Author Topic: Iceland  (Read 12060 times)

fabulosity

• GirlTalker
Iceland
« on: March 11, 2011, 11:04:19 pm »
Hey ladies! Just got back from my fabulous trip to Iceland and I must say, it was a blast!

Tips:Icelandair offers wonderful packages to Iceland from US cities like Boston that include air, hotel with breakfast and tour. Mine included a stay at the Hilton Nordica plus a Lava/horseback riding tour for around 600 USD. Sweet deal!

-Make sure you bring a good camera when you join the northern lights tour. So glad I was able to see the aurora borealis on my trip, heard it's very elusive. BTW, you can only see it during winter.

-If you want to visit the blue lagoon (which I highly recommend), there's an option to go straight from the airport or if you want, before catching your flight back home.

-When visitng Gulfoss (waterfall), don't forget to try the lamb soup in the restaurant near the falls. It's tasty!

- Bring loads of cash because Iceland is expensive! But shopping is still great (think of it as helping their economy). Must buys: 66 North winter gears, wool sweaters, and silica mud for the face and body from the blue lagoon shop.

-Make sure to see/ride the Icelandic horse, coz it's just the cutest! Pure breed, short, stocky, and very gentle. Wish I could bring one home...

Would love to go back in the summer, hopefully soon!

mooncake and leaves

• Super GirlTalker
    • Clickity
Re: Iceland
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 05:20:02 am »
wow! i wanna do everything you did! aurora + blue lagoon! maganda talaga yung blue lagoon? :)

fabulosity

• GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:53:47 am »
Yes!!! And the experience definitely exceeded my expectation! Just imagine walking in your bathing suit in 30 degree weather, snow and all, then soaking in a geothermal pool that's hot, and I mean relaxing hot, hmmm... OMG, it felt really good! And oh, slathering the silica mud on my face, which BTW is quite pricey if you buy it from the Blue Lagoon shop, made the experience awesome! Loved it!

And about the Northern Lights, seing it was surreal. Can you believe, it was so elusive that the first day I booked the tour it was cancelled due to bad weather? And I heard, this can go on for days. I was darn lucky to have seen it the second day. Grayline was so nice to give clients the option to go on the tour again the following day. It was definitely a lifelong dream finally realized!

Thinking of going to Iceland? I'd say go for it!  Yes it will be cold, and yes it will be expensive. But every experience is so unique and worth it!   

mooncake and leaves

• Super GirlTalker
    • Clickity
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 07:55:19 am »
^ how did it look like, the blue lagoon? wah! i wanna go! irerevise ko na bucket list ko tuloy nyaha ;D

fabulosity

• GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 12:50:48 am »
Go during winter so the experience would be extra special. It's like an onsen in Japan but the best thing is that you don't have to be naked! I won't post any pics so as not to spoil the experience in case you decide to go. Can't wait to go back!

indigo.tulle

• GirlTalker
  • Perspective can make your life better!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 12:17:25 pm »
may i ask how much to allot for this travel? :)  thanksies.

fabulosity

• GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 01:29:39 pm »
Stayed there for about 3 nights, figure around USD 1500-2000 for air, hotel, tours, and misc. expenses. Everything's expensive in Iceland, heck, it's Scandinavia! But trust me, it's all worth it! Just go!

angeleyes

• Certified Cynical Bitch and a
  • Super GirlTalker
  • You had a chance until I stepped on the field
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 12:56:24 pm »
Sis what visa should i get if I want to go to Iceland?
If you want to score a goal, you have to hit the target.

mooncake and leaves

• Super GirlTalker
    • Clickity
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 05:43:59 am »
^ I believe, Schengen.

fabulosity: was there a tour to the glaciers as well? i'm seriously considering it na but most likely, next year. i really want to go this year since 2012 is supposed to be one of the best years to see the northern lights. but parang too late na eh. TIA! :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:51:36 am by mooncake and leaves »

xtine

• Certified Jetsetter
  • Super GirlTalker
  • ...my next destination
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 03:37:57 pm »
Ooohh! I've always wanted to go to Iceland! :) Thanks for sharing this.

fabulosity

• GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 12:00:32 am »
^mooncake and leaves: Actually this was my dilemma coz I believe the glacier tour is offered during the summer months while the northern lights tour is obviously during winter. I guess it's a matter of which site interests you more. For me, it's the northern lights hands-down. Although Ive heard the glacier tour's awesome too. Hope this helps!

mooncake and leaves

• Super GirlTalker
    • Clickity
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 01:25:15 am »
^ thanks fabulosity! :) northern lights for me too.  but what happens if the weather doesn't cooperate? that's my fear kasi. and in the winter, aren't the falls frozen? thanks again. really, super helpful. yay! :)

fabulosity

• GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 02:45:42 pm »
it's really a hit or miss sis! actually the first day I booked the northern lights tour the weather was bad so the tour got cancelled. however, the tour coumpany will rebook you for the following day until the weather gets better. got really lucky coz the weather was good for viewing the northern lights the next day. so cross your fingers that the weather will be good on your stay.
during my visit the waterfalls was frozen, which made it more interesting, actually.   8)   

mooncake and leaves

• Super GirlTalker
    • Clickity
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 02:57:40 pm »
^ thanks ulit! what month did you go? i'm thinking either october or november this year or feb next year. gusto ko sana ng 'di frozen ang waterfalls talaga. this year would be good sana talaga for northern lights viewing. :)

fabulosity

• GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 01:53:14 pm »
^I went March of this year. If you want to see the lights, I suggest going Feb., but the falls will probably be frozen during that time. Oct and Nov. might be too early but you might get lucky...

mooncake and leaves

• Super GirlTalker
    • Clickity
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 10:12:03 pm »
^ thank you ulit :) sorry, super daming tanong. we're leaning towards feb of next year, like you suggested. so if the falls are frozen, parang glaciers ang effect? also, any packing/clothing tips? TIA :)

fabulosity

• GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 02:03:58 am »
^I wouldn't say like a glacier but it's still an awesome experience nonetheless. Definitely layer up when you go, gotta have long johns, a good down jacket and of course, non-skid boots. I can't stress this enough coz it will be slippery and cold! And don't forget your swimsuit if you plan to go to the Blue Lagoon, which I hope is in your IT  ;) 

mooncake and leaves

• Super GirlTalker
    • Clickity
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 06:38:57 am »
^ yep, blue lagoon is a priority for us hehe. thanks ulit! i might ask more questions later but in the meantime, research mode muna. what i'm scared of is, what if we don't see the northern lights? tsambahan kasi talaga. lucky you! :)

Frozen Toes

• Baby Beast &
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 10:53:01 am »
Anyone been to Iceland recently?

Chili1113

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 02:01:35 pm »
Frozen Toes: Will you be going to Iceland? Currently planning a trip there.

Tourists normally base themselves in Reykjavik and just take day tours from there. However a friend of mine says they are considering staying somewhere 45 min away from Reykjavik where the Northern Lights are visisble from the hotel and streets. Wondering if anyone else has done this? They are considering staying in Hotel Glymur in Akranes. But I checked it out and it looks like its in the middle of nowhere hehe.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 02:04:40 pm by Chili1113 »

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close