watch now

Author Topic: Dual citizenship - ok ba?  (Read 50488 times)

twelve5

  • Guest
Re: Dual citizenship - ok ba?
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2010, 03:02:33 pm »
the FAQ section here may shed light to some concerns raised in this thread.

stayfree

  • Guest
Re: Dual citizenship - ok ba?
« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2010, 06:54:22 pm »
However, I disagree that it is a grey area. The RA is very clear that you have to take the oath in order to retain/reacquire your Phil. citizenship. And in order to be scheduled for the oath, one has to complete the form and pay the fee. I don't see any grey areas there.

Yes, of course you are correct and I apologize for being a scatterbrain with my thought process.

When I said grey area, I was actually referring to the debates about dual allegiance vs. dual citizenship which accompanied the passing the RA 9225.  As you know, our constitution says that "dual allegiance is inimical to national interest".  And since RA 9225 asks you to take a watered-down version of an oath of allegiance to the Philippines, applicants in effect, have dual allegiance -- e.g. one  to the US and one to the Philippines.    That's why I said until there is a big case to test this situation, and Supreme Court rules with finality, everything is sort of "grey" and things could either turn left or right at a later time. 

Anyway, what you plan to do is, I also believe, the best way to go about the dual citizenship route.  Good luck.

mooncake and leaves

  • Guest
Re: Dual citizenship - ok ba?
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2010, 07:58:08 am »
Ang intindi ko din once you become a naturalized US citizen, you automatically waive your Filipino citizenship so there is a need to apply for dual citizenship-one that only The Philippines will recognize but the US won't. So medyo lito pa ako diyan.

Question, I backread, di siya nasagot exactly: how long does it take, the entire process of acquiring dual citizenship? Tia :)

twelve5

  • Guest
Re: Dual citizenship - ok ba?
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2010, 08:38:06 am »
^ i think the US does recognize DC. they may not really encourage it, but they do acknowledge its existence.

the entire process of reaquiring your filipino citizenship only takes half a day, granting you already have all the necessary docs, photos and forms in hand, and if you arrive in the phil embassy when they open in the morning.

so you submit your form and application... the consulate will evaluate them... you pay for the fees... affix your thumbmarks and sig on the certificates... take your oath (together with other applicants),  then you're good to go. DC ka na. hehe

the embassy in LA has 2 batches of oath-taking daily (the last time i checked ha). may cut-off times sila. if you arrive early in the morning, your oath is at about 12nn (before they take lunch) and the second is about 4pm ata.

if you decide to get a phil passport, you wont get it on the same day. eto yun medyo less than a week ata.

check the website of your nearest phil embassy. skeds kasi may vary.

mooncake and leaves

  • Guest
Re: Dual citizenship - ok ba?
« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2010, 08:51:20 am »
^ ah the law changed na ba? last time we discussed it kasi, the US doesn't recognize it meaning for them, you are only a US citizen but for the Philippines, you are both a US and Philippine citizen. Anyway, I agree na with the one who said na magulo nga talaga because of the dual allegiance bit.

Anyway, thanks thanks. Ito puproblemahin ko soon eh hehe. Gusto ko lang din talaga siya actually para sa biyahe lol babaw :P

morbiedoll

  • Guest
Re: Dual citizenship - ok ba?
« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2010, 09:38:47 am »
so pag nagdual citizen ka (pinas & u.s) void ba yung benefits na matatangap mo na benefits dapat (like medicare,disability etc. when you grow old)?

twelve5

  • Guest
Re: Dual citizenship - ok ba?
« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2010, 11:15:34 am »
mooncake, its just my personal opinion... kasi when you take a look at the information pages of your US passport, item 14 is about DC... im thinking, if the US doesnt really recognize it, then it wouldnt be printed there. kung baga, silent sila. again, its just my opinion ha.

DC is a big convenience talaga if you shuttle between the US and Phils quite often and stay beyond the allowed 21 days (?) without visa.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:05:50 pm by twelve5 »

twelve5

  • Guest
Re: Dual citizenship - ok ba?
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2013, 12:41:18 pm »
Sorry for digging up this old thread. Hehe... Any new dual citizens here?  :)

I think applying for DC is one of the best decisions I made in my life. Hehe... . It  made my travels between the US and Philippines really easy... And I never had issues with US immigrations.

morbiedoll, did you find out the answer to your question? I think DC should not affect those benefits.

morbiedoll

  • Guest
Re: Dual citizenship - ok ba?
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2013, 02:13:35 am »
^ yea I did. I also found out that I have to pay taxes in both countries so I din't pursue DC na. I'm already being taxed enough in Cali. lol

Vera

  • Guest
Re: Dual citizenship - ok ba?
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2013, 09:56:06 am »
I recently became a US citizen (April 2013) and I had to give up my PH citizenship.

I have not decided yet whether to reacquire my PH citizenship or not, mainly due to double taxation issues. I am quite happy with the way the US government taxes me for my worldwide income. I'm currently talking to a lawyer regarding this issue and see if DC benefits me in the long run. Anyway, I still get 1-year stay in PH every time I visit as a balikbayan.

twisted_pop

  • Guest
Re: Dual citizenship - ok ba?
« Reply #130 on: September 08, 2013, 04:54:48 am »
it's been a good 2 years since i was last on girltalk....it's good to be back

my naturalization oath ceremony is at the end of the month...from being an H-4 to acquiring my work authorization, then getting my greencard, i am finally at the end -of my US journey-

my husband is considering dual citizenship
i hope to find this thread helpful  :)

NC

  • Guest
Re: Dual citizenship - ok ba?
« Reply #131 on: November 02, 2014, 08:10:05 am »
Is  there a difference between a  Filipino american who was naturalized as a US citizen but maintained his Phil. passport valid all the time  and a  Filipino  american who was naturalized and got his Phil. passport back by the dual citizenship route? I guess, there is no difference just looking at the two Phil.passports side by side. I do not see the point of going thru the process of reclaiming your Phil. citizenship when just renewing your old  Phil. passport as needed has the same result.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:53:00 am by NC »

twelvth_goddess

  • Guest
Re: Dual citizenship - ok ba?
« Reply #132 on: November 02, 2014, 08:17:46 am »
Why are you being double taxed? I'm a US citizen born in the Philippines. I have both US and Philippine passports. I work here in Manila for JP Morgan and my first concern prior to working in this company is being taxed twice too. However, I found out that there's a tax treaty between the US and the Philippines which prevents the dual citizen employee from being taxed twice. However, I have to pay for Medicare and Social Security the same way that I also pay for SSS, philhealth, and pagibig.

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close