Author Topic: MINIMALIST LIVING  (Read 88886 times)

red_dragon8

• Minimalist in Training
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • "I am living my dream"
    • Live Life in Bliss
MINIMALIST LIVING
« on: August 22, 2010, 05:02:26 pm »
Gtalkers, what's your take on minimalist living? I am embracing this lifestyle to help me solve my issues with finances, clutter and stress. I found out the reasons why I was in deep knee clutter, almost non-existent savings and stressful life are overspending and overconsuming just to keep up with the Joneses. Oh I have to buy this latest gadget, this latest fashion, etc. It made me happy for a while but not for long. I am still struggling because the temptation to buy is always there but I know that great things begin with small steps.

I made a blog chronicling my journey to becoming a full-pledged minimalist at I hope to hear from you and hopefully gain friends who are open to this idea. Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:51:01 am by FN Administrator »
“Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are.
When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.”

-from Tao Te Ching

visit: www.livelifeinbliss.com - a site and blog dedicated to minimalism and simple living

merryjazz

• Super GirlTalker
  • Fighter and believer
Re: MINIMALIST LIVING
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 05:40:00 am »
same here sis, my husband and I are struggling to live simply so that we can cope up with our financial deficit. ang hirap pero eto, inuunti-unti namin. I'm also having a difficulty in decluttering our home. sentimental kasi kaming dalawa kaya ang hirap magbawas ng gamit at damit sa bahay.
I love you sweetie.... You are my strength and my inspiration.

ms.libra

• Junior GirlTalker
  • too blessed to be stressed :)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:02:03 am »
My husband and I are on the same boat. Nung nainternalize namin ang importance ng being simple and appreciating what really matters in life we see our savings growing and monthly we are able to save six digits na. We are both not into gadgets and just recently my mobile phone got broked and though I can afford to buy a new or have it fixed saka na [textspeak!] muna since madalas puro nega naman ang narereceive kong message. I am focusing more on intimacy with people I am supposed to text. Si hubby naman though he can afford to buy a car na hindi din kasi sayang lang daw sa gasolina eh 30-45mins nandito na siya sa house.

By jan2011 papagawa na kami ng our dream house but as we come nearer to that date mas naiisip naming gawing simple na lang at gawing paupahan ang half ng area para may rent income pa after all we are only three in the family plus one yaya. Pati sa mga gatherings I only choose what to attend hindi yung ipipilit ko lahat mapuntahan kesohodang mapuyat ako ng todo ng sunod sunod. As much as possible I value my health na talaga now lalo at lagi na din akong sakitin. Pinamimigay ko na din ang mga damit, shoes at iba pang gamit na hindi ko naman kailangan pampasikip lang ng cabinet. Even the clothes I hold for sentimental value, now I donate or give to relatives na lang. May mga relatives lang from abroad na ang hilig magpagdala ng mga abubot but once they see it na here pag-uwi, after some time dispose ko na din.

We are focusing on financial and spiritual growth na ni hubby and I am very happy and contended on our journey towards that goal.
You will never know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end...

red_dragon8

• Minimalist in Training
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • "I am living my dream"
    • Live Life in Bliss
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 12:40:06 pm »
@ merryjazz, take it slowly, we struggle if we force things, dahan dahan lang ika nga. Ganyan din ako dati, hirap na hirap din ako mag declutter stuff for sentimental reasons. But slowly, I was able to finally let go of them. What I do is I take a picture or take a swatch of the items to remind me of the good memories attached to them.

@ hisana, that same article actually cemented my commitment to minimalism. I always put it hold, then I saw the article. The article can be found here: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/business/08consume.html
I agree with you that minimalism is not just about decluttering stuff, it's also about relationships, activities, people. Minimalism is about paring down on everything that weigh us down.

@ms.libra, it's good that you had an early realization, I'm so happy for you. I am sure that with your dedication, you will reach your goal. :)

-from Tao Te Ching

visit: www.livelifeinbliss.com - a site and blog dedicated to minimalism and simple living

design21

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 11:32:05 pm »
Sana kayanin ko din ito. Declutter or spring cleaning i always practice but my entire life being a minimalist, mahirap ata magcommit.
Pray, Hope and Dont Worry

red_dragon8

• Minimalist in Training
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • "I am living my dream"
    • Live Life in Bliss
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 03:57:36 am »
^ don't force things. set your own rules, at your own pace. adapt minimalism to suit your life and not adapting your life to suit minimalism. :)

-from Tao Te Ching

chengkii

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 04:02:34 am »
Minimalist din ako e. I am not sentimental pa.

RED_DRAGON - if you are decluttering, sell some of your old stuff na. At least hindi total loss unlike pag tinapon mo.

Sa amin kasi, kukunin pa ng brother/sister ko iyun items pag ayaw na namin ni hubby. Iyun old clothes naman, may willing din na pag donate tan sa province, so diba, hindi naman talaga trash agad.
For every action there is an equal reaction. :)

tigerlili

• GirlTalker
    • http://catchtherainbow.multiply.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 04:59:24 pm »
ako medyo nakatitipid ako pag dating sa gadgets.
cellphone-papalitan lang hanggang bumigay na [textspeak!].

marami rin akong abubot na naipon since high school days pa mga little trinkets, books tyaka ibang items like clothes. What I do is ibenta sila sa garage sale.  Tapos yun napagbentahan additional funding para sa damit uli so prang recycled lang. 

I try as much as possible not to buy books na and magazines.  hineheram ko nalang or download.  Yun magazine super basa ako pag nasa delifrance or salon.

ang gastos ko na big time is yung travel at classes.

Nagyon nga gumagawa na ako ng list ng activities na hindi sa loob ng mall para iwas compulsive shopping.

red_dragon8

• Minimalist in Training
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • "I am living my dream"
    • Live Life in Bliss
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 04:22:24 pm »
@chengkii: I'm like 80% done na with my decluttering at home and segregated my essentials and non-essentials categorizing them into to sell, to donate or to trash. Wala naman talagang sayang knowing that mapapakinabangan naman siya ng iba.

@tigerlili: ako din yung cellphone ko, it's like more than four years na and it looks like matagal ko siya mapapalitan dahil ang tibay niya and battery is still very good. I no longer have that lust for the new models except for the Iphone 4 pero I realized my other gadgets naman can do the same function albeit much better.

Re: books, I also go for digital as much as possible. At least they don't occupy any physical space except for the hard disk where they were saved.

-from Tao Te Ching

C-loves-A

• GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 04:10:15 pm »
Adopting this kind of life and so far so great! I am happy living a simple life. I cant even remember the last time I bought a new dress for myself or even bought a new pair of shoes. I know I had enough, since I purchase a lot  before sa school, sa work I have this mindset na dapat araw araw iba iba ang damit, now I am contented and even happier. Stress free eh! Life is much easier pag simple  ;D

Happy Simple Life to All!

kaiz

• Super GirlTalker
  • My Son, My Happiness, My Life
    • WACKER e-Store
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 11:25:22 pm »
with my husband's lifestyle, i doubt if we can even separate essential stuffs from non essentials.
..true strength is being able to hold it all together when everyone else is expecting you to fall apart..

..i am your mona lisa..

threehundredquotes.blogspot.com

red_dragon8

• Minimalist in Training
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • "I am living my dream"
    • Live Life in Bliss
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 12:43:41 pm »
@C-loves-A: it really feels great di ba? na experience mo ba before na mas mahirap mamili ng outfit pag sandamakmak ang damit mo? Pero once you pared down your wardrobe, eventhough you have less pero mas madaling mamili.

@kaiz: paano mo naman nasabi yun? what kind of lifestyle your husband is living ba if you don't mind me asking? Does he have a tendency to hoard or something? Don't lose hope dear coz me myself can't imagine being a minimalist even from 6 months ago.

-from Tao Te Ching

C-loves-A

• GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 11:57:30 am »
red_dragon8 definitely! the simpler we live, the less stress we have. Minsan kasi we dont realize na we already have enough or even more than enough.  ;D

Healthy and Simple Living is the Key to a Happy Life

pinkk

• Life's a beach, ride with the waves~
  • Senior GirlTalker
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj7UaG03Zgg&feature=related
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 12:28:04 pm »
I like this topic alot! I was in my late 20's na when I started an overall declutter my things and my personal and love life-it really hit me after reading a mag. Choosing between needs and wants,being a space-saver and living practical and facing what is real and not, pati friends naging-"minimalist" na rin ako.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 12:34:05 pm by pinkk »

kaiz

• Super GirlTalker
  • My Son, My Happiness, My Life
    • WACKER e-Store
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 08:35:36 pm »
^nagawa ko na yang sa friends. peaceful ang life after
..true strength is being able to hold it all together when everyone else is expecting you to fall apart..

..i am your mona lisa..

threehundredquotes.blogspot.com

blush_blush

• Junior GirlTalker
    • JBP
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 08:55:09 pm »
I like this thread, :)

Sa weekend sana masimulan ko na mag declutter.
I am earning

Signature edited.

red_dragon8

• Minimalist in Training
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • "I am living my dream"
    • Live Life in Bliss
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 03:05:09 am »
I just want to inform everyone that Mr. Karol Gajda (one of the famous minimalist bloggers) has created an awesome project gathering 13 famous minimalist writers' greatest works at unbelievable offer. Even though I already have Leo's The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life, it does not stop me from getting the rest. Believe me, this is a very good way to fully immerse yourself in minimalism.

For more information click on the link below:
http://bit.ly/dmb3WI or visit my page: www.livelifeinbliss.com

After October 7, all the books will revert back to it's regular pricing.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 03:31:42 am by red_dragon8 »

-from Tao Te Ching

mondimonds

• Junior GirlTalker
  • ASTRID + ATREYU
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 02:37:18 pm »
this is interesting.  I think I want to give it a try, but the problem is I'm too sentimental. 
My life in Instagram: http://instagram.com/mondeebee#

the_missus

• GirlTalker
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 03:08:49 pm »
i like this thread. I haven't embraced the whole lifestyle since I tend to accumulate a lot of clutter and I collect all sorts of things. Both my husband and I are not into gadgets or whatever is trendy. We buy classic pieces (be it clothes or furnishings) but we read a lot so we always buy magazines and books and we don't give those away. But I always declutter our home and TRY not to add more stuff. It's a struggle, I know.

C-loves-A

• GirlTalker
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 03:43:19 pm »
Adopting this kind of living is really not easy especially we are living in a "materialistic" world. Lots of temptations! Thats why If I am tempted to buy something, I ask myself, Is it necessary? and its my goal to dispose first before buying something   :)

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close