watch now

Author Topic: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.  (Read 359052 times)

missoni

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #600 on: February 19, 2016, 10:50:32 pm »
Right now, those 2 universities are the only ones with graduates of BS SP (or for UST, i think it is BS SLP). Cebu Doctors and La Salle- Dasma has undergraduate programs as well. Just a background info regarding the undergraduate program:
The Speech Pathology  program focuses not just on the treatment part, but also on the assessment and diagnosis of a lot of speech and language disorders including disorders in feeding and  swallowing, language (acquisition, rehabilitation and habilitation), audiology, oro-motor difficulties of both pediatric and geriatric population. hindi lang sya basta training to do therapy. Both  undergraduate amd masters program have courses (or "subjects") that are approved by CHED and  for undergrads, an intensive  10 months internship (1 whole school year) where the student-clinician works in various settings (hospital, pediatric clinic, private clinical settings, etc) to practice EVIDENCE BASED therapeutic management and to DIAGNOSE specific speech and language disorders, based on sound clinical judgement. During the internship year, the student clinicians are guided by their SP supervisors that were also graduates BS SP/SLP. I think that's the difference between BS SP/SLP and MA in SPED major in SP (or kung ano na yung tawag nila sa course nila).

SP is an allied medical profession, just like your OTs and PTs and nurses etc. and to be called a Speech Pathogist/Therapist, kailangan ng BS SP/SLP degree.

Sadly, I do not have a copy of the Ched memorandum but I think you can call CHED about it. And I know that there are dev peds that really does background check on the SPs in question, minsan asking the parent to call UP- CAMP or UST just to make sure na talagang graduate ng BS SP yung therapist.



for organizations, we have Collegiate Association of Speech Pathologist and for professionals, we have Philippine Association of Speech Pathologist (PASP).
you can check out pasp.org.ph for more information. 👍



« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 11:39:34 pm by missoni »

blackrainbow

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #601 on: March 09, 2016, 04:37:29 pm »
Mommies suggestions naman po for other therapy centers located in makati(aside from ABLE and HELP), paranaque or pasig.
Yung mga binigay kasi samin ng devped ay puro puno na and yung located naman dito sa taguig are very expensive naman kasi sa BGC.

dulcette

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #602 on: March 15, 2016, 02:15:11 am »
I could attest to what @missoni said. Ex-SP kasi ako, stopped practicing this year. And I know naglipana ang mga pseudo-SPs sa Pinas. Only three schools have produced SPs. UP Manila, UST, and Cebu Doctors. De La Salle meron na din program, I don't know kung may graduates na. May I know kung sino yang 'SP' niyo na not from any of these schools? Kasi I know of one dito sa QC na nag-open ng clinic sa Katipunan. Madami na din nahatak na clients kasi 'trained abroad' and bago. They are using the names of me and my colleagues without permission. Affilates daw, but hindi naman. First hand experience ko ito.

But I know the development pediatricians would not refer their patients to anyone who isn't from the three schools stated above kahit na trained abroad pa yan. Training is just training. Alam ng doctors yan dapat. If your doctor referred you to one na hindi naman totoong SP, you can bet may cut yan sa business na yan.

and your statement na:

Quote
3. You also mentioned that "...UPM-CAMP offers masters in Rehab Sciences- speech pathology (MRS-SP) but not masters in educ major in  speech-language pathology..."

I think what Missoni is saying is that the only masters degree that UP offers is RS. Walang Educ masters in SLP from any of the accredited schools. If anyone claims na Education master in SLP sila, that's a red flag. Basis for being worried if your child is under a fake SP? Malpractice? Incompetence? Ah, ang dami. A four-five year intensive education? Internship and mentoring? I can go on and on.. You may think, eh ano naman if not from UP/UST teacher ng anak ko? But that's how it is, would you let your child be under a surgeon who isn't even covered by their organization, or let alone, have enough knowledge of what they are doing?

Relevant links:
Quote
http://pasp.org.ph/ -- hindi updated yung member database, ni wala ako dito kahit member pa naman ako lol

https://www.facebook.com/pasp.org.ph

warnings from therapy centers: https://www.facebook.com/pasp.org.ph/posts/941780109230543

Can't find the memorandum too, but I remember it noted all the other schools na may Master's Degree in Speech Pathology na hindi naman CHED accredited, thus, fake SPs. There were several, MA in Psychology major in SP, MA in Education major in SP, na kung saan saang school lang. It's like saying MA in Psychology major in Nursing. SP is not under Educ. It's a rehabilatation science. Ang layo ng konek.

lmonterroyo

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #603 on: March 21, 2016, 05:01:26 am »
Thank you for the information, @missoni and @dulcette. Malaking tulong to para sa amin. Salamat  ;D

blackrainbow

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #604 on: March 21, 2016, 03:01:12 pm »
Input lang ako ng mga rates sa mga centers na na contact ko. This will be useful dun sa mga naghahanap pa lang ng centers :)

Kids in motion-Taguig
I.E-3500
per session: 1000

Able center-Makati
I.E-2500
per session: 625

Brightminds-Taguig
I.E-2500
per session: 1000

Center for Learning and Intervention-Pasig
I.E-2000
OT- 4200/6 sessions
ST- 4500/6 sessions

Communicare-Paranaque
I.E-3000
per session: 800

Goals-Taguig
I.E-2240
17000/15 sessions

Help-Makati
I.E-2000
per session: 750


Currently nasa help kami. mag start na anak ko after ng holy week. May discount sila if you pay in advance :)



 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close