watch now

Author Topic: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.  (Read 359114 times)

cldy_1981

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #480 on: June 18, 2014, 04:50:45 pm »
Hi Mommies,

My son was assessed by our Dev Pedia - Dra. Reloza as having Speech Delay. He is currently 2 yrs and 3 months but based on her initial assessment he has the speech level of a 1.2 y/o toddler. Truth be told I still find myself telling myself, oh its not that he's delayed, he's just stubborn & doesn't want to speak. But at the same time I don't want to be the type of mom who makes excuses for her kid and coddles him because I know it will do absolutely nothing for him in the future. We were recommended to do OT and Speech Therapy. She did not mention any other defects or delays so I'm wondering why the need for OT and not just speech therapy. I asked her and she said it was to help my son focus and be more receptive towards the excercises with the speech therapist. But what actually happens during OT? I called Therabilities earlier this morning and I was told that the wait list for Speech Therapy is so long that they could no longer accommodate me...:(

rhumbafrapp

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #481 on: June 18, 2014, 07:29:04 pm »
mrssindoe: i am an OT, i know a colleague that is a Bobath certified OT. if you are looking for a center, HONG's is place to go.

rhumbafrapp

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #482 on: June 18, 2014, 07:35:26 pm »
clydy_1981: hi sis. usually, (not all the time though) kids are referred to OT to work on their their play skills and behaviors, for example focusing, attending, complying, etc. ofcourse it depends on the assessment padin..these are all important kasi behavior is the basis for learning e :) you can PM me if you have more questions. where is your area pala baka i can recommend a different center, the earlier the intervention the better :)

cherrhys

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #483 on: June 26, 2014, 05:03:46 pm »
A little bit off topic but still therapy related...any one here with kids undergoing ABA therapy?  What are your views/opinions on this?

jnmartins

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #484 on: June 26, 2014, 07:40:00 pm »
Hi @mrssindoe,

My speech path is trained for both cerebral palsy and hearing impairment. I asked him and he told me you could go to CLASP Center (www.clasp.com.ph).

Hello Everyone -

I am a mother of a 2 year old boy with cerebral palsy of spastic quadriplegic type. I am an expat. I am a newbie here in MNL and here in the site. I came across this forum while looking for speech pathologists who could help me with my child. I need someone to help me feed him and make him express his needs. I prefer someone with a background in Bobath/NDT. By the way, he also has severe hearing loss bilaterally. Thank you.

missoni

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #485 on: July 02, 2014, 08:02:16 pm »
Word of advice pala mommies, please ask your speech paths where they graduate. Legit speech pathologists are from UP MANILA-CAMP AND UST (2014). CHED has already issued a memorandum addressing legitimacy of masters degree (specifically MA Ed. SLP) from other schools. You can ask your SP naman for their name and year they graduated and double check with UP and UST. 😀 If your therapist is not from the 2 schools think twice na. UPM-CAMP offers masters in Rehab Sciences- speech pathology (MRS-SP) but not masters in educ major in  speech-language pathology.

gegeuy

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #486 on: July 03, 2014, 08:21:36 am »
Hello! Please help me choose a therapy center for my son. He's been undergoing ABA for the past 3 months but we are now advised to enroll him in speech therapy as well. Our first choice is SHINE but full na raw yata sila, they'll contact me nalang daw. Eh gusto ko na siya ienroll agad sana.

Our choices are:
1) MedMom
2) Kids Haven

Please help! Thanks!

gegeuy

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #487 on: July 03, 2014, 09:10:10 am »
A little bit off topic but still therapy related...any one here with kids undergoing ABA therapy?  What are your views/opinions on this?

My son is undergoing ABA therapy for 3 months now. For the first 2 months, he would go 5x a week 3 hrs per session. Now he's doing 3x a week 3 hrs per session. And sobrang laking improvement! From no words, no eye contact, nakakaintindi na siya ngayon! Almost 50 words narin siguro nasasabi niya and great eye contact! Hindi na kami naffrustrate pareho kapag hindi namin maintindihan yung isat isa. He can now express what he wants (or at least point to it pag d niya pa kaya sabihin). Dati kasi wala talga akong idea kung anong gusto niya tapos nagttantrums nalang siya.

cherrhys

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #488 on: July 03, 2014, 04:51:19 pm »
^Thank you for the reply.  Is your son still undergoing OT kasabay ng ABA therapy?

gegeuy

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #489 on: July 03, 2014, 05:10:43 pm »
Hi sis cherrhys! No, just ABA as of now :)

cherrhys

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #490 on: July 03, 2014, 09:01:28 pm »
Thanks again for the reply!  :)  We just started ABA for my son and I was unsure if I should stop his OT or not. 

Mommyfied

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #491 on: July 07, 2014, 02:22:51 pm »
Hello Fellow Mommies,
I have just joined today as I find this site really this site really helpful. Is anyone here familiar or knows Building Blocks in Alabang?

purple_girl

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #492 on: July 07, 2014, 03:01:59 pm »
^my daughter used to go there sis. okay naman. malaki ang naging improvement niya.

Mommyfied

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #493 on: July 07, 2014, 03:34:07 pm »
Sis purple_girl:
^my daughter used to go there sis. okay naman. malaki ang naging improvement niya.
when  you say your daughter used to go there, does that mean she's now attending formal school or you transfered her to a new therapy center? How is she now...

purple_girl

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #494 on: July 07, 2014, 06:58:55 pm »
^she's done with her OT with building blocks. as per her dev ped, my daughter is now able to catch up with her peers so she can stop with her 2x per week OT. she did suggest that we continue with 1x per week OT since there are signs that my daughter might be dyslexic. for this, i opted to transfer her to communicare since it's much nearer to our house and her school.

Mommyfied

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #495 on: July 07, 2014, 07:19:19 pm »
purple_girl: thanks so much for this. I hope i can get more feedbacks regarding Building Blocks. We are currently based in Dubai and I honestly dont have anyone to rely on when it comes to the best therapy centers in Manila. All I know is that they have a resident speech pathologist which is an added point. :-)

oyie

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #496 on: July 07, 2014, 07:29:18 pm »
Learning Train Center near Eastwood Libis
with Teacher Nadine,

My daughter goes there since it opened last year and so far so good.
even Dr. Dimalanta find their report very extensive

PM me for their contact details

Sheilazsy

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #497 on: July 07, 2014, 09:59:27 pm »
Hi Mommies!

I need help please. Dev. Ped. recommended PT and OT for my 21month old daughter.  I'm looking for centers na ok. We're staying in Manila, near La Salle Taft Avenue. Dra. Moral recommended several centers but I don't which one is good. I hope you can help me on this. Thanks.

anagucci

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #498 on: July 10, 2014, 06:38:47 am »
@purple_girl Hi sis. Who was your daughter's OT? I just had my son assessed last Friday at Building Blocks by Teacher Choco. How long did it take for you to notice the improvements? Thanks sis!

blackcloud

  • Guest
Re: ALL ABOUT THERAPY CENTERS- Occupational/Speech/Physical etc.
« Reply #499 on: July 11, 2014, 10:19:02 am »
Hello Fellow Mommies,
I have just joined today as I find this site really this site really helpful. Is anyone here familiar or knows Building Blocks in Alabang?

My 2 year old currently goes to Building Blocks for ABA and OT.    May mga improvements naman yung kid ko especially in terms of work behavior. Dati palagi paikot-ikot at hindi maka stay still. Ngayon, sabi sa akin super behaved daw sa toddler school.  She is also starting to speak more.

Pros: Most of the teachers in Building Blocks seem to genuinely like and bond with the kids. Considering na mas higher ang ratio napansin ko ang male teachers/therapists nila. My kid also loves going there now.
- Easier to set up an appointment than others.  Goals and Communicare may waiting list pa just to get your kid assessed. Tapos waiting list pa ulit sa OT schedule. Tapos another waiting list pa sa Speech therapy schedule.
-Convenient location.  Maski nakacar or public transporation.

Cons: The center is very small compared to Goals and Communicare.  They also have no waiting area and their cubicles are very small.  Communicare kasi may mga rooms talaga.   
-  Another pet peeve of mine.  They are laidback in terms of cleanliness.  The teachers bring their shoes inside.  But they request the kids to remove their shoes???  Kaya kami hindi sumusunod.  Parang madungis din yung rubber mats nila tuloy. 



 

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close