & sila naman daw bahala sa baby nmin honestly mga sis sobrang nahihirapan ako parang di tuloy ako makapag decide ng gusto ko kung ako lang i really wanna spend my time muna sa hubby & baby namin were planning na nga to buy a new house para kahit pano may freedom naman kami were not staying sa parents namin pero yung nirerentahan kasi namin na house e malapit lang sknila super swerte lang talaga ako at mabait si hubby sumusunod sya what may parents want for me pero minsan pag nag uusap kami kung sya lang daw masusunod he really want me to stays at home nagiisip din kami ng business para if ever talaga na mag stop ako kahit pano e may pagkaka abalahan haaayyy ang tagal ko na naipost to pero up to now sobrang di pa din ako makapag decide  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Ninar612

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 09:17:20 am »
Hi Khengzky,

Hmm... I think you have to prioritize... Nahirapan din ako to leave my work. Pero i can say i did the right decision. If fulltime mom ka, maasikaso mo family mo especially your kid. Important ang building foundation ng bata... Iba pa rin pag mommy ang nakatutok sa bata... I gave weight sa foundation ng mga bata kaya i resigned eventhough stable na ako sa job ko before... My hubby has a business and i help him with it. Hawak ko time ko... Lagi ko pa kasama kids ko at natututukan ko. If you're confused coz worried ka of what the people around you might say, or might react, then mahihrapan ka talaga. Be firm and be sure sa decision na gagawin mo. You can always go back to work, pero yung time na sana you're with your kid, hindi na maibabalik... Furthermore, my son is advance sa level nya. I think big help kasi natutukan ko sha... I have yayas naman pero assist lang sila sa akin. Ako pa rin ang nagtuturo, nag aalaga, pumupunta sa school activities, etc... And also mabait ang anak ko. Sorry, i'm not nagyayabang i'm just citing an example based on my experience as a fulltime mom. :) 

Thanks! Happy weekend! ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:58:12 am by Ninar612 »

swtgrl_bee

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2011, 12:24:25 am »
After ML, I worked for one week, then immediate resignation, hehe. Post partum blues din ata yun, kasi umiiyak talaga ako kapag papasok na ako sa work. Tapos naging SAHM ako for almost 5 months, then pasok ulit ng trabaho. Worked for 4 solid months para makaipon lang, then stopped again. 2 months na akong SAHM ulit, pero mahirap din kasi yung umaasa ako kay hubby esp ang dami kong gusto for my daughter. Kaya ito hanap ulit ako ng work, sana kaya ko din both Career plus hands on mommy/wife :)

Pahabol, pero sarap kasi talaga maging SAHM and full time wifey :D

QueGavan

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 01:09:00 pm »
before when I we didn't have our son yet, i don't think I can give up my career! now that we have him, I want to be a full time mom. I'm still working now and hopefully in 2 years time I can set up my own business and eventually leave the corporate world para I have control of my time to spend with my family :)

pressany

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 03:33:29 pm »
For those sisters who are weighing between career and family, I don't know if you'll find any value on my story but just the same read on.

I have 3 kids; 15, 13 & 12.  When they were younger, about ten years ago, I decided to gear down on my career.  I moved from promising job to 5-day a week routine government job.  I let my husband took the driver's wheel, I put my career on halt. Though, I never really stop working, I just let foreign scholarship, promotions and opportunities to pass me. 
My kids grew up to be academic achievers.  They learned to play musical instruments and attended workshops.  I'm proud that they are emotionally mature and they think beyond their years.  I built a strong relationship with them that we can talk about sexuality openly.  I explained to them the mechanics of reproductive system with out fear or shame. I'm their source of information or their "let's ask the authority" person.  Now looking at them, I could say that they are my trophies.   
BUT, sometimes when I'm alone with my thoughts, I would think of what I have become.  Whatever happened to the overachieving student and promising student leader, that I was.  I felt an almost physical blow when I attended my high school reunion last December.  Sabi ko nga reunion is such a b****.  I'll force you to compare notes with your past.  Though, my classmates did not verbalize it, I know they were disappointed that I did not finish my law as they were expecting a lot from me as I was expecting a lot from myself also.  I went home feeling low that night but hey, I survived.  Every now and then I would still have that "what-if-I finish my law or what-if-I accepted that foreign scholarship" moments, I could be working with UN now.  I  still have that I-could-have-been attacks but I continue to paddle the boat of motherhood as my kids are still in school.  And I promise myself to keep on paddling until I cross my kids on the lake of adulthood. 
I guess that's how we are, mothers, we abandon our own lake, our own island and take charge of our kids boat.                 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 03:39:40 pm by pressany »

twinnie

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 01:17:01 pm »
kung sobra-sobra ang sweldo ni hubby mo para sa inyo na tipong kahit hindi ka mag work e sagana pa rin naman kayo, IMO mag resign ka na lang and focus with the kids. kasi ganun ang gagawin ko if i were you. ako kasi i really want to be a hands-on mom. i want to make sure that my babies are given the best care and who else would give it to them di ba kundi ako lang dahil im their mother. i want to be there especially sa age nila na helpless pa sila. kaya lang hindi sapat kapag si hubby lang ang mag wowork so need ko talaga mag work. pero kung malaki lang sweldo ni hubby mag reresign na talaga ko try ko mag business na lang para hawak ko oras ko... sayang kasi sis yung chance na maalagaan mo talaga yung kids mo lalo na sa murang edad nila.... pag malalaki na yang mga yan magkakaron na yan ng barkada di mo na yan gaano makakasama dahil independent na sila.

think about it! oo may sarili ka ring buhay pero responsable ka rin sa kids mo kaya tuwing magdedecide ka dapat lagi mo rin kinoconsider sila...  :P

ishko

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2011, 04:06:07 pm »
grabe! ang hirap magdecide whether we choose family or career...  ;D

i will have my baby soon.. kapag walang nakuhang yaya na matino, ako na muna mag-alaga full time sa baby ko... since hindi ko pa nakikita si baby, hindi pa ko maka-decide kung gusto ko full time alaga or magwork pa...

ang iniisip ko lang, mawawalan ako ng  career.. sayang naman dahil 2 course ang tinapos ko at may 2 titles.. nakakapanghinayang lang kung magiging taong bahay ako


k_heart

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2011, 01:56:31 am »
You can have both, time management lang yan and a good set ng magbabantay kay baby! : )
I have both, kinda difficult sometimes pero carry lang in God's Grace.
I think kung house lang ako, My gulay i will be bored lalo na at nag aaral na lahat ng kids ko.

khengzky

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 10:22:42 am »
hi mga mommies thank you sa mga advice actually nag resign na ako last may bago umalis si husband & sa totoo lang nakakapanibago hinahanap hanap ng katawan ko yung pag tatrabaho but when i see my child's development its all worth so far ok naman im planning to put up some business here hopefully by this year thank you sa mga advices niyo dont worry im planning to go back to work pag medyo malaki na si baby infairness mas nakakapagod nga pag nasa bahay lang hahaha  ;D



thanks mommies  ;)

achilles

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 02:06:00 pm »
Guy here...

Before I start, let me define career in my own understanding ah.
Career - for me this is a self-fulfilling job. Something that you WANT to do and you ENJOY doing for your heart's fulfillment. Yung tipong you don't care for the salary. In short, this is where your passion lies.

But I think, [textspeak!] career na tinutukoy dito is typically a JOB. So, something that you do for a living.

Let's go with the 2nd definition.

Depende kasi, but one thing is for sure, di mo pwdng pagsabayin [textspeak!] 2 na to if you want to be successful in your career or as a family man. Mahirap. Specially if nagsisimula ka pa lang.

Kasi if nasa isang relationship ka, [textspeak!] trabaho kasi if talagang masipag ka, kakain ng oras yan sa ayaw o sa gusto mo, as a result, mababawasan [textspeak!] time mo for your love one. This will be one of the major things na pag aawayan nyo. Since mawawala [textspeak!] ibang time, so mababawasan [textspeak!] time mo for your dates or for those small things na nagagawa mo for her "kilig" moments.

If you think LOVE will fill the emptiness that your pocket feels, then go for family. But if you think the other way, money can fill the emptiness of your heart, then go for career. Or if you just want to live a normal life, then go for both of them.

Again, depende to sa current status ng buhay mo. If you already have all the money in the world (i.e. anjan naman cna mama at papa, with their business), then why would you still choose career dba? You can give all of your time to your family and continue doing those "small cheesy things" to make your girl special.

kiz_me1109

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2011, 06:52:44 am »
Since I am the mother I would give 70% to my family and 30% on career. =) Yes... the reason why I dont apply abroad and I didnt accept a lot of promotion is because ayoko na mas madami akong time sa work kesa sa bahay.

I am a career woman but I still make sure na mas madami akong time sa bahay kesa office.

I cannot give up my work naman kasi we need it for financial purposes and para narin sa sarili ko. =)

fegloria1954

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011, 12:50:11 pm »
I am already 57, my husband will turn 58 soon.  We have two children, now both professionals: one is a medical doctor, the other is an electronics design engineer.  We should already be able to "retire" from actively working and earning a living, but we continue to work - because we each need to take maintenance medicines for our health conditions.  And so we both work.  But it is not as if we should be working for the sake of work, and getting a promotion.

I recall when we were younger.

From age 25 to 35, we both worked and were so concentrated in our being able to merit promotion and salary increases that we tended to leave our family to the care of yayas and housemaids.  We even tended to have our own circle of friends and went out with them, each of us excluded (he did not invite me to join him and his circle of friends; I did not invite him to join mine).

From age 35 to 45, we more or less were "there."  Our consulting business that I had set up was doing great, we had a lot of clients and we were able to tell our first-born, "Okay, go for it.  Get on to medical school."  and our second-born, "Yes, you can look forward to going to engineering school when you graduate from high school."  I also told my spouse to come back home from his work abroad, as our business could already pay him the salary he was getting there.  How did I settle the career or family question?  Well, we owned our business, and so it was easy to decide to set up a home office.  It meant losing a receiving room and a sala, also a dining and kitchen area - all on the ground floor - so that we could set up our home office there.  It meant also losing one bedroom on the second floor, so that we could set up our sala/dining/kitchen there - more cramped than it would have been were it in the ground floor.  But it worked for me, my spouse and our children.  I was mostly home, but still at work - in our home office.

From age 45 to 55, that set up continued:  we still had our office at home, but then the number of clients increased and we covered the whole Philippines.  Almost a third of the year, we each - or both - had to travel by land, or by sea, or by air, to work on projects for clients located in far flung places.  But we were able to say yes.  Our children were older.  We could leave them alone at home, and we could trust that the two would still be doing their home-school-home routines.  They could cook for themselves.  They could wash their own clothes.  In fact, it was like it were the reverse:  they asked us to "check in" with them when we arrive at the place we were going to, and to update them each day how we were doing at our work.  Then when we would get home, we would have a really noisy dinner, telling them about our adventures and our close-to-mishap experiences while trying to locate the place of business/operations of a client.  No question about it - it was career AND family for me and my spouse, while in the meantime our children were thriving in their tests of independence.

Mommy Fe

beatrize zuri

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2011, 03:12:28 am »
omg. im currently in that position, i have 3 kids 7yo boy, 6yo boy and 2 yo girl im a registered nurse and my hubby is a businessman (taxi operator). most of my relatives are in medical fields and working abroad, they wanted me to work with them to give the best for my family, kaya lang my husband is not 100% on that idea kasi maliliit pa mga kids btw, my hubby is very family-oriented. hesitant syang mag abroad ako kasi malalayo kami sa isat isa, ang point niya is kung kaya namin kitain yung kikitain ko abroad dito na lang kami sama-sama, kaya lang my point is after 20 yrs pa bago namin kitain yung kaya kong kitain don in 5 yrs,. gusto kasi namin maparami pa yung taxi namin, to have our own house, for schooling ng mga kids, for their future na rin. sobrang naguguluhan ako ayokong iwan sila lalo na yung baby girl ko kasi maliit pa sya pero para din naman sa kanila yon eh. help me! :( 

beatrize zuri

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2011, 03:17:48 am »
@fegloria1954-- sis bilib naman ako sayo,.sana pag nareach ko yung age mo sana wala na kong inintindi sa mga kids ko yung stable na sila at nabigay na namin ni hubby yung dapat like education and values. i know hindi ko mababalik yung mga moment na paglaki nila na if ever wala ako sa tabi nila which is dapat andon ako pero ang gusto ko lang naman is ibigay sa kanila yung maginhawang pamumuhay,. kung kaya ko naman ibigay bakit hindi diba? naguguluhan talaga ako sakit sa bangs :P

Kady_14

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 06:22:34 pm »
Family is very important. I had to give up opportunities that came my way then. (working abroad - i'd die if i leave my kids, applying for a higher post -higher pay but then more demanding)

Hindi man kami mayaman and sobra sobra sa pera but I can say na super masaya kami and masasaya ang mga anak namin. :)

ecnarfoj

  • Guest
Re: career or family? which would you choose & why?
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 07:11:29 pm »
Nagpalampas ako ng opportunity to travel abroad. Lumipat ako ng company where in mapapalapit ako sa office ng husband ko. Madalas kasi kami magka-conflict sa work schedule eh.. happy naman ako sa results kasi mas pinapayagan na niya ako lumabas with friends unlike before.

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close