sis kRistetA, I second yung sinabi ng mga sisses natin dito. Although we may not be in California, it think applicable yung mga advise nila kahit san state ka nakatira sa US. Lemme tell you how my life had been for the last 2 years. Note that I am here legally, as an H4 visa holder. If you're not familiar, H4 are dependent of H1B (working) visa. We are legally allowed to stay and study here as long as the H1 visa wherein we are dependent to are valid. Pero we are NOT allowed to work.
I had been able to get a DL (driver's license) since that's allowed here in IL, so that give me freedom. Tama yung sabi ni anmar, driving is a necessity. Not unless you live in cities like NY wherein you can take the train or bus. Otherwise, super hirap kapag dependent ka sa ibang tao to get around. Nakakabaliw.
An option for me to work is to look for employers who will sponsor me, unfortunately, that had been hard. Often the jobs that you'll be applying to, will ask you if you'll need a sponsorship to work, and as soon as you said yes, your application goes to the bottom of the file. Sad to hear but true. We're lucky that our GC application was already filed and we just received our EAD, now I am legally allowed to work. And I tell you, job hunting is not easy. Kala ko once na pwede na ko magwork, madali na. But no, hindi pala.
You've mentioned that you're an independent individual, I am the same thing. Kahit we have relatives in CA, we chose to live and stay here in IL (Chicagoland) and make our lives as it is. Ayoko din umasa sa mga kamag-anak. So yung option mo nung una is basically the opposite of what you believed and live by.
I would also suggest that you exhaust all possible means to live and work here legally. You do have your B1/B2 visa naman, you can always come and visit. Make use of that time to see if possible ka makahanap ng work. It's very hard but it's not impossible.
Just to give you an idea, the majority of people that I know who got here from H1 and L1 (intercompany) visa are: PTs, Accountants and IT professionals. Madami pa ding need for PT nowadays, pero dadaan na sa butas ng karayom ngayon to be licensed in the US. I thought mahirap na ang process before, I was wrong. It's doubly hard now. Pero with persistence and hard work, kaya pa din. Goodluck sayo sis!