watch now

Author Topic: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2  (Read 156874 times)

lil_mango

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #560 on: March 13, 2012, 09:14:23 pm »
^although di ako taga ue nor ust, looking back, i should have went to ust instead. alam ko traditional un manner ng lectures, and upon checking yung curriculum nila, i must say na worth it yung tuition, mahal nga pero quality education talaga.  As for ue, alam ko bumalik na sila sa traditional or mixed ata.

bleudskymd

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #561 on: March 13, 2012, 09:22:54 pm »
sisses i need an advice. I just have merely 1.5 day to decide whether to reserve a slot in ust or not. Ust or ue?

Sa mga ust med grad/students
Sobrang higpit ba sa ust?
Traditional pa rin ba dito? Paano ba pag traditional?
Sobrang hirap ba makapasa?
How's your social life?
Worth it ba yung tuition?

Yes mahigpit sa UST with regards sa grades. From 500 students admitted in 1st yr, ang nakakagraduate ng April is around 60-70% (well, that's just my estimate. I maybe wrong). Aside from those who failed some subjects during the academic years, meron pang hindi nakakasabay sa graduation because of failing the oral revalida.

I think it's integrated - mixed traditional & problem-based. My case discussions but mas maraming lectures. When I was a student, our curriculum was pure PBL (problem-based learning).

Hirap makapasa sa subjects? This is a tough one. Hehe! In every exam/quiz, do your best & study hard. Kapag nakita ng faculty na mababa ang percentage ng mga pumasa, they look again at the exam questions & determine the level of difficulty - common scenario is pang-interns/residents ang mga tanong. What they do is lower the passing mark para mas maraming makapasa. The usual passing score is 75% of the total. At the end of every year, my comprehensive exam. If you pass this, you get +1 in all subjects if your score is from 76% to 84%. Kung 85% & above, +2. If you fail, as is ang grades mo sa mga subjects. Those students whose grades are "alanganin" see this compre exam as a chance to pass their subjects. Otherwise, they'll take the removal exams.

(p.s. Fellow thomasians, please correct me if I'm wrong. Hindi ko na maalala ang mga details. Hehe!)

Ayos naman social life namin. :) In the PBL curriculum, we had "wednesdays off". Aside from the usual trips sa malls para manuod ng sine, kumain, we got to play sports (badminton, basketball).

Thinking back about the tuition, yes it was worth it. :)   


I also got accepted at UE. But I chose UST. No regrets. :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:27:22 pm by bleudskymd »

FOURever

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #562 on: March 14, 2012, 04:36:55 am »
^thank you doc.. Medyo nahirapan kasi ako sa pre-med ko sa ust pero wala namang bagsak, sa awa ng Diyos.. I don't know kung kakayanin ko yung mahahabang lectures. Long lectures mean long coverage ng exams.. I don't know if nanghihinayang lang ako sa slot sa ust pero ang alam ko dream school ko pa rin to. I'll wait for a response from ue side here.. And magtatanong na rin ako sa mga kakilala ng kakilala ko. Salamat doc, medyo nabuhayan naman ako.. Uhm, may i ask kung ano po pre-med mo at sa ust din ba? Nahirapan din po ba kayo sa pre-med nyo? Baka kasi di ko kayanin pressure sa ust..

One more thing na dahilan ng pinag iisipan ko, may mga scholarship sa ue na open sa mga students, though may resources naman ako, syempre as much as possible i want to minimize the expenses sa pagmemed ko..
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:39:08 am by FOURever »

nicaa

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #563 on: March 14, 2012, 10:36:29 pm »
^ sis ok lang yan. got a batchmate na average student lang during our pre-med and nagaabsent pa pero nung med magna cum laude sya. kaya mo yan, mahirap lang and expect sleepless nights pero worth it naman. :) sa pag decide ng school, weigh mo na lang pros & cons. i think sa UST ngayon almost 120k na yata tuition per sem.

yung ibang exams sa ust minsan inuulit lang from previous batches. yung iba naman from usmle. encountered some questions pa nga na from american board of surgery exams.

FOURever

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #564 on: March 15, 2012, 06:18:47 am »
^thanks sis.. I'm going to ust today. Seems like i'll be reserving my slot. Either school, i think win/win situation na.. Bahala na siguro ako paano ko dadalhin sarili ko sa med no :) wish me luck!

bleudskymd

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #565 on: March 15, 2012, 03:31:25 pm »
^ my pre-med was PT at DLSU Dasma. Yes our pre-med was hard plus not to forget mahaba. I applied at DLSU, UST and UE. I was doubtful if I was going to be accepted at UST kasi I had my pre-med somewhere else. However, above average naman ang grades ko during college days. I was accepted at La Salle, have already paid my reservation fee before I learned I was admitted at UST FMS.

FOURever

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #566 on: March 15, 2012, 05:07:24 pm »
^thanks doc, nakapagpareserve na ako sa ust =) mahaba haba pa tatahakin ko. Haha!

bleudskymd

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #567 on: March 16, 2012, 07:43:47 pm »
^ Goodluck to you! And enjoy! :)

c1and3stine

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #568 on: April 02, 2012, 02:59:27 am »
HELLO! graduate ako ng BS NURSING 4 years ago..same year i became an RN and USRN afterwards. give up ko yung opportunity maging nurse sa ibang bansa to live my dream of becoming a doctor sa pinas. I recently took the NMAT at ang baba ng grade ko =(

percentile 21... i did not study... i did not have enough preparation... biglaan ang pag register ko sa NMAT after ko mag resign sa previous job ko... pero di ba kahit hindi nag aral dapat hindi ganyan kababa grade ng NMAT kung aspiring to become a doctor? Di ba dapat matalino ka para mag med? Pag ganyan ba percentile, doomed na sa med school?

Should I continue entering med school kahit ang baba ng NMAT score ko? Is the willingness and passion enough or mag 2nd thought na ko now the NMAT scores have spoken... =(

nicaa

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #569 on: April 02, 2012, 03:43:55 am »
^ Your NMAT score doesn't determine if you'll become a good doctor, requirement lang talaga sya and nakalagay sya sa factors ng pagdetermine if the school's going to accept you or not. Super important kasi ng NMAT in some schools. Di ka doomed, don't lose hope. :) Mag re-take ka na lang sis, pero this time make sure na you're prepared. Meron namang mga review centers if you really want more focus.

blackroseMD

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #570 on: April 02, 2012, 12:03:50 pm »
^^ Agree with sis nicaa... Ibig sabihin ng Percentile eh yung ranking mo sa mga nagtake... Di yun yung score mo mismo, malay mo ba kung sobrang tatalino lang kasi nung mga nakasabay mo.. At ang mga subject sa NMAT hindi ang subject sa medschool.. Ibang iba talaga... Don't lose hope.. Lalo na at pangarap mo talaga maging doktor... Fight! kaya mo yan :)

c1and3stine

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #571 on: April 02, 2012, 04:51:50 pm »
awww.. thanks nicaa and blackroseMD... it really means a lot... reminder nadin saken to na to study by all accounts... it has been 3 years since naranasan ko mag review... naalala ko yung importance ng pagrereview beforehand saka yung naidudulot ng cramming hehe... thanks a lot! God bless your humble hearts =)

yang

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #572 on: April 22, 2012, 11:32:21 am »
anyone into internship?

au_chic

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #573 on: April 22, 2012, 12:33:23 pm »
^I'm currently in doing my internship, and will officially end in about, oh, 8 days =(

Ayoko pa sya matapos. It's too much fun. Especially in PGH, you get to do solo surgeries on your own and still learn lots and lots of theoreticals. Well, swertehan rin sa blockmates  :-\

To incoming interns, enjoy this year. It's the best year in training. ^_^

Sabi nga ng mga residents ko, "Pwede bang ako na lang ang intern, kaw na maging resident? Sana intern na lang ako forever."  :P

I'm currently dreading the review. Most of us enrolled in Topnotch Review in Fairview. Nawala na kasi motivation ko to study on my own, after 5 years of all night studying and exams. Kelangan ko ng guidance  ;D

yang

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #574 on: April 22, 2012, 12:45:28 pm »
usapang intership. sa silliman sana ko. san ba? considering lahat naman may kanya kanyang level ng ka toxican.

jejuneness

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #575 on: April 22, 2012, 11:07:39 pm »
^I'm currently in doing my internship, and will officially end in about, oh, 8 days =(

Ayoko pa sya matapos. It's too much fun. Especially in PGH, you get to do solo surgeries on your own and still learn lots and lots of theoreticals.

Hi! I saw your profile and wow your a cancer survivor and I think you fought the battle while keeping your dream as an MD. Siguro kung ako nasa position mo I would have gave up easily. I just want to say your an inspiration. I was reading past posts at may nabasa ako na yung desire na maging doctor is a God's gift, hindi ilalagay yan kung walang dahilan. I have this undeniable desire to become a doctor pero duwag naman because I feel that everything is against all odds.

I tried forgetting about my dream of becoming a doctor kasi impractical... tried a few jobs that I think are interesting, a lot of fun and most importantly MONEY! I get to experience an attractive salary but still not happy kasi I keep picturing myself with this white coat, doing rounds, diagnosis and helping patients. Walang fulfillment kung hindi mo bubusugin yung heart and soul's desire. Sa lahat ng makakabasa nito I would just like to give one advice: go for what your heart desires, what your soul is shouting kasi at the end of the day, kung hindi ka happy sa ginagawa mo kahit gaano pa kalaki sweldo mo,hindi ka talaga magiging masaya, dun mo makikita balewala ang pera.

To au_chic, you have become an inspiration to me to never give up kahit mahirap :)

bleudskymd

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #576 on: April 25, 2012, 11:29:38 pm »
I'm currently dreading the review. Most of us enrolled in Topnotch Review in Fairview. Nawala na kasi motivation ko to study on my own, after 5 years of all night studying and exams. Kelangan ko ng guidance  ;D

Hey congrats for finishing/completing Internship! :)

Personally, I saw those review schools just a waste of money. Kung ano man ang ituturo nila, I can do it on my own, on my own pacing, on my own schedule. I asked my superiors ng mga recommended nila na review books per subject. I remember my batchmates who enrolled in UST's review, hand-outs lang ang hinabol tapos kanya-kanyang aral na sa library. Hindi na sila nakinig sa mga lectures, o kaya naman natutulog lang sila sa auditorium. Although I admit I enrolled to a review session given by UP-PGH before - mock boards type ffed by reasoning of answers. I saw my strengths and weaknesses per subject and we kept the questionnaires. The duration of the review was just 1 wk. Sulit yung binayad ko. The rest, self review na lang.

Of course, don't forget Divine Intervention - trips to Manaoag, St. Jude, Quiapo church, Sta Clara, Pink Sisters Tagaytay, etc. :)

Pray hard before the exams... Pray harder during the exams... Pray hardEST after the exams (the agony of waiting for the results)

You won't have any idea kung ano ang mga itatanong sa boards. Kapag andun ka na, pakiramdam mo wala kang inaral.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:35:29 pm by bleudskymd »

Antigone

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #577 on: April 26, 2012, 07:10:45 am »
^I agree with you. Ako din, I never enrolled in review schools. Kahit anong exam pa. I learn best when I'm on my own kasi. But there are people who benefit from the structure. Yun nga lang, gaya ng sinabi mo, yung mga friends ko mostly inaabsentan lang nila yang mga classes na yan kinukuha lang nila ang handouts.

au_chic

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #578 on: May 02, 2012, 12:24:22 am »
Internship is officially over. ^_^ It was an awesome year. Drinks were freely flowing last night during the Sunug/Puri party. So it was even more awesome. Haha.

The people who were as*holes/b*tches to the interns were burned. Their effigies, at least =p

@jejuneness: Thanks sis ^_^ Good luck =)

@bleudskymd: Thanks, doc =) I'm not too confident about my study habits this past few years. The 2011 batch said better pay for guidance that magsisi in the end =p and sobrang high yield raw talaga ng Topnotch, most of the exam questions were in their lectures. And you're gonna earn the tuition naman in 3 days or so of moonlighting =p

600 people, approximately 30 to 40% of those who'll take the boards are now enrolled there. It's a disadvantage to the ones who aren't coz 600 people knowing the same stuff wouldn't bode well for the curve, right? @_@

Antigone

  • Guest
Re: GT Doctos or Medical Students thread 2
« Reply #579 on: May 02, 2012, 08:25:07 am »
 sis au_chic, is this the review center in Fairview? yung sa UP grad? the one that had the guide to boards manual? :)

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close