watch now

Author Topic: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION  (Read 252132 times)

icysunitz

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #300 on: October 21, 2010, 05:45:29 pm »
d pa ako nagback read but i hate it when i hear people say confeerm.  It is just so annoying!  you don't say The Feerm.

i believe the correct pronunciation would be kuhn-furm... kelang ba yan naging long E? hehe... =)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 11:12:29 pm by icysunitz »

ausie

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #301 on: October 21, 2010, 06:59:23 pm »
sis sushisundance, i remembered an incident when I was in college about the term meringue. I was working part time and there was this bakery near the office. I wanted to buy meringue and was thinking twice of saying it with the right pronunciation because I thought maybe the tindera wouldn't understand so I said:

Me: Miss pabili po ng me-reng-ge.
Tindera: (taas kilay) Ah muh-rang ho ba?

hayzzz :)

ms. independent

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #302 on: October 21, 2010, 10:36:43 pm »
joining..

armoire- armwar (french for cabinet)

homme- om (french for men)

coccinelle - ko-chi-nel (french for butterfly)

noir - nwar

bouy- bu-wee

arc en ciel- ark en shel

papillon- pa-pi-yon

paradis- pa-ra-di

fille- fill

all french words..


sushisundance

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #303 on: October 22, 2010, 07:47:17 am »
sis sushisundance, i remembered an incident when I was in college about the term meringue. I was working part time and there was this bakery near the office. I wanted to buy meringue and was thinking twice of saying it with the right pronunciation because I thought maybe the tindera wouldn't understand so I said:

Me: Miss pabili po ng me-reng-ge.
Tindera: (taas kilay) Ah muh-rang ho ba?

hayzzz :)

hahaha! na-correct ka pa tuloy :)

kitten^

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #304 on: October 22, 2010, 08:49:03 am »
pa join po.... :)

jamie_0117

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #305 on: October 22, 2010, 08:57:18 am »
Me: Miss pabili po ng me-reng-ge.
Tindera: (taas kilay) Ah muh-rang ho ba?

Haha, natawa ko dito promise! :)

In American movies, I always hear them say "da-ta" not "day-ta" like "da-ta-beys" for database. Anyway, I think as long as you could be understood, everything's fine

On data, pwede kahit ano. :)

On localization (i.e. pag nasa Pinas ka, kahit ano pronunciation basta naiintindihan), medyo napapa-isip ako dito. IMO, parang backward thinking eh, diba almost everything, patungo na sa globalization (although syempre meron pa din mga tao na anti-globalization), tapos tayo maglo-localize ng words? (Did I make sense?)

BDV

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #306 on: October 22, 2010, 02:10:33 pm »
Question: How do you pronounce Long champ's Le Pliage and Planetes?

sushisundance

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #307 on: October 22, 2010, 10:08:00 pm »
Haha, natawa ko dito promise! :)

On data, pwede kahit ano. :)

On localization (i.e. pag nasa Pinas ka, kahit ano pronunciation basta naiintindihan), medyo napapa-isip ako dito. IMO, parang backward thinking eh, diba almost everything, patungo na sa globalization (although syempre meron pa din mga tao na anti-globalization), tapos tayo maglo-localize ng words? (Did I make sense?)

For me, the most important thing is that you get to understand each other(even if it means you have to localize words), kasi you cannot correct everyone naman. Like when you hear somebody pronounce a word incorrectly, you cannot just correct him right then and there. Purpose naman ng speech is to get your message across diba? What if you come across somebody na hindi naman nya maintindihan ang meringue (muh-rang), ipipilit mo parin na muh-rang or sasabihin mo na me-reng-ge? Just my opinion.  ;)

nutata

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #308 on: October 22, 2010, 11:34:26 pm »

On localization (i.e. pag nasa Pinas ka, kahit ano pronunciation basta naiintindihan), medyo napapa-isip ako dito. IMO, parang backward thinking eh, diba almost everything, patungo na sa globalization (although syempre meron pa din mga tao na anti-globalization), tapos tayo maglo-localize ng words? (Did I make sense?)

Misconception ng marami na ang "American English" - pronunciation, liaisons, and intonation - ang tama. The whole language of the United States of America is made up of "localized speech" butchered from different countries (duh immigrant country sila to begin with, American Indians lang ang tunay na ""locals" dun).  Just because they're Americans (siyempre feeling nila -and unfortunately maraming tao din from all over - na sa kanila sumusunod ang mundo) doesn't mean the standard of speech should be based on theirs.  Especially now, as the US is on a downward spiral as a world power.  Brazil ang China ang hot ngayon  ;) and English is not their first language.

In the Philippines, our "Filipino English" is a mixture of British English and American.  That's a plus for us nga e.  Mix mo ang Spanish base ng language natin and you have a Filipino tongue that can adjust quite well to other languages.  Mentality na lang ang katapat.

May finoformulate sila na "World English" ngayon.  Pronunciation and intonation are more friendly to the tongues of other cultures, especially for the ones na characters ang gamit sa writing.

sushisundance

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #309 on: October 23, 2010, 12:16:49 am »
magna, as in magna cum laude should be pronounced as "mag-na". I hear others say "man-ya" na parang "la-san-ya". hahaha!

sweetie024

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #310 on: October 24, 2010, 05:49:40 am »
How about TAG HEUER?
Do you pronounce it as TAG HO-YER?

And how do you pronounce TISSOT?

nutata

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #311 on: October 24, 2010, 12:21:23 pm »
^Sis these words were posted na.  Backread na lang :)

jamie_0117

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #312 on: October 24, 2010, 02:35:27 pm »
@nutata - Precisely. Tapos, pag nasa America ka pa, iba iba pa din ang pronunciation, depending on the region. That is what makes this language thing more complicated.

nutata

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #313 on: October 24, 2010, 06:36:13 pm »
^Ay nako tama ka jan. Kahit sa kanila nakakabobo magsalita minsan, mali mali pa ng grammar!

jamie_0117

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #314 on: October 24, 2010, 07:19:36 pm »
^Both written & verbal ha. Mas magaling tayo sa kanila haha (feeling ko).

merchee

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #315 on: October 26, 2010, 10:55:53 am »
MANGO

for some it's [meyng-gow] or [mang-gow]

urs2kip

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #316 on: October 26, 2010, 01:13:37 pm »
magna, as in magna cum laude should be pronounced as "mag-na". I hear others say "man-ya" na parang "la-san-ya". LOL!

sir ervin of niner ielts review center pronounced it as "man-ya" :)

silvermica

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #317 on: October 27, 2010, 09:32:15 am »
Pasali!

Kung oorder kayo ng Banoffee Pie

it's BANoffee, not baNOffee.

also, Toffee is TOFI not toe-fi. Just like coffee. :)

mama squeak!

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #318 on: October 31, 2010, 09:36:41 am »


coccinelle - ko-chi-nel (french for butterfly)


papillon- pa-pi-yon

all french words..

sis, correct lang kita ha. "coccinelle" is for ladybug while "papillon" is butterfly

 :)

moonie

  • Guest
Re: CORRECT PRONUNCIATION
« Reply #319 on: October 31, 2010, 09:51:23 pm »
I don't know if anybody mentioned this before, but:
meringue should be pronounced as "muh-rang" not "me-reng-ge". I used to hear me-reng-ge from friends and I just won't say muh-rang because they might just laugh at me so I just kept quiet about it.

Good thing you did sis because they were just calling it by its local name not mispronouncing the word 'meringue'.  Though the confection may have originated from some french speaking country, I know meringue is really known by filipinos as 'merengue' or 'merengge', from its spanish name 'merengue' probably because the confection was introduced to us during the spanish times.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 09:56:28 pm by moonie »

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close