^Very good naman si dad. At least nag papa alam pa

Alam mo sis, sabi ng dietician ko, mas in fact safer pa ang pork sa beef. The fat can be easily removed, whereas sa beef, nasa marbling yung fats. Lean pork is just as tasteless as chicken breast without skin anyway! Haha.
^^Sis, I was at my veranda when I created my username years ago - hence, viewfromyveranda

You can still make the usually dishes using healthier meat cuts and diabetic friendly condiments. The key is being comfortable reading nutripanels.
Ito, some alternatives:
Pancakes - use wholewheat pancakes instead. May local na ngayon, Maya brand.
Sugar - use coco sugar, muscovado, agave, stevia, etc.
Chocolates - Rustan's has loads! Some good ones I tried are Guylian and Valor
Ice Cream - Arce, Magnolia, FIC have sugar free variants
Dessert - sugar free Jello does the job!
Cookies - I have a kick ass recipe for no sugar, no flour cookies.

Bread - walter has sugar free whole wheat bread, pan de manila sa no sugar added whole wheat too
BUT, not because sugar free, pwede ng unlimited portions. He still has to follow the carb exchanges as indicated in his diet plan.
I guess what I'm saying is, do not make him feel deprived. Nakaka lungkot yun noh! Hahaha.