watch now

Author Topic: tokyo  (Read 151228 times)

coldsiren

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2010, 06:21:30 pm »
Hi cold siren! I'm green with envy...

March and April are the best times to visit because not only is the weather pleasantly mild (I'd say bring only a light jacket or a trench coat in case it gets cold at night), but the sakuras are in full bloom also! Don't forget to take a ton of pics! You'll have a blast!

thank you. i'm looking forward to see the sakuras.

dgca

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2010, 07:47:21 am »
we plan to visit mt fuji..day tour only. any suggestions? plan to try the tour at viator.com $154 per person..

chinita8

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2010, 01:57:21 pm »
i finally got my japan tourist visa, yey!

sis fabulosity, just wondering if the prices of 2nd hand designer bags like lv's in tokyo are really low compared relatively to buying a 2nd hand here in manila or hongkong? do you have any idea where to get good priced 2nd hand designer bags there?? i heard kasi that lv's and other designer bags  (brand new) really cost way higher in tokyo compared in hong kong or manila.  ;)

fabulosity

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2010, 11:12:43 pm »
Hi chinita8! Although I didn't check out any consignment stores in tokyo, I'm pretty sure the prices wouldn't be that great because most items in Japan are priced at least 25% more than the rest of us, and designer goods is certainly no difference. So even used items are still expensive. Besides, these second hand goods are in mint condition, so their prices are bound to be close to the orig. prices.
Check out ragtag.jp to get an idea.
It's your call though... There might be hidden gems around or a sale going on when you visit (I've heard that these second hand stores go on sale too). Only nice thing about shopping in tokyo, knock offs are rare and the limited edition goods are plentiful.
So yeah, if you got a lot of time, it may still be worth checking out. I know there's a bunch of consignment stores in Ueno and Shinjuku, and a Ragtag in Shibuya.
Hope this helps!

chinita8

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2010, 10:37:56 pm »
^thanks sis! will definitely look out for these stores, will be going to both places you mentioned.  ;D

cheaca

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2010, 02:40:32 pm »
Sis greyzie mga magkano nagastos mo sa trip mo? I'm planning my trip for next year so I have enough time to save up. :) Thanks in advance!

greyzie

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2010, 06:00:45 pm »
hi, sis cheaca! budget traveler ako, ah? [textspeak!] i spent around 20,000-25,000 yen for the basics (no souvenirs & shopping pa) for the 3-day trip. one day pala was spent visiting my friend in Gunma.

here`s the breakdown:

1st Day - Disneysea
Entrance - 5800
Meals - 2000 but i don`t really get hungry pag nasa theme parks. water is sold at 250 - yen. Pwede ka buy outside, they check the bags but hindi mabusisi.

Transpo - 1000 (RT resort line, plus train to my hostel).

Hostel - 3000/day  (twin room, shared bathroom). there might be other decent hostels but late na kasi ako nakapagpa-reserve. tulugan lang naman, pwede na. malinis naman. may mga business hotels na nagra-range 5000-7000.

2nd Day - Shibuya-Harajuku
Breakfast - 600 (Vie France, bagel & hot choco)
Lunch - Shakey`s @ harajuku, all you can eat with drinks 1400.
Dinner - allot another 1000-1500 [textspeak!].

3rd Day - Kamakura
Train Fare - around 2000 from Shinjuku (Round trip na yun plus enoden & the shonan monorail)
Meals - KFC for lunch!  750
Dinner was cup noodles while waiting for our night bus. pero allot ka na rin ng around 1000.

Sis, what I do kasi is list down all the places I want to visit. Tapos with the help of hyperdia, napa-plan ko na kung san line ng train ang gagamitin and how much the fare is. If you like, pm mo your email & i can send some of my files para you`ll have ideas na rin.
 



cheaca

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2010, 09:45:58 pm »
^ Wow, I super appreciate you posting the breakdown of your expenses sis! At least I have a more concrete idea on how much I'll be saving up on. Sige, I'll pm you sis. Tapos I'll save your post na din. Super duper thanks sis! :) Do you think it's safe to travel alone in Tokyo? I just plan on going to Tokyo lang naman.  I can speak and read a little Japanese. Budget traveler din ako sis, sa HK sa hostel din lang ako nagsstay. Sayang din pangdagdag sa shopping.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 09:49:18 pm by cheaca »

fabulosity

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2010, 12:01:00 am »
^Of all the cities I've been to, Tokyo is positively the safest, even for us ladies. Walking alone at night is no problem, even on the seedier parts of town. There are even women-only cars on trains! Only need common sense and vigilance, that's all (no need to be paranoid). 

Hyperdia is really indispensible and will definitely come in handy when exploring Tokyo, esp. considering the extensiveness of the subway system. Btw, be mindful of the type of line/train you'll be taking, some are limited, express, etc. Can be quite tricky! That's why you need hyperdia! Thank god the trains are always on time so you can really follow your itinerary.

I'm amazed at greyzie's itinerary/budget! Who knew Tokyo can be that affordable?! Then there's gonna be plenty left for shopping! Nice!



 

cheaca

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2010, 12:39:30 am »
^I know, that's why I'm inspired to go to Tokyo because sis greyzie was able to do so on a budget. Sana nga I can travel by myself, I'm in my early 20's na naman kaso lang my Mom is worry wart. Is there an easier way to navigate around Tokyo? It seems like Tokyo will be harder to navigate, via subway system, compared to HK. I just want to visit a few tourist spots, Disneyland and Sanrio Puroland. And go shopping.

greyzie

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2010, 08:16:43 am »
^i agree with sis fabulosity. tokyo is super safe, just be alert.

the basics can be less expensive. it`s the shopping that can siphon off your wallet :)
everything looks so good!

at first, i was also apprehensive sa train system but no need to worry pala basta you plan ahead.
also, translated naman lahat in tokyo and most japanese speak english and are willing to help.  you said you can read & speak nihonggo? it`s time to put it into practice :D

foxy_girlfriend

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2010, 10:45:23 am »
I suggest to go to JR (Japan Railway) office sa train stations (or better sa Narita airport na JR) and ask for JR West english map. It covers greater Tokyo. May guides din on using JR ticket machines and diff kinds of tickets.

I have a softcopy of the English JR map, even the tokyo subway map and even the map of Tokyo Disney Resort. To those who want you can pm me your email and I'll send it to you. You can use this para magka-idea kayo sa lumalabas na results sa hyperdia.

greenstar13

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2010, 09:57:23 am »
^ wow, ang helpful ng budgeting ni greyzie :)

greyzie

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2010, 05:45:48 pm »
^sis, is the weather same from april to may? are the cherry blossoms also in full bloom at those times?

hi, sis.. i came across this site when i was researching for the start of sakura. might be of help sa trip ninyo..

http://gojapan.about.com/library/special/bljapansakuraforecast2010.htm

blooming

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2010, 06:51:03 am »
is it recommended to apply for a visa first or book ticket/itinerary first? 

parang chicken and egg kasi. sa visa requirements, need to pay na for the ticket/package.  paano nyo ginawa sis?

how long is the visa - single entry ba lagi ang ginagrant nila?

blooming

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2010, 06:51:54 am »
another question - is it advisable to bring kids sa tokyo?  mag-e-enjoy kaya sila aside from Disneyland?

fabulosity

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2010, 09:58:30 am »
^Kids will have a blast in Tokyo, no doubt about it! There's just so much to experience, and everything you see is like an assault to the senses. 
Highly recommend these places: Ghibli museum
Sanrio Puroland
Disneyland and Disneysea
Harajuku on a sunday to see the cosplayers
Miraikan to see Asimo
Sega Joypolis
Akihabara especially for the techies and anime lovers
Sony showroom
Btw, how old are your kids? If they're already in their teens, I'd definitely take them to Shibuya 109.
Have them experience riding the shinkansen also! They'd be thrilled!
So yeah, definitely bring the kiddies with you!

blooming

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2010, 12:24:58 am »
Thanks for your response sis!

Have not been to Tokyo kasi so I am now thinking of joining a tour muna, then kung may idea nako, tsaka nako magpunta ng walang tour.

Here is the tour package:

Day 1:  Arrive Narita

Day 2 Narita – Mt Fuji – Hakone National Park – Tokyo
Mt Fuji, Lake Kawaguchi, Gotemba Chelsea Premium Outlets, Hakone National Park, Lake Ashi, Owakudani Boiling Valley, Shinjuku Kabukicho Night Street

Day 3 and 4:  Tokyo Disney Resort

Day 5:  Free day

Day 6:  Tokyo City tour
Tsukiji Fish market, ASakusa Kannon Temple, Nakamise Shopping street, Odaiba Park, Daiba Little Hong Kong, Venus Fort, Toyota Cars Showroom, Burberry Black Label Shop & Fancy Shop.  Shibuya, Hachiko dog statue

Day 7:  Depart Tokyo


Parang and daming kulang from your list:  Sanrio, Harajuku on a Sunday, Miraikan, Sega Joypolis, Akihabara, Sony  Showroom, Ghibli museum, Bullet train.  Kids are 8-10yo.

greyzie

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2010, 01:55:10 pm »
hi, sis!

your package tour looks good naman.. daming areas na naco-cover for a day.

i think your kids will enjoy the Ghibli Anime Museum & the Miraikan. Maybe you can do that during your free day. Take note lang sa Ghibli, need booking prior to the visit. If you have a daughter and likes Hello Kitty (Sanrio Characters), she`ll enjoy Puroland. I haven`t been there but I`m planning another Tokyo trip before I go back to the Phils.

Dami kasing pwedeng gawin/puntahan sa Tokyo and the nearby areas. Hindi pa namention ang Kamakura, little Kyoto of Tokyo.

Btw, Harajuku on a Sunday is like Divisoria during Christmas season..minus the pickpockets nga lang ;)

Enjoy you trip, sis!


luckypal

  • Guest
Re: tokyo
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2010, 05:23:49 pm »
Exciting! A trip to put in my bucket list :)

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close