Author Topic: Would you date an atheist?  (Read 11475 times)

lucifell

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 11:26:50 am »
Yes. I'm currently still in a relationship with one. I would prefer to date an atheist than a very devout religious person that base their life and actions on some book and antiquated dogmas . I had a religious upbringing but that didn't stop me from asking questions. And when no answer was  given I started to look for it elsewhere. Now I'm Agnostic.
Atheist  doesn't necessarily mean they are smarter. They just really like to study anything that would be handy when it comes to religious debates. LOL.

drewporter

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 02:33:25 pm »
i dont see any problem with dating an atheist.

is there any?

i am an atheist..


chengkii

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 11:09:27 pm »
Religion can be an issue for a couple when they decide to get married.
I would think that Atheists just doesn't want to be blind followers. They need to find real tangible reasons to believe in something.

snooky

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 09:32:57 am »
^grabe naman.

Is this what makes religion so good?

shopaholic18

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 01:02:04 pm »
i prefer not to din, para wala lang complications, i haven't dated anyone yet din. but i'm not the religious type naman, good to know my guy is a Catholic as well.

pinkberries

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 10:38:08 pm »

yes. i enjoy having conversations with them.  mas logical, mas matalino, mas scientific mag isip, mas gusto ko.   i dont usually talk about religion during dates but i need someone who believes in good and bad karma.  i respect differences kaya okay lang sa akin kung atheist siya. 

raven03

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2011, 02:57:40 am »
No, kasi I don't want my kids getting confused. I want them growing up as Christians.

Well, some would say date pa lang naman, pero I'm not the type who'd waste my time. Pwede naman kaming maging friends na lang, wag na mag-date. =)

OD

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 08:17:49 am »
i had but in that respect, i held qualms. The guy's very smart indeed. I had the most stimulating and profound discussions with him. We hardly covered doctrines and dogmas because it's one facet in my existence that Ive not fully come to terms with. I used to be pious but I wasnt the typical believer who observed or followed every catholic obligation (i.e regular mass attendance, confessions etc.) to a T. But most of my ideals were primarily and firmly grounded on catholic principles.

And the same goes for my family. Thus, it made me adamant of pursuing formal relations with him, amongst other reasons. I was wary of what the family might say when they get to know abt the guy's ethos. I got ahead of myself when I became convinced that I wont be able to defend him or the relationship as it is an aspect that matters greatly for the family, for my family. And I wish I did otherwise.

lucifell

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 08:22:46 am »
^^I grew up a Christian, but still got confused. LOL. Lots of questions kasi. Hayz I miss those day of Easter Egg Hunting, Holy Week na kasi :)


r3ddd

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 02:06:36 am »
date lang pala eh... no problem.
marrying an atheist?... ibang usapan na yon.

ReservoirDogs

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 09:56:39 pm »
I'm engaged to an atheist.  I'm an atheist myself.  I asked my bf if he would date a believer, he said probably not. :)  Question is, would I date a religious person? Probably not. 

We wanted a civil wedding, but my mom wants to have us to have a Catholic wedding. Ayoko nang masama ng loob ang mom ko, so we agreed to a Catholic wedding; BUT hanggang wedding rite lang kami papayag, wala ng mass.

sheh-la22

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2011, 12:07:33 am »
> ako hindi. kase malakas pananampalataya ko na may Dyos.ok lang sana kung magkaiba ang religion namin..pero yung paniniwala na may Dyos o wala , malaking usapin yun para sakin :)

tabbru

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 11:25:10 pm »
I wanted to. I just never had the chance hehe.

kawen

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 06:24:11 pm »
Siguro hindi.. because I think in the future I want to get married with God's blessing and I am a Catholic, somehow it is important that we share the same faith, kahit hindi kame ganun ka religious as long as we believe in God..

Jon24

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2011, 08:34:32 am »
Hello! [textspeak!] maki-join? Hehe. I'm an aetheist too and my gf is a nonpractising catholic. She doesn't believe in religious institutions but she retains her belief in God. The existence of a Higher Being is something she can't give up. It's not so much of a problem because we don't talk much about it. But whenever I start arguing on the subject of God or whenever I sound blasphemous to her, a dispute begins. We haven't talked much about the issue in the context of married life yet because each time I express my opinion, I can see her disappointment in her face. I feel that she still can't accept the fact that she's with a nonbeliever. I was a catholic when i was still courting her but my beliefs changed later on. Maybe her idea of me as her suitable partner got shattered. Now I'm not sure if this is gonna end up in marriage. It's a major issue pag nabuksan. Would I date a catholic? If there'd be another chance, probably not. I'd rather date an aetheist who's got her own reasons for being so.

ReservoirDogs

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2011, 10:30:36 am »
^^

My fiance's friend had the same problem as yours.  The guy is an atheist, while the girl is a deist.  The guy never tried to engage in any debates about with his gf.  He loved his so much, but sadly, the girl did break up with him.  They were together for more than 8 years ha.  Nung una, catholic din ang guy tapos later on, nagbago na ang paniniwala nya. The girl found it hard to accept that her bf did not believe in God.  She wanted him to pray with her, but the guy did not want to.  So dun nagsimula yung gulo nila.

Medyo mahirap if iba kayo ng beliefs lalo na you guys are in a serious relationship.  For example, how would you raise your kids?  mga ganyang issue dapat pinag-uusapan nyo if ever you see this as a long-term relationship.

Jon24

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2011, 11:32:53 am »
Medyo mahirap if iba kayo ng beliefs lalo na you guys are in a serious relationship.  For example, how would you raise your kids?  mga ganyang issue dapat pinag-uusapan nyo if ever you see this as a long-term relationship.

True. I remember pala nag-away na kami once and she cried hard I had to console her by saying/lying that I will try to go back to the fold. But I didn't make any effort at all. I, however, try to keep my atheism to myself as much as possible just to avoid war.  Is this BS?

She did asked me once about raising kids, going to church, wedding and stuff believers do but I brushed off the topic, tried to perk her up instead because I knew she'll build a Berlin Wall between us for the rest of the day or week. Cold war, you know. We never really sat down and get serious on that subject. Sometimes it makes me think that we're climbing up a higher ground as months go by and looking for a deeper place to dive from. Kasi, who knows, it might be a big fat problem later in life, i.e., if we get married. We've been together for 3 years now, by the way.

ReservoirDogs

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2011, 02:07:46 pm »
Kasi, who knows, it might be a big fat problem later in life, i.e., if we get married. We've been together for 3 years now, by the way.

Sorry ha, if it seems na tinatakot kita. :D But actually it will be a big problem, not might. Re: raising children, is your gf open-minded? My fiance and I (we're both atheists) want to raise our kid exposed to different kinds of religion (and criticisms of each religion), hindi lang Catholicism.   Then our kid can later on choose if he wants to believe and subscribe to a particular religion, or if he wants to be an atheist as well.  If open-minded ang gf mo, you might want to suggest that.  pero if she wants you and your kids to be catholic, you should really think hard about your relationship.  Kasi for me, what's the point of continuing the relationship if you know down the road maghihiwalay din kayo because of different beliefs? :)

Quote
I, however, try to keep my atheism to myself as much as possible just to avoid war.  Is this BS?

No, not at all. Ganyan din ginawa ng friend ng fiance ko kasi nga mahal nya ex nya.  He avoided ANY topics about religion para walang away. respeto lang. But yun nga, the girl wanted him to believe.  Eh parang he'd be fooling himself if he did  just that. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:12:49 pm by ReservoirDogs »

baliwsayo

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2011, 09:07:39 am »
Kaya lagi sabi eh smart kasi nga usually mga smart na tao feeling nila sila na pinakasmart sa lahat maski kay God. Ayoko ng walang pinaniniwalaan na Supreme Being so I don't think I'd get attracted sa mga atheist.. turn off na kasi ako kagad sa way pa lang ng pananalita na parang sila yun pinakamagaling (based lang po eto sa sarili kong experience sa pakikisalamuha sa mga atheist na kilala ko).  8)

Jon24

  • Guest
Re: Would you date an atheist?
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2011, 02:14:03 pm »
Sorry ha, if it seems na tinatakot kita. :D But actually it will be a big problem, not might. Re: raising children, is your gf open-minded? My fiance and I (we're both atheists) want to raise our kid exposed to different kinds of religion (and criticisms of each religion), hindi lang Catholicism.   Then our kid can later on choose if he wants to believe and subscribe to a particular religion, or if he wants to be an atheist as well.  If open-minded ang gf mo, you might want to suggest that.  pero if she wants you and your kids to be catholic, you should really think hard about your relationship.  Kasi for me, what's the point of continuing the relationship if you know down the road maghihiwalay din kayo because of different beliefs? :)

Those questions still loom over our relationship. I can only guess that her faith is something that she couldn't compromise. In my case, it's something I can't fake. I know this is a big work to be done, but I think I should be starting to open up to her. If I fail, at least I tried. Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts/experiences!

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close