I liked this series, especially the earlier seasons, until I realized that Ted is probably the worst character ever created for TV. I didn't like how he was so fixated with everything, how he kept coming back to things that are supposed to be over already (Victoria and Robin in particular). It's annoying that all of the characters have matured and moved on with their lives already -- Marshall and Lily having kids and moving abroad for their career, Robin and Barney getting married -- but Ted, oh Ted. What has happened to him in the past seasons? Got a job, lost it. Got a girlfriend a few times, lost them, got back with them, only to lose them all again. I know the character's supposed to build up until he meets the mother, but really, can a guy be that hopelessly romantic to the point of being stupid?
However, I liked the mother's character (good thing she had a name on that last episode). She's fun and bubbly and just as Ted described her, a dreamy woman. It's fine with me that she died because of some disease that was never revealed, and I'd love it if the series ended there.
Besides, Robin and Ted were not meant to be together. They had opposite relationship ideals and they were never on the same page about romance, ever. Ted is a hopeless romantic, while Robin is a Barney-ish woman. Ted wants babies, Robin didn't want them, and could never have them anatomically. At some point Robin didn't even believed in marriage, while Ted was all for it. In reality, it's never healthy to be with someone who doesn't value the same ideals as you do. So I always believed they shouldn't be together. The Robin-Barney wedding is the most sensible thing in the last season.
But as hopeless romantic as we are, the writers still chose to have a Ted-Robin finale. Sure it was all cool because for one, Ted has kids already. Robin won't have to deal with having kids, or taking care of kids. Although, the kids pushing Ted to go after Robin was in my opinion quite not right. They were doing it as if the mother never existed. I actually feel sorry for the mother -- she gave Ted his kids, she had a disease, she had to die -- all of these while Ted consistently having the 'hots' for Aunt Robin.
I guess the ending was so fairytale-ish, it became all the more unrealistic. I mean, 9 years and still the same feeling? Seriously?
It's the same thing I hated with the Friends finale -- Ross and Rachel getting back together.
My point I guess is, move on move on din pag my time.