watch now

Author Topic: Best & Worst Book-To-Movie Adaptations  (Read 15862 times)

*joie*

  • Guest
Re: Best & Worst Book-To-Movie Adaptations
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2012, 11:21:16 am »
BEST:
A walk to remember (love the book and movie)

WORST:
The Lucky One- ugh!

megumiii

  • Guest
Re: Best & Worst Book-To-Movie Adaptations
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2013, 09:48:52 pm »
Cream of the Crop:
Lord of the Rings - I started with The Hobbit but I couldn't even finish it because it was so irksome (and the songs were equally mind-numbing), so I gave up on the entire series. Luckily, the film franchise was the exact opposite.

Harry Potter 1-3 - I was able to watch the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone thanks to my cousin prior to reading the books because the books were banned by our Christian school (teachers had the authority to confiscate them), and my mom plus the rest of my relatives are devout Catholics who actually believe that it's a work of the devil himself. They have been brainwashing us, the younger generation, that it's a book that teaches dark magic even though they have never even read it. But that never really stopped me from sneaking in a copy.
Anyway, I really loved the first 2 films directed by Christopher Columbus. As for Prisoner of Azkaban, I wasn't really fond of it the first time I watched it mainly because I had a crush on Remus Lupin, and the actor who played him didn't live up to my expectations. Also, it didn't help that the film was dark and mysterious. But after re-watching it, I've grown to love it, and now it's my favorite Harry Potter book AND film.

1408 - Honestly, the film made me paranoid for a few days. I was scared out of my wits and had a difficult time sleeping at night. I came across the book a few months after watching the film, but I was more creeped out by the movie.

Hunger Games - I didn't like the trilogy. When I read the first book, I couldn't help comparing it to Battle Royale, a film I dearly loved and connected to. Up to this day, I still believe Battle Royale is a better plot than Hunger Games. The idea of beautifying the contestants and giving them mentor-ship and training just sounded ridiculous. Also the fact that the audience can give gifts to the contestants was hghly unnecessary. I didn't even cry at any of the deaths (even the little girl in the first book), and I'm not convinced of the romantic relationship between Katniss and Peeta. It felt forced and seemed to have sprung out of nowhere. I liked Gale best.
As for the film, it was a lot better (maybe because I like the leads save for Liam Hemsworth). It's definitely something I'd like to watch it again.

A Walk to Remember - Not a tear was shed despite reading the book over and over, but I bawled my eyes at the film (maybe due to the added BGMs and the great acting of Mandy Moore?). I loved the movie; I remember watching it over and over again, and crying at the same scenes over and over as well.

The Notebook - I watched the film before reading the book, and I cried a lot. The book was a disappointment, though. It is by this time that

The Chronicles of Narnia - The films did the novels justice. I equally loved and enjoyed both, which was a big surprise. I did read the books first before watching the films, but I was not disappointed at all in the movies. All I felt was satisfaction after watching each film. This is obviously a feat for me - loving BOTH the books AND the films.

Devil Wears Prada - I watched the film prior to reading the book. The movie was really well-made, and I love the transformation the protagonist underwent (I also remember fawning over the gorgeous clothes, shoes, bags, etc). I mostly picked up the book because I loved the film, but I couldn't even remember if I was able to finish the novel or not. All I can recall is that the book was a huge disappointment and a bore.

Breaking Dawn Parts I and II - New Moon and Breaking Dawn are my least favorite Twilight books, but I hated Breaking Dawn best because of part one where Bella was being annoying and hard-headed about the baby, but the movie was a pleasant surprise. It tugged at my heartstrings and although I was so against the vampire fetus in the book, the movie made me completely switch to the other side. I admit I shed tears (albeit silently) when Bella was fighting for her baby. By then, I was already tolerant of Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson's faces so they didn't bother me much anymore.

So-so:
Percy Jackson and the Olympians - I love the series (I read it first). As for the film, all I loved there was the super cute Logan Lerman. I did enjoy the film (except Uma Thurman as Medusa), but it just wasn't worth raving about.

Eragon - The series is probably one of the most well-written books in Young Adult history but they were never my favorite because it was so easy to get lost and confused in the story. There were a lot of terms, names, places, etc and I didn't really appreciate them. The movie adaptation was decent though, and made things a lot simpler. On the downside, it's probably a huge let-down to Christopher Paolini's followers.

Cirque du Freak - I read the books prior to watching the film. I was so engulfed in the series, but I couldn't remember feeling the same way towards the movie.

Worst:
Twilight and New Moon - I must admit I was a huge fan of the series (and Edward Cullen) when I first read them back in high school, so I was expecting a lot from the film franchise. But when I found out that Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson were miscast as the leads, I was sorely disappointed (and not to mention, infuriated). I'm speechless over the poor cast, acting, punch lines, script, and direction. Simply cringe-worthy.

Angels & Demons - My favorite Dan Brown novel. The movie, however, was a disappointment. And it doesn't help that I don't like Tom Hanks at all. Ewan McGregor as the Camerlengo is a perfect cast. I just don't understand why they had to change his name.

Da Vinci Code - Similar thought to Angels & Demons.

The Last Song - I cried a river over the novel because I could relate to Ronnie and made me miss my dad a whole lot more. Despite Nicholas Sparks being renowned for writing tear-jerkers, I could only remember crying at 2 of his books (Message in a Bottle and The Last Song), so I wasn't expecting a lot from this book when I started it but it definitely exceeded expectations.
As for the film, I HATED it. It's bad enough that 2 of the faces I hate seeing (Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth) are the leads themselves, but as for the acting? I was cringing the entire time.

Confessions of a Shopaholic - I love the book series (though I initially hated the novels but came to love them afterwards)! As for the movie, I wasn't impressed. Made Becky Bloomwood even more shallow, ditsy, and superficial.

Memoirs of a Geisha - I cried at the novel. The film was a disappointment though. And it didn't help that I always cringed whenever I heard them speak English.

Beastly - I enjoyed reading the book, but as for the film, it was another let-down. I dislike Vanessa Hudgens.

The Host - Probably my favorite novel of Stephanie Meyer (I favored this a lot over Twilight). Due to that, I was expecting a lot from this, but unfortunately found myself cringing throughout the entire duration of the film. The script and the acting were just awful. I couldn't sense any chemistry between the characters. And Emily Browning at the end just looked plain ugly.

Harry Potter 4-7 Part I and II - It's no secret that I'm a huge follower of the book series, and I couldn't think of anything negative to say about them. Harry Potter movies 4-7, on the other hand, were a huge disappointment until the end. And there I was hoping that the franchise would redeem itself by the last film. I guess the books were already complex by book 4 that it's just impossible for the films to keep up and do the rest justice. Then again, it didn't stop me from anticipating each film release, and watching them at premiere nights. I still cried at roughly the same scenes (Part I), but in the very last film, I think I was mostly shedding tears because I won't be able to see Harry Potter again on the big screen, and I hate bidding farewell to the books that I grew up with and held close to my heart.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:38:13 am by megumiii »

khriseeee

  • Guest
Re: Best & Worst Book-To-Movie Adaptations
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2013, 12:41:01 am »
I have a mindset that the book will always be better than the movie, so when a movie comes along that's better than the book, I'm impressed! I will also read the book before the movie comes out.

Best
Little Women - one of my favorite books and movies! I will ALWAYS stop and watch this whenever I come across it on TV
Pride and Prejudice - the one with Keira Knightly (sp?), so kilig! Funny also how they made her seem dowdy and not as pretty.
The Notebook - I liked the movie better than the book. The boat scene is to die for and no one can deny the chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams
A Walk To Remember - I liked the movie better than the book, I dunno, the book seemed so rushed.
The Hunger Games - One of my favorite series so I was very worried the movie would be a bomb, but I was pleasantly surprised! I can't wait for Catching Fire!
The Help - All the actresses were believable, the condescending gazes and intonations hurt more on screen than in the book. I cried when one of the characters was fired and she was keeping herself from crying while the little girl she took care of cried after her.


Worst
Twilight - the director could not have chosen two more stoic actors to play the roles!
The Time Traveller's Wife - one of my favorite books, I was really disappointed
Harry Potter - I completely separated the book from the movies, no point in comparing
The Devil Wears Prada - I liked the book better
Confessions of a Shopaholic - Becky is so much deeper than her shopping habits, it didn't come across that way in the movie
PS I Love You - Liked the book better
One Day - Uhhh Anne Hathaway should be banned from doing British accents!

CebuGem did you mean the one with Pierce Brosnan? I liked that version, in fact my mom loves it!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:44:19 am by khriseeee »

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close