Author Topic: Benedictine International School  (Read 14356 times)

serendipity1800

• Senior GirlTalker
Benedictine International School
« on: October 23, 2010, 09:26:47 am »
Hi! I am thinking of enrolling my son in Benedictine International School (formerly Benedictine Abbey). He is entering Grade 1 in June 2011. I want to get feedback from you guys who have kids, nephews/nieces, neighbors studying or who have studied there. Any information/ feedback you can give will be appreciated. Thanks much! :)
"A thing of beauty is a joy forever" -John Keats

mariemichele

• Everything I need is You, My Beginning, My Forever
Re: Benedictine International School
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 11:09:03 pm »
Hi! My nephew studied there for three years (you are talking about the one near Ayala Heights right?). My sister-in-law was quite satisfied at first but eventually she pulled him out and transferred him to OB Montessorri because according to her, she noticed na ang dami na koreans.

serendipity1800

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 04:16:29 am »
Yup sis, Benedictine Abbey in Capitol Hills. Talaga she pulled him out? I'm guessing she transferred him to OB Montessori near SM Fairview? Was having a lot of Korean schoolmates a bad thing?

smoothie

• Mom @ work
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 06:19:47 pm »
just curious, same question. ako naman naging interested i love koreans. hehe.

serendipity1800

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 08:04:57 am »
^yeah, I thought having our kids exposed to other nationalities have a lot of advantages. I wonder what other Gters have to say?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 08:14:01 am by serendipity1800 »

mariemichele

• Everything I need is You, My Beginning, My Forever
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 11:47:41 pm »
Nothing wrong with Koreans for me personally - sorry about that. My sis-in-laws' point is she noticed that bigla nalang dumami the koreans so parang the school was not too strict anymore regarding their admission policies.

serendipity1800

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 05:42:01 pm »
I got what you mean sis, thanks. We passed by the school last Sunday, no classes ofcourse, we just want to 'feel' the vicinity. Mukhang matraffic during regular days coz of the narrow roads if you're coming from Commonwealth Ave. There's a big tarpaulin outside congratulating their graduates who passed entrance exams to top universities..ang daming Korean-sounding names sa list, I think about 50%...

mitch2526

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:25:55 pm »
For anyone interested in this school, I teach there, so you can PM me for questions.

Yes, there are a lot of Koreans. They can be noisy and disinterested because they may not plan to stay long.

Regarding academic standards,  the school adjusts to the capacity of the students.

If you are okay with this, then go ahead.

I graduated from a top high school and most of our graduates enter Ateneo, UP.  The not so bright ones from my high school enter de la salle, and a lot passed UST. So my standards are pretty high academically.

Benedictine has around 40 students each year only. And last year 1 passed Ateneo, a couple passed DLSU, another UST.... The thing is around 15 were Koreans so I guess they wanted to go study elsewhere.

Blogging about your travels is a way to give back.

http://foodtraveljapan.wordpress.com/

ricielletrading28

• Probationary
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 02:27:25 am »
I am very satisfied with Benedictine International School. They are a mix of traditional and progressive. Traditional because they offer the traditional subjects plus Mandarin which they start teaching at 1st grade. They have homeworks and a traditional grading system. Progressive because they allow the kids enough space to express themselves even during classes - and I like that. I don't like the idea of "suppressing a child". I think allowing kids to express themselves actually help them bring out the best from within. Their doors are also open to kids with "challenges". These aspects of   help a lot in character building. To me, school is academics + athletics + character & personality development. My child does not label another child because of the "color of his skin". She also does not see anything wrong with kids who have "challenges". She merely sees other kids as schoolmates and/or friends.

We moved back to the Philippines from the States 2-years ago and one thing I like about the school is the cultural mix. We are, after all, living in a "global community" right now and children have to be raised nowadays as "global citizens". The cultural mix, I think, is vital in character development. Most of the foreign students are Koreans, yes, but we don't see anything wrong with that. Some of our child's closest friends are in fact Koreans. The schools population is a mix of Filipinos, [textspeak!]-Ams, [textspeak!]-Chinese, Koreans, Chinese, etc.

My daughter just turned 7 a few months ago and will be in 2nd Grade at the start of the new schoolyear on June 2012. She is thriving in the school, both in academics and in athletics. Of course, that makes us very happy. I think every parent would be happy if their child is in the top level of their class, right?

I also like the fact that their class sizes are small, 15 usually, because you get your money's worth since the a teacher would be more effective dealing with 15 students than with 40. Their tuition fee is almost the same as that of other well-known and long-established exclusive schools like those 2 located in Katipunan Avenue. But this school's class size is smaller than that of those other schools that have 30-40 per class. I basically divided the tuition fee by the number of students to find out the "money value" that our child is getting. Example. P80T divided by 15 students versus P80T divided by 40 students. You do the math.

The administration too has been very supportive of our young child's very very young athletic career. She competes in age-group and inter-school swimming. The school endorsed our child as their official rep in an inter-school swim meet where, as a 6-year old in October 2011, she gained tremendous experience competing against 12 year old grade-school athletes from other schools. For an athlete, experience in major competitions is very important because it brings out the best in them since they are competing against "the best of the best".

Of course, every school has its own share of imperfections. Even the academic standards of the best universities go up-and-down. What's important is that you see that the school is doing something to either uplift their standards or "regain it's previous glory". On a personal note, it would really make me happy if they started teaching "Singapore math". I also am hoping that they build a stronger sports program. They may only have a covered court (not a gym) and no swimming pool right now but these can simply addressed through an arrangment with the nearby sports club. An auditorium would also be a welcome addition.

Some might argue that some of the students in this school are transferees from other bigger and long-established schools. But I will also argue that it is a fact that some of the students from this school (some were not even at the top of their class) have also transferred to those same bigger and long-established schools.

And one more thing I like about this school is that the owners themselves are personally and actively involved in running the school. That shows their concern in building the school's reputation and maintaining/uplifting the school's standards. Their presence and active participation also makes them fully aware of the changes or improvements that might be needed by the school.

As a final note, if you were to ask me to rate my satifaction of the school on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the highest, I would say "8".

tinapa

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 05:46:58 am »
nagaral kuya ko ng 1 year dyan, lahat ng kaklase niya kick-out rin ng ibang school  :P

chester_hayden

• Probationary
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 09:08:16 pm »
Here we can check the many articles about the relationship and come to know that the important point about the tips for making the strong relations and you can check and get the solution about the writeourpapers problems of life then you meet here more people then you should follow the advice from the stories of the people. Sometimes we can enjoy a lot of the funny point of the peoples.

MiriamSalpeter

• Probationary
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 12:09:47 am »
At times most of us hate writing and for people who don?t like to do English writing and writing online, there are some marvelous tools to check your writing like Grammarly and the dictionary tool. You can also search for online writing tools, free writing tools and even for writing tools for students.
We are offering our services to provide you the best quality written essays, assignments and dissertations. So, don't worry and please don't hesitate to visit us any time at https://assignmenthelpnow.co.uk/
 8) :)

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close