watch now

Author Topic: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa  (Read 307959 times)

prettycha

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 08:11:01 am »
based on my feedbacks sa mga kilala ko graduate ng st. scho, they have a formidable elementary department compared to their h.s department.

When it comes to boy's school,  I am partial with La Salle Greenhills because I find their students more well-rounded.  There was also a study conducted (not sure if it was Free Press magazine)  years back that 6 out of ten CEO-Billionaires are products of LSGH.

CesDizon

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 08:51:00 pm »
Hi. There is a school in UP Village called Akademeia. It is a school for the highly able, which means their curriculum is enhanced and enriched. I visited it a few months ago and will be enrolling my 3 kids in that school.

The favorite things I found out about Akademeia when I visited are:
1) Each student has an Individualized Education Plan. So they all have unique challenges, behavioral modification plans, etc.

2) All their activities aim to touch the eight multiple intelligences: Linguistic intelligence ("word smart")
Logical-mathematical intelligence ("number/reasoning smart")
Spatial intelligence ("picture smart")
Bodily-Kinesthetic intelligence ("body smart")
Musical intelligence ("music smart")
Interpersonal intelligence ("people smart")
Intrapersonal intelligence ("self smart")
Naturalist intelligence ("nature smart")

3) They address visual, auditory, learners. They can even adjust projects, seatworks, etc to the learning style of children.

4) They have a MINIMAL HOMEWORK POLICY because they believe children need time with family and to pursue other hobbies and skills.

5) If your child is into sports, instruments, etc. , they are lenient with absences and help your child catch up.

6) They believe in using the world as their classroom. They have many field trips, resource speakers, competitions, and even online experiences.

7) They have many other subjects not offered in traditional school.

8) They believe it is the teacher's responsibility to teach the students so they don't agree with tutors except in certain cases plus they take it upon themselves to make sure the students learn

9) Religion is an optional subjects but they have a service leaning subject. They built homes tru gawad kalinga and have raised funds for Ondoy victims. I think they also teach the less privilege.

I can't say enough good things about this school. My kids sat in for 3 days and they didn't want to go back to their current school. Hahahaha.

When I read this thread, I figured I should share.

Hope this helps.

chakchuk

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 02:28:41 pm »
wow nice school... sana may ganyan din klaseng school dito sa may sta. ana....

i've heard comments about o.b montessori here in sta. ana,,, if i'm willing to pay high tuition fees enroll na lang daw my kid at st. scho... not really sure what their reason is.... gusto ko pa naman sana sa o.b. montessori since malapit sya dito sa amin... kaya lang i've heard lot of feedbacks na ... from teachers and parents as well.. though may mga good feedbacks din naman from parents....

hay....

ichelie

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 02:16:39 pm »
its good that there's a thread like this.  it means, we parents wants the best education for our kids.  i just want to share with you that a local study among parents of Ateneo High School achievers were conducted on the best practices they did for their kids to succeed - either in co or extra curricular.  Results pointed to different factors regarding PARENTAL involvement.   THe same study is made among public high schools in marikina and Bulacan.  Results show:  the same PARENTAL factors.  Bottom line, it's not the school that would make the kids reaaly do well, its OUR involvement and parenting in our child's lives.

these studies are published into 2 books, PM me if you are interested.

Also, I am an educator by profession, and has been to 3 different exclusive schools.  Ive seen how some students bloom in the traditional system and some cannot cope well.  I wrote a blog about the best school for our kids.  As for now, my son is in preschool, Im getting feedbacks and looking around too for the best grade school to put him.  Im considering a lot of factors - proximity, rates, teaching method, and if they would fit the learning style of my son.  I have about 2 more years to look around and put what I wrote in practice.

chakchuk

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 09:10:18 am »
hi sis ichelle... i've already sent pm... please share your research... TIA

miksha

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 12:30:54 pm »
how about Aguinaldo International School (ermita, manila)? Ito ata ang grade-HS department nang Emilio Aguinaldo College

ichelie

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 07:20:59 pm »
hi sis ichelle... i've already sent pm... please share your research... TIA

pm sent sis :)

kreez

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 09:56:55 pm »
^sis ako din pashre naman thanks  :D, baby palang ang little one but it never hurts to be prepared diba

ichelie

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 05:08:47 pm »
Ill share it na, the book is based on a study of Best Parent Practices  Among Ateneo HS Achievers:

* HELPING YOUR CHILDREN DO WELL IN SCHOOL, book and manual, Anvil, 2004
by: Queena Lee-Chua (Ateneo Psychology professor, columnist for PDI) and Maribel Sison- Dionisio (Parenting Expert of Ch2 Umagang Kay Ganda, Marriage Counselor, head of Love Institute).  both have regular columns at Metro Working Moms

Check it out at NBS or PM me if you cant find a copy.

This study is replicated in public schools in Marikina and Bulacan, the book is called Magaling and Pinoy!

The same results of public and private all boils to how children are attended to and parented by the PARENTS!


chakchuk

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 11:33:31 pm »
tnx sis ichelie

Amphitrite

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2010, 10:47:19 pm »
sis chukchak pa-share naman po yung feedbacks na narinig mo about OB Montessori Sta.Ana, dyan kasi namin balak i-enroll ng grade 1 son namin next year.

thanks
 ;)
 

schoolkidph

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2010, 01:23:19 am »
Hi. I very much agree with mommy ichelie that parental involvement is important.  Especially from preschool to grade 3, children must be well guided in forming good study habits.

I have 2 sons in Ateneo grade school and this is the school that I really aimed for them to attend, for many reasons.  It is a Filipino Catholic school and it is a traditional school.

As sis marose17 mentioned, there is no issue on the academic program as it is a topnotch school. But just to give an update, Ateneo has adapted the Singapore method of teaching Math and Science.  Xavier school (also a Jesuit school like Ateneo) also has Singapore Math and Science.  I believe KEYS school also teaches this. They still teach Araling Panlipunan (taught in tagalog) whereas some schools teach Social Studies. Each classroom now has a computer and multimedia projector. Teachers are encouraged to use this equipment to enhance the lessons. Yes, the class size is big but the teachers are well-trained to handle them.

They also have a superb infirmary/clinic. With that big of a population, they really have good doctors and assistants on duty. They just don't treat injuries or issue warnings/bulletins, they also have a great program to promote good health habits.

Yes, there may be a lot of homework on some days and could stressful at times, especially when I have to assist 2 kids but there's a lot of ways to manage it. Also, I realized that in some schools, there seems to be less homework but they have longer class hours which includes study period where they can already do their homework there or something.  Prep and Grade 1 level in Ateneo school hours are only 4 hours.  for Grades 2-3, they're out by 1:30pm. Grades 4-7, they're out by 2:20 or 3pm, depending on the day.  The parent community is strong also which is good.

They don't have to memorize the bones in grade 3. I think the most that they had to memorize in grade 3 was a tagalog declamation piece for choral recitation. 

My kids are happy with their school. They have time to play with their village friends in the afternoon. They get to watch television and play with their toys.  They get 9 hours of sleep everyday.

As for bullying, that happens everywhere, even at home or at the workplace.  It just seems a bigger issue in big schools because there are much more kids. Again, it is up to us parents to raise our kids right.. not to bully and not to be bullied.

Not everything easy is good. I don't want everything to be easy to my kids. If there's no challenge, they will have no motivation to improve themselves and they will not have goals to make a difference in the world. Hard work can be good too :)

.. just my thoughts that I want to share..

marose17

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2010, 09:12:24 am »
^ Thanks for the feedback on Ateneo.  It's the only all-boys school that I am considering for my twin boys and the reason why my husband and I chose to live in a village close to it despite the fact that we both work in Makati. :)

It's good to know that your boys are happy there.  My number one concern really is the homework load because I am a working mom and I get to go home quite late so I am really worried as to how I can help them with their schoolwork with the hectic schedule I have.  And the bullying too, I guess, but there are techniques on how to deal with bullies.  Bullying is quite rare, even non-existent, in the smaller school I am also considering. 

Thanks so much for your insights!  My kids will be in prep in 2 1/2 years or so and I am really gathering as much information as I can about the right grade school for both of them.  Ultimately, it will boil down to what is the best fit for them.

ellyn0803

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 07:17:15 am »
I hope somebody will post their feedbacks about St. Theresa's College in QC. Husband said that if we're going to enroll our daughter in an all girls school, it should be in STC.

We wanted Poveda sana but I have to admit that their tuition fee is way beyond to our budget.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 04:26:49 am by ellyn0803 »

miksha

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 03:43:15 pm »
OT: what are the things that i need to prepare fro admission/enrollment to grade school?

ichelie

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 06:31:13 pm »
^ depends from school to school.

usually, they need birth certificate NSO, baptismal (if catholic school), report card from last school attended, marriage cert of parents (if applicable), then the entrance test and fees. :)

miksha

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 07:25:39 pm »
^ depends from school to school.

usually, they need birth certificate NSO, baptismal (if catholic school), report card from last school attended, marriage cert of parents (if applicable), then the entrance test and fees. :)

thank you! if ever kase sa pilipinas na mag grade school ang anak ko. may mga nanghihingi pa ba ng good moral character paper and letter from principal?

ichelie

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2010, 08:30:47 pm »
^ meron pa din.  not just good moral but a written recommendation form.  may schools who give the forms to the parent upon application.  if youre abroad, secure that recommendation from the teacher.  depends sa school pa din.

chakchuk

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2010, 10:21:58 am »
Mga sis... any feedback naman from JASMS(PWU) TAFT for gradeschool... tnx

binggay

  • Guest
Re: GRADE SCHOOLS - feedbacks and reviewa
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2010, 11:10:35 am »
 Hi Mommies,

I wanted to get feedback sana on the current tuition fees of Poveda and Miriam for Grade School (Grade 1 in particular) for those who are currently sending their kids there.

I am already trying to decide kung saan ko i-send daughter ko for grade school, and tingnan ko muna sana kung alin yung mas ma-afford namin. We're also weighing the different feedbacks we've been getting on the schools kasi. 

Would appreciate it if you can also post yung payment schemes (meron bang quarterly, semi-annual). Kung ayaw niyo po i-post, pwede rin pa PM na lang.

Would really appreciate it.

Thank you very much in advance.

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close