Author Topic: The UK and Ireland  (Read 74061 times)

iceicebaby

• GirlTalker
Re: The UK and Ireland
« Reply #520 on: January 11, 2017, 12:03:11 am »
Hello everyone!

My family of 4 (husband and 2 girls - 6 & 8 yrs old) will be travelling to London/Paris/Rome Spring of 2018. DIY lang to save.  I was wondering if you have any recommendations of a reasonably priced hotel or AirBnb accommodation? We want to stay close to the metro station and food/grocery stores. Thanks in advance!

PS. I tried to backread but didn't see a whole lot of info re hotels.

mizzybebz

• Junior GirlTalker
  • more.. more.. more blessings! :)
    • Instagram
« Reply #521 on: June 19, 2017, 05:44:41 pm »
Hi mga sis! May nag-apply ba ng UK tourist visa recently? If yes po, how many days ang tinagal bago niyo nareceive passport niyo after submission of documents sa VFS?

yabutize

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #522 on: July 13, 2017, 03:49:30 am »
Hello, travelers! We are visiting London next year 5 days and I came up with a tentative itinerary. Can you please check and make any recommendations/comments?

1st day - arriving at London Gatwick at 2pm
              - check in at our AirBnb near Hyde Park (stone's throw away from Bayswater Station)
              -  after settling in, start exploring
              - Hyde Park, Kensington Palace & Harrods
              - have fish & chips or Sunday roast for our first dinner (lol!)
              - before heading back to AirBnB, buy necessities at Tesco (water, etc)

Day 2 - Hampton Court (this is a non-negotiable for me as I am a huge fan of Henry VIII)
          -  the rest of the day is still questionable. Thinking of going to Harry Potter/WB studios but it looks like it is in the opposite direction

Day 3 - Stonehenge, Bath and Windsor Castle tour

Day 4 - Watch changing of the guards (this is on a Wednesday I read?)
           - HOHO
           - Big Ben
           - Imperial War Museum
          - Westminster Abbey
          - Thames River Cruise (stopping at Greenwich)
          - Greenwich Observatory

Day 5 - check out of AirBnB near Hyde Park and check in at Premier Inn near St. Pancras International (we leave at 5:40 am the next day for Paris)

- Tower of London
          - Shakespeare's Globe   
         - St. Paul's Cathedral
          - The British Museum
          - Platform 3/4

Me and my husband are both in our mid-30's. Our daughters are ages 9 and 7. We are purchasing a 3-day London Pass.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions! :) hoping to make the most of out of our first trip to London.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:56:14 am by yabutize »

i_miss_sleep

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #523 on: September 03, 2017, 12:39:03 pm »
Planning for an upcoming Euro trip most likely sa Dublin. While I backread, baka may gustong mag-bigay ng itinerary? Shall I spend my entire 2 weeks sa Dublin or hop to another city? I've been to London so skip muna yun. What do you think is a good combination for my Dublin trip? Edinburgh seems to ba a popular one. Thanks!

Faina

• GirlTalker
« Reply #524 on: September 04, 2017, 11:25:43 am »
Hi! I'm from Ireland, and if you're into nature stuff then it is a good place. I'd suggest that you visit Cliffs of Moher, it has a very nice view, although when we went there before medyo madaming tao. It's not too much people though na hindi mo maeenjoy yung place. Bring a rain poncho or a good jacket kasi malamig talaga.

Donegal has great views as well, pero it's not in a good state recently, there was a landslide due to heavy rainfall. Super ramdam mo ang global warming since it has never happened before.

If you're sort of religious and want to visit a shrine, I recommend Knock Shrine in Co. Mayo, although there are other shrines available throughout the country. The Republic is a mostly Catholic country by the way. The three sites I've mentioned pala are far from each other as they're in different counties, so it's best to visit if you have a lot of time and don't mind the travel.

For shopping, Dublin is the best place :)

marbleslice

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #525 on: September 07, 2017, 04:19:24 pm »
^^
Dublin Hop on Hop off City Tour (Guinness Storehouse, Trinity College, different churches, castles, parks, etc.)
County Wicklow Day Tour - nature, one of the film locations for PS I Love You
Cliffs of Moher - nature
Belfast (Northern Ireland) Day Tour - we got to see the Titanic, Giant's Causeway, Carrick-a-Rede, and many more

We took most of these tours from one of the Tourist Offices in Dublin City Centre.

Nature, green landscapes, beautiful architecture, shopping. Nakakamiss tuloy bumalik ng Dublin :)

i_miss_sleep

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #526 on: September 07, 2017, 11:05:47 pm »
sisses Faina and marbleslice, Thanks for the tips! Although my travel plans have changed its course, will definitely save these valuable tips for our next trip to Ireland.

We've decided to fly to Frankfurt and we'll hop to different countries from there. So far our itinerary looks like this:
- Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Liechtenstein, Lake Como, Milan, Zurich, Strasbourg, then back to Frankfurt. Hoping to squeeze in Copenhagen if time permits.

Car rental is cheaper too than taking public transportation. We also get to pick from European branded cars like BMW, Merc, Audi for $30/day through Expedia. It's no biggie there. Even police officers drive a BMW! We'll just drive at our own comfortable pace regardless if there's fast (or none at all) speed limit at Autobahn! Pls. pray for us :)

ps. caveat on renting a luxury car - poor gas mileage! :(
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:34:27 am by i_miss_sleep »

lia511

« Reply #527 on: January 08, 2018, 07:23:14 pm »
Hi, just want to ask when is the best time to visit the UK - summer or fall? I plan to go this year and my aunt who resides in London suggested summer so its easy to go around for sightseeing though my preference is during fall season so it's a bit colder and to see the beautiful colors of the leaves. it's going to be my first if ever.

Kim

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #528 on: March 12, 2018, 04:42:48 am »
Hi. Can anyone suggest the best way to exchange currencies from PHP to GBP? Will it be better to bring US$ to UK, then have them exchanged there? Or just get GBP here in Manila before we leave for the UK?

yabutize

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #529 on: March 21, 2018, 12:06:40 am »
I'm leaving in 8 weeks and per my research, it's better to "withdraw" money sa ATM when you get to the country you are traveling to. But I could be wrong. Pero yan ang strategy namin

i_miss_sleep

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #530 on: March 21, 2018, 03:24:07 am »
^sis lia511, I was able to visit London during Fall season (October), sometimes maulan but was fortunate that the time I was there, maganda ang weather. Ngayon Spring time, pero meron pa rin yata snow.

^sis yabutize and Kim, that was what I did, nag-withdraw na lang sa ATM for things that require cash (HOHO bus, food carts, souvenirs). Everything else, sa credit card na like restaurants, attractions, etc.

yabutize

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #531 on: March 21, 2018, 03:54:04 am »
Thank you, sis! :) Sana maganda weather when we go in May

gorgeous_me

• Super GirlTalker
    • the thrift escape :D
« Reply #532 on: June 11, 2018, 07:33:57 am »

yabutize

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #533 on: June 12, 2018, 12:18:10 am »
Sis, halos sabay pala tayo nasa London! We arrived May 13 naman and left the day before the wedding. Im reading your blog now. Gusto ko bumalik ulit!

gorgeous_me

• Super GirlTalker
    • the thrift escape :D
« Reply #534 on: July 11, 2018, 06:20:02 am »
^haha, sumakto tayo sa Royal Wedding e... LOL

Sharing again :)

2-Day Itinerary in Edinburgh
London Budget

redsh0es

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #535 on: June 05, 2019, 12:01:59 pm »
Meron po ba sa inyo na nag apply ng UK visa na may invitation letter? Invite po kami ng husband ko ng friend namin na mag asawa rin sa kanila sa Ipswich sa Dec 20-28. May nabasa ako na dapat may extra room sila for us. Ang question ko po, pwede bang ideclare nila sa letter na sa hotel kami magsstay since wala silang extra room for us? Mayroon po ba sa inyo na same experience? Hingi po sana akkl advice. TIA!

otra_vez

• GirlTalker
« Reply #536 on: July 19, 2019, 12:23:21 pm »
Planning to visit London next year din. I was thinking around April. Is that a good time? I was hoping to include York and definitely the Cotswolds. Kahit daytrip lang. I kind of don't want to leave London. There's a part of me that's wondering if I should include Glasgow, though. Should I go for it? So let's say 12 days overall, kaya ba to include Scotland or is it too far? Thanks!

kireinachean

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #537 on: July 22, 2019, 08:57:55 pm »
^^I think its ok naman, first UK visa namin, we included my father in law's invitation letter and their tenancy naka 2 bedroom sila that time but 3 sila sa house so technically no spare room for us. We declare sa application that we will book hotel.
Our recent visa naman we declare we have relative (Father in Law) but we did not attach any letter and we stated we will stay in hotel again.

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close