I am sharing this so that my fellow sisters here can enlightenment me/help me..
My parents separated after I finished college. My parents had an agreement before separating that my dad would no longer contact us in anyway. We did not hear anything from him after a few years. After I got married and had a baby, my dad suddenly showed up at my place of work looking for me. I was polite and civil. After nang polite na kumustahan I asked what he wanted. Wala naman daw nangungumusta lang. I told him that I was happy with my life, tahimik, maayos and I don’t want anything to do with him anymore. I made it clear that this was my decision, not from my mom or anyone else but mine. He said he understood and then left. Haven’t heard anything from him since.
After a few more years (we are now working out of the country) we got a message from my MIL that my dad visited the house (my MIL’s house where we lived when we were newlyweds before going abroad). Nangungumusta. They said he looked thin, sick and mukhang naghihirap. He left his number for us to contact him.
A little bit of history… My mom and dad are not in good terms for as long as I can remember. Kahit nung maliit pa ako. Madalas sila magaway. The usual – drinking, staying out too late, strip bars, money… My dad was not an abusive dad in a sense that he never hurt us physically or verbally. But I grew up feeling as If I never had a father. That he never genuinely cared about the wellbeing of his kids and his family. To make it short… my mom may be crazy and she drives me insane pero dahil sa kanya hindi kami nagutom na magkapatid, dahil sa kanya nakatapos kami ng pagaaral. Dahil sa mom ko lumaki kami na dissente, may bahay na natutuluyan at hindi sa kalye, may damit na nasusuot at may gamot kapag maysakit.
Back to the present. I still don’t want anything to do with my dad. I don’t want him back in my life in all aspects of it (my family, husband, kids,etc…). But there is this also this thing that I know the right thing and that I should take the high road and help him if he needs help…. But I have issues if I help:
1. If he needs financial aid (pwedeng nagugutom siya, maysakit, etc…) and I can help financially, I want it to be a one time deal. Ayaw ko na kailangan ko siyang sustentuhan. Ayaw ko na magkakaron kami nang communication nang matagal.
2. If he just says that he wants to mend fences or makilala grandkids niya ayaw ko din
Hubby feels I should take the high road and help, he believes it will “heal” me. He believes that by doing the right thing (he believes making contact, communicating, opening the door and helping is the right thing) it will only bring me good things. Hindi ako naniniwala. Hubby asked what could my dad possibly do that could hurt me now. Sabi ko I don’t know but I don’t want him in my life and if I help him gusto ko one time lang. no more. Also, i don’t want to talk to him. Kaso pano ko naman malalaman kung ano ang gusto niya without talking to him. Hubby offered to be the spokeperson. Sabi ko ayaw ko dahil:
1. I feel like this is something that I have to deal with (talking to him, etc… ) na hindi ko dapat ipinapasa sa iba
2. Malambot ang puso nang asawa ko, although hindi naman siya t**** na give and give, he has a generous and kind heart and I am worried na baka kung ano ang ma-promise niya
So I guess is, bottom line, I still don’t want to talk to my dad or see him and I certainly still don’t want him in my life and I would rather forget that this incident (him coming to the house) happened BUT as I have said, there is the nagging feeling that I should take the high road….
So what do you think is best that I should do?....