The Pharisees during those times where very sure they poses salvation so with the other Jewish sect, until Jesus came and made them see their short comings and they hated him. I agree with you observer 54 only God knows who will be saved.
Anyway, I am a Catholic by birth and to this faith I will die, I am sure and certain either by my faith or religion, however I respect other religions for as long as they respect mine. I had the chance of working with different missionaries of other religions in a remote place in India and we had a good relationship, we all shepherd to the flocks of either group.
Sometimes, I feel sad one will mock the other citing biblical verse and interpret it in the lens of his religion, the other one will do the same so on and so forth. One verse with multiple interpretation, who is right? only God knows. interpreting the bible is not like interpreting a law (human) where in there are specific rules on construction, for the Bible there is none, much more historical realities during those times need to be known and understood. True, the Bible contain prophetic messages, but we should not forget, that some messages where indeed spoken and directed to the people during those times. My personal solution for this is that for as long as the interpretation is about love, compassion, forgiving and reconciliation it is a good interpretation. If it is an interpretation for the glorification and service of God it is good interpretation.
God bless all Christians, and all those who acknowledge the existence of one God. To the non-believers that they amy be blessed by knowing the presence of God.
At the end, as they said regardless of our faith or absence of faith, we are all blest by God, we share the same heaven, the same sun, moon, we shower on the same rain. Thats the love of God all encompassing, he does not exclude, he does not discriminate-only men do.
And so we need not hate each other, but we should worship in peace as the others likewise worship in peace, let alone God, do the judging. I find it quite disappointing when I hear some religious leaders would try to convince others to believe in them by trying to make fun or trying to debunk other religions' teachings. For one if he is confident with his own teaching, it should be presented in its own merit, and it will by justified by its own merit.