Author Topic: Big school diemma: Miriam Grade School or ICA Greenhills?  (Read 44470 times)

Qijen

• Probationary
Re: Big school diemma: Miriam Grade School or ICA Greenhills?
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 12:07:11 pm »
Hi. I graduated from ICA, which prepared me well for college and stress in the workplace. My daughter is in Miriam Grade School (Gr. 1), mostly because of the distance from our house to ICA. Had ICA been nearer, I would have considered ICA too. What I appreciated at ICA was that it was a place which developed my spiritual side--but then this might be more due to personal disposition than the school. Nevertheless, there was a lot in the schoolyear and activities to feed it.

Value for money, ICA. Facilities are newer, and the difference between ICA and MCGS is substantial (for me at least).

Academically:

The kids at ICA are very smart and self-driven. It is true that the school administration (two nuns) are very traditional, but students (and faculty) know their way around the system and are able to initiate many things (not without some grief, but still).

Also, the two nuns have hired Queena Lee-Chua (one of its best known alumna) to help revamp the curriculum to make it more 'international', likely more progressive than traditional. She holds office at ICA 3x a week.

There is a lot of homework, and although kids in my generation coped by ourselves, it seems like a lot more ICAns go to tutorial centers these days (although mostly because of Chinese, some now because of Singapore Math). That being said, the school culture fosters self-driven children, so kids teach other kids, and people try to cope by themselves as much as they can.

It's an environment with very smart and very driven kids (peers expect it of each other), and so for laid back kids, it might not be the best fit. In addition to school (7.30-3), girls have a lot of extracurricular activities. I've observed groups (I do consultancy work for ICA) who eat lunch at 10.30 (recess) in order to practice for school activities or have meetings at lunch time. The pressure was one of the reasons (apart from the distance) I decided not to enroll my daughter at ICA.

Having enrolled her at Miriam, I know now that, although the pressure to excel exerted by peers is substantially less, there IS a lot of homework, which puts a lot of pressure on parents (I assume here that kids are happy go lucky and would be happy to go to school without doing HW), if not the kids. One of the music teachers told me, though, na sinisikmura ang anak niya dahil sa academic pressure. Again, this might be due to disposition but still, there is some sort of pressure exerted.

There ARE a lot of kids, so you can't reasonably expect personalized instruction or attention in Miriam (as is the case at ICA). So if your kid is the type that requires personalized attention, it might be best to find a more progressive learning environment.

Also, if you don't have time, as a parent, to keep track of your child's emotional concerns (yes, there is a lot of bullying going on, although having pushed hard, the school helped me in my daughter's case and addressed it pretty well) some issues might arise, given the huge size of the school population. I was bullied too at ICA at around Grade 3-5, and I hear about cases re: bullying at Grades 1 and 2. The bullying wasn't addressed mainly because I didn't tell anyone; I felt the guidance counselor liked the bullies more than me.

Miriam hasn't adopted Singapore Math yet (as ICA has), and I'm not too fond of the traditional way of teaching Math. ICA does well on the TIMMS and, if I remember correctly the MCGS principal told me that Miriam isn't doing as well, and is currently working on this issue.

One big difference is faculty morale. They seem much happier, and less scared (of parents, administrators) at Miriam. Seems like there's less turnover too. Happier teachers mean that they are possibly more likeable and likely better teachers. Although a friend of mine who worked at ICA said that teacher training provided by ICA is the best one she's received (she didn't stay though).

School spirit is strong at Miriam; it used to be not as strong at ICA but I think things are changing. ICA's a younger school, after all.

I would place my daughter in a more progressive environment if I found such a school nearer our place, which fits her disposition. (For ex. Raya School.) But she's more or less happy at Miriam. (Maybe she's more happy than me, because of the HW situation. I get depressed when exam time comes along. Haha.)

Hope useful.

tinmuning

• Junior GirlTalker
    • Housekeeping For Dummies
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 08:50:41 pm »
Very well said,Qijen. I showed my husband your post and is seriously considering what you've said. Of course, we still have to observe the students at ICA and of course the environment before we make the final decision.

We are somewhat in a similar situation, Miriam is closer to where we live. Technically, it would have been a no brainer choice--it is practical to chose the school closest to you. However, quite a number of parents & colleagues have this negative "notion" about Miriam students which pretty much gave me second thoughts about sending my daughter there.

Of course, there are a lot of things to consider and I believe that as long as we instill the proper values on our child, I wouldn't have to worry about my girl going astray.
Recipes. DIY itineraries. Tips for Moms. at:
http://housekeepingfordummies.blogspot.com/

ichelie

• The Handy Mommy
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • I'm a Handy Mommy!
    • Handy Mommy, handy thoughts on on the journey as a wife, a mom, a counselor, and my own person.
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 07:07:48 am »
^^ very good feedback sis!

^sis, i agree that it is the values we instill and how we parent that is crucial.  assess too what is important for you - the school itself, the distance or where your child would fit well...
this might help too: http://handymommy.wordpress.com/2010/11/25/the-best-school-for-our-children/
The best life valuing the essentials - family, relationships, faith, & being my own person!
Parenting, Relationships, Mommy Wellness, Expert tips at: http://handymommy.wordpress.com

keanegal

• Probationary
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 10:35:15 pm »
would like to put in my 2-cents worth to the discussion :D   The daughters of several of my close friends study in ICA and education wise, they all agree that the curriculum is more than adequate.  Frankly, not at the level of St. Jude or Xavier but enough to get your children prepared intellectually, and ready for the best colleges.  The more pressing concern is values formation, or the lack of it.  I agree with the previous posters that values formation mostly begins and ends at home, but since kids, especially those in the formative years, are exposed long hours to school (and that means friends, teachers, nuns, etc), the school environment becomes a major factor as well.  ICA is well known to have students from the upper echelon of society and feedback is that there is a lot of "pasiklaban", blatant displays of materialism and a mentality that "wealth" or "having" = popularity.  There is a sense that school administration does not really focus on discouraging this type of behavior.

Another friend's daughter was sent to Miriam precisely because of this though I would not have enough knowledge on how Miriam is.

tinmuning

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 07:39:43 am »
^Thanks keanegal.

I also heard about that "pasiklaban" thing with ICA. Another parent explained na since majority of the students there are of Chinese descent, they're more focused na "magpayaman."

The thing naman with Miriam College, a co-faculty of mine expressed horror that I was considering Miriam for my daughter. She said something about Miriam girls branded as "kiri-riam" (kiri = flirt).

ichelie

• The Handy Mommy
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • I'm a Handy Mommy!
    • Handy Mommy, handy thoughts on on the journey as a wife, a mom, a counselor, and my own person.
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 08:31:01 am »
^^ agree with the pressure of "lifestyle and values" if the society the kids are born rich.  Thats my same sentiments with other big schools.  I may afford the tuition, but will we able to afford the 'lifestyle!'  Ive seen some students who had issues with their financial capability as compared with their classmates.  The sad thing is, their parents try to give them what they seem to be struggling with, and parents are not able to communicate well their status. 

As for that phrase about Miriam girls, Ive been there for the past decade, and its only now that I heard of that phrase.  Yes, Ive seen some high school students leaning to be that way.  Yet, I heard also that other schools have such kind of students.  I was thinking, maybe the MC girls are magnified considering na mas madami ang population nila. 

I guess it goes back on what we really want for our children, and which schools would be parallel with our family values  :)
The best life valuing the essentials - family, relationships, faith, & being my own person!
Parenting, Relationships, Mommy Wellness, Expert tips at: http://handymommy.wordpress.com

princessmia08

• struggling student of life, Miakka's biggest fan :), and a
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • loves F.R.I.E.N.D.S. and Hi-5 :)
    • .*.Confessions of A Danceaholic.*.
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 10:47:31 pm »
OT: How much ang gradeschool ng Miriam at gradeschool ng ICA ngayon? Thanks. :)

My daughter's studying at Miriam CSC. She has been "bullied" (though not sadya since they're only 4, more on rough play lang) but I agree that it might happen anywhere. She's very happy and I don't have any plans of transferring her to another school.

Medyo apprehensive lang ako sa grade school na nila. 

tin5716

• GirlTalker
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 10:19:41 pm »
hi i also graduated from ica. base from my experience, i had some difficulties with my studies. to be honest i failed math twice during high school. i even hated ica back then when i was still studying there, but i came to realize when i was in college that ica taught me a lot. even though i failed in some subjects like math in high school, in college i excelled those subjects. unlike some of my blockmates who came from other exclusive schools who had an average grade. like for example in algebra some of my blockmates who had average grades or even high grades back in their high school would even hire tutors just for mid-terms.
although i didn't do well when i was in ica, i excelled when i was in college. i even graduated with honors in dlsu. all i can say is that i am very thankful of what ica has made me and what they taught me. yeah, they give a lot of homeworks(high school) but through that i was able to surpass college. i would definitely enroll kids to ica or xavier.

note: it's only my opinion and maybe i am just being biased about my school. but that's the truth. peace. :)

ichelie

• The Handy Mommy
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • I'm a Handy Mommy!
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 08:59:12 am »
just some insight from my friend working in ica, and i used to be with mc.
* ica is very academic oriented - mc is academic with extra curricular
* students in ica are mostly from upper class - mc has mixture of upper and middle
* ica is about 5 sections per batch - mc is double the sections per level
* both are traditional schools
* ica is run by nuns * mc is run by lay

blackberryqueen

• GirlTalker
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 06:55:10 pm »
I'm surprised to see some parents who share the same dilemma. For me, it's actually a toss  up between Miriam and ICA. Most of my daughter's classmates in pre-school will be going to ICA, simply bcoz of their Chinese roots. But we're not Chinese, and I'm wary about getting my child bullied or ostracized for belonging to a minority in that school. The reasons I even considered ICA in the first place is its curriculum, and (i'm not sure about this) the chinese lessons which will be a continuation of what she's learning now in pre=school. We're forward-looking, so since China is the next economic giant, it will be an advantage for anyone to speak or be proficient in the language. But on the other hand, I feel a closer affinity with Miriam, and it's likewise a topnotch school nonetheless.
When God closes a door, He opens a window.. and knocks down the wall :)

beabrielle

• Probationary
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 09:08:41 am »
Hi, my husband's cousins used to go to ICA, until they migrated to Canada just recently lang. The thing I noticed lang, upon entering ICA bigla nahilig ng mga kikay stuff. And my mom used to teach sa ICA part time lang, she said grabe mga students dun, they want what they want talaga. If it were my daughter, I would not enroll her in ICA. I know some people from ICA, if them having Mandarin is a plus for you, I just think it's not that big a plus. Most students coming from ICA di pa rin marunong mag chinese upon graduating. Just an insight.

beabrielle

• Probationary
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 09:15:12 am »
speaking of schools, does anyone have a feedback regarding CCE (center for childhood education) inside corinthian gardens? im looking for a school for my daughter e. baka may feedback kayo, mga mommies. thanks in advance!

blackberryqueen

• GirlTalker
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 12:47:26 pm »
Hi, my husband's cousins used to go to ICA, until they migrated to Canada just recently lang. The thing I noticed lang, upon entering ICA bigla nahilig ng mga kikay stuff. And my mom used to teach sa ICA part time lang, she said grabe mga students dun, they want what they want talaga. If it were my daughter, I would not enroll her in ICA. I know some people from ICA, if them having Mandarin is a plus for you, I just think it's not that big a plus. Most students coming from ICA di pa rin marunong mag chinese upon graduating. Just an insight.

Thanks beabrielle! Your insight is really helpful. Now my preference for Miriam over ICA is bolstered..  ;)
When God closes a door, He opens a window.. and knocks down the wall :)

tin5716

• GirlTalker
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 10:19:58 pm »
just some insight from my friend working in ica, and i used to be with mc.
* ica is very academic oriented - mc is academic with extra curricular
* students in ica are mostly from upper class - mc has mixture of upper and middle
* ica is about 5 sections per batch - mc is double the sections per level
* both are traditional schools
* ica is run by nuns * mc is run by lay

correction: when i graduated in 2004 we had 6 sections. and batch 2006 and above are 7 sections. ;)
ica has also a mixture of upper and middle class...

princessmia08

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2011, 10:56:39 pm »
Up ko lang :)

How much ang tuition ng Miriam and ICA for gradeschool?

Thanks a lot :)

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2011, 12:09:07 am »
ICA, any time, hands down.  Obviously.   :D

rockstarmama

• GirlTalker
  • mom of three
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 03:57:02 pm »
My daughter will be going to a big school next year and since I really live close to Miriam, its our first option. My husband naman, who's a professor at UP, says that his students coming from Miriam excel in class and are well behaved
Right where I wanna be!

smoothie

• Mom @ work
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 06:19:00 pm »
i paid around 80K+ in tuition for incoming gr.1 in MC. with the other stuff, books, uniform, etc. 90-95k.

princessmia08

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2011, 09:44:28 am »
Some of my daughter's classmates transferred to ICA this year. Cheaper daw kasi plus they're Chinese so mas pabor sa kanila because of the Chinese curriculum.

Sabi nila if hindi daw Chinese, malakas daw discrimination sa ICA, how true?

tinmuning

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2011, 01:48:36 pm »
i paid around 80K+ in tuition for incoming gr.1 in MC. with the other stuff, books, uniform, etc. 90-95k.

Ang mahaaaal! Yeah mas mura nga tuition in ICA than Miriam.

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close