Author Topic: A Life To Live, A Life To Give (Book Two)  (Read 52476 times)

jezamae

• Junior GirlTalker
A Life To Live, A Life To Give (Book Two)
« on: December 27, 2008, 10:18:35 pm »
Hi mga sis.  This continues Kap and Mikaela's story. This is Book 2.

Preface

“Mikaela? Please.”

I glanced at the voice. My brother. “Gabe? What is he saying? Tell him he is mistaken. It can’t be.”

“Doc? Doc?” I pleaded and grabbed the arm of the man in a white doctor’s gown.

“I’m sorry.” His resigned voice was like a knife in my chest.

I looked around and saw Mom. Tears were streaming down on her cheeks and she was holding my hand. I barely felt her hold. I felt numb. “Mom?” She replied by holding me tighter. I moved my gaze to my brother. “Tres? Gabriel. Tres?”

“Mickey,” he began softly, “calm down. It’s not good for you.”

He called me Mickey; my childhood name. Mama Mary. Is it true? What the doctor said, is it true? No! It can’t be. No! I shook my head. “No!” I screamed and started to get up.

Surprised, Gabriel held me tight. “Doc?” Gabe sounded anxious.  I felt the pain. Physical pain. Something inside me was painful. I winced.

The doctor gave my brother a tiny nod and I felt the sting of a needle on my arm. It made me feel weak.

And then I saw him. Tres. A few feet away from the door, walking in. I frowned. He was wearing a plain white shirt. Why wasn’t he in his military uniform? I looked at my brother and whispered, “Gabe, Tres.”

Gabriel turned to the doctor. “I think that she is hallucinating.”

The doctor looked at me kindly. “I’m sorry. We did everything. But…”

I didn’t hear the rest as blackness started to engulf me. But before I lost total consciousness, I glanced behind my brother. Tres. He was walking, closer now. I was sure that I was not hallucinating. Then everything went black.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:40:05 pm by jezamae »
Sharing our stories can also be a means of healing. Grief and loss may isolate us, and anger may alienate us. Shared with others, these emotions can be powerfully uniting, as we see that we are not alone, and realize that others weep with us.

jezamae

• Junior GirlTalker
Re: A Life To Live, A Life To Give (Book Two)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 10:30:59 pm »
One: A Ring of Promise

“Mikaela?” he asked.

I stared at him. Everything stopped. Even my breathing. Only one thing existed. His voice. His question. Will you marry me? I blinked and looked at him. My gaze caught the still figure of two women on his far right side. They openly stared at us, not moving. And they looked like they were waiting for my reply too. And I wondered why.

“Mikaela?” he repeated. He both sounded and looked anxious. No, nervous. He looked nervous. Kap? Nervous? Impossible. But he was. Right now.

“When?” I blurted out. My response surprised him. Well, it surprised me too.

He grinned. “I didn’t expect that. We can plan on that. After you say yes, of course.”

I took a deep breath and stared at him straight in the eye and smiled. “Yes, I will.”

He quickly opened a small silver box he was holding and took out something. A ring. An engagement ring?

He held my hand and slipped the ring, very slowly, on my finger as his intense brown eyes smoldered watching my reaction.

The sudden act astounded me. I was breathless again and my mouth shaped in a big O but I was speechless. I gazed at the ring. It fitted my finger perfectly. The single stone glittered with the reflection of the muted light of the chapel. I stared back at him as I felt warm tears started to form in my eyes.

“Don’t cry”, he whispered gently.

I heard low murmurs aside from his whispers. The two women on his right side.

He pulled me. “Don’t cry, please.”

“I can cry, can’t I? You are marrying me,” I said as a few tears started to fall.

He pulled me closer and I felt his throat moved. Was he about to cry too? But men don’t cry. And most especially Kap.

He cleared his throat and gently pulled me away from him. I raised my head and saw him glanced at the two women. “I think that we should leave.”

I followed his gaze and met the small smiles from the two women. I saw one of them sighed. I smiled back.

Kap rose and pulled me up. We walked together and he held my hand where the ring was. I felt his hand caressed the ring.

I glanced at him as we walked. I turned to him and studied his face. The face of Captain Alfonso Torres III. Kap to our classmates. Tres to his friends. The man I love. The only man I wanted to be with. Four months ago, I didn’t know him. And then I met him at the foot of the stairs of our school. That time, I didn’t think that he would be part of my life. How could I? I was with someone else. Another man that I thought I loved. And Kap had someone else too. But Aphrodite, the goddess of love, had her own unique way of finding two halves to create one beautiful whole. Kap and me. Four months ago I didn’t know him. And now I was going to marry him. I still couldn’t believe it. He turned to me and smiled. I smiled back with all the love that I felt.  Yes. I am marrying you. We will be together. Forever. He raised his brow and grinned.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:45:09 pm by jezamae »
Sharing our stories can also be a means of healing. Grief and loss may isolate us, and anger may alienate us. Shared with others, these emotions can be powerfully uniting, as we see that we are not alone, and realize that others weep with us.

jezamae

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 10:38:24 pm »
hi mga sis

this is the continuation of kap and mikaela's story

to the new readers, please try to read book 1 (a heart to give, a heart to keep) kasi karugtong po ito

it's a true story

happy new year mga sis

:)

LeeQuid

• DataAnalyst HopelessRomantic and a
  • GirlTalker
  • |HerHighness.o8|
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 12:46:04 am »
simple yet captivating.. ganda nito sis..  ;)
.o8 || it's ALWAYS been YOU.. whom i'm DYING to SPEND my LIFE WITH.. ||o8.

fairy777

• Blushing bride to be
  • GirlTalker
    • our wedding website
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 12:17:48 pm »
weeeeeeeeeeee.... may continuation na!!! thank you so much sis!!! ^_^
"People are like stained glass windows; they sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light within."

http://www.mywedding.com/maykelphenie/

simpleme

• Probationary
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 02:18:09 pm »
wow sis may book 2 na agad, thanks!!.... Looking forward to read the next updates!! keep it up!  ;D

bhabycj825

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 02:22:38 pm »
sis paki post na yung karugtong. I can't wait  :P. since nakita ko yung story mo kagabi binasa ko na sya hanggang sa book 2. kaka excite.. ;D

wynema

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 06:50:01 pm »
sis jezamae, mukhang malungkot ang book 2 from the title and preface :( :( :( waaaa, ngayon pa lang nalulungkot na ata ako :( pero babasahin ko pa rin to know kap and mikaela's story.
I can only satisfy one person a day. Today's not your day. Tomorrow's not looking good either.

ssshazzle

• Live high, live mighty, live righteously!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 08:35:36 am »
^ i agree sis, medyo worried and thrilled nga ako sa mga next chapters. hmmm, masyado na ata akong affected ng story nila.  :-X

Allie

• GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 11:36:24 pm »
wow! meron nang book 2!!  ;D

jezamae

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 06:41:14 pm »

I was  happy. Almost euphoric, I admit. From the moment I stepped out of the chapel to having dinner in a restaurant overlooking Taal Lake and to the drive home, all the nerves in my body were tingling with joy. I inhaled the sweet breeze of Tagaytay. I have never thought Tagaytay to be this lovely. I loved Tagaytay then. I loved it more now. I glanced at him and met his amused look.

Kap was studying me with raised brow. I smiled. He responded by winking at me and my heart melted. He turned his attention to the road ahead and continued driving.

I continued my loving gaze to the only man who made my heart do things other than simply beat to pump blood in my body. Kap made my heart melt, skipped, stopped and somersault. And I saw my life, our life I corrected, in the coming months and years.

I was getting married. With him. We would live together. His face would be the first that I would see every morning when I open my eyes and the last to see before I close my eyes at night. We would do groceries together and do laundry together. But we should get a maid of course. I would learn to cook for him. Mom would be delighted on the idea of teaching me to cook. We would have children. I hoped they inherit Kap’s height, eyes and nose. I would name our son Alfonso the fourth and our daughter would be named Alyssa or Althea. Our future children’s names will start with the first letter of the English alphabet. When we were old, I would take care of him. I wondered if he would still have this military cut cropped hair when his hair was already gray. And I…

Kap startled me. “We are here.” His serious voice alerted me.

I stared past him and noticed that he had just parked in front of our house. My secret musing of my future life with him made me oblivious of our drive home.

“We are here,” I repeated as I wondered on the change of his mood. He looked overjoyed earlier and now he looked somber. I opened my mouth to ask why but he was out of the car and he stood on my side to open the passenger door. He smiled as he waited for me but his smile appeared to be apprehensive. It made me uneasy and I looked up to him.

“I want to speak with your parents,” he said in a calm voice.

As if on cue, my mother appeared on the doorway and beamed at Kap.

Kap held my hand where the ring was. And I realized. Kap was going to tell my parents. The realization made me stagger as I walked beside him.

“Easy,” he whispered and steadied me.

“Kap! Mikaela! You just arrived on time. For the cake,” Mom exclaimed. She gently pulled Kap inside.

My father sat on the sofa watching television. He glanced up, saw Kap and me and gave Kap a tiny nod before he smiled.

There was no time to prepare myself or my parents to what Kap was about to say. And Kap was a trained military officer. He said things as they are they are. Straight. Like facts.  I’m marrying your daughter. I groaned silently.

Kap took the seat across my father. And I sat beside him.

He looked at my parents and began in a low clear voice, “Sir, Ma’am, I have something to say. But first I would like to apologize for not doing it properly.” Kap paused, cleared his throat and held my hand. The hand where the ring was.

My heart stopped as I waited for Kap to continue. I looked down and stared at my hand. I wondered if Mom could see the ring. I was grateful that Kap’s large hand made my small hand disappear. And the ring was hidden. My engagement ring.

“Sir, Ma’am, I should have informed you first of my intention but as it is, I asked your daughter to marry me and she accepted,” Kap announced matter of factly.

“What?” My dad exclaimed.

“Oh my!” My mom said.

I looked up to see the reaction of my parents.

Both were shocked. And something else, that was more evident. Upset? Or worse, disapproval?

I was alarmed. I glanced on my side.

Kap appeared prepared. On what? On what I thought I saw on my parents' reactions? Their rejection of Kap’s offer of marriagel?

I held on Kap’s hand. Tighter. I loved Kap. And I would prove it to him. Now. With my parents. 

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 12:27:33 pm by jezamae »

jezamae

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 07:03:07 pm »
@sis wynema and sis ssshazzle, hindi naman masyadong sad. mejo lang... i hope you will like book 2  :)

@ sis allie, long time no read ah... busy ba?   ;D

@ sis simpleme and sis fairy777, hope magustuhan nyo pa rin ang book 2

@ sis bhaby cj825 and sis leequid, thanks for reading

happy new year to you mga sis
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 07:07:09 pm by jezamae »

jezamae

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 07:09:59 pm »
i will post the remaining part of this chapter tomorrow night

happy new year to all!!!

2009 na!!!

bhabycj825

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 08:46:20 pm »
thanks sis sa pag post mo..kaya lang bitin na naman ako hehe.  :D

twentysomething gal

• It's great bein' a
  • GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 02:28:19 am »
i like your story! keep it going sis! you're a good writer...
i even share the story to my husband! ;)

Happy new year!
SUPERBLESSED!!!

jezamae

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 05:13:58 pm »

The room reverberated with uncomfortable silence.

Kap waited.

Dad looked at Kap, then at me and at Mom.

Mom sat with her gaze on my hand, obviously staring at the ring. My engagement ring.

I broke the silence. “I thought you like him,” I said harshly as I failed to hide the disappointment in my voice.

“Mikaela,” Kap whispered and caressed my hand.

Dad looked at me sternly before he spoke. “We did. We still do.”

“Dad.” Mom gently patted the arm of my dad.

Dad moved his attention to Kap. “We like you. I am sure you know that. We also know that you love our daughter. But, ” he looked at me and paused.

Kap was very patient but I was not. “But what?” I blurted out feeling very frustrated.

Mom softly warned me. “Mikaela.”

My mom’s soft voice made me realize that I was being discourteous and I was embarrassed. They were my parents. I glanced up and saw my dad’s disapproving look. “I’m sorry.”

“Sir?” Kap asked softly.

“Don’t you think that it’s too early to talk about marriage?” Dad asked sounding authoritative as a parent talked to a child.

“It’s been only a month since you became…” the voice of my mom trailed off.

“I understand you concern, sir, ma’am, that’s why we haven’t discuss the date,” Kap responded firmly and added, “yet.”

My parents looked at him and at me.

“I love your daughter. I love Mikaela. I promise to take good care of her. I appreciate that you like me, as you said so, sir. But I also wish that you can trust me regarding your daughter. And I will do my best to earn that trust,” Kap said firmly.

I looked at him and felt proud of what he was doing. He was convincing my parents.

Kap continued. “I understand that you think that one month is a short time, so I will wait until you are certain that you can entrust me your daughter’s life and future. I assure you that I take my responsibilities very seriously. But right now, I just want to make my intentions clear. I wish for Mikaela to be my wife. And I will wait.”

He would wait. And do I have a say here? Until when would I wait?

Dad shook his head and laughed cautiously. “Well, I say, that’s comforting to hear.” He reached out to Kap. “Congratulations then.”

I felt Kap’s body relaxed as he smiled and shook Dad’s outreached hand. “Thank you sir.”

The four of us tried to act normal but I was on edge. Things were a little different.

Mom served the cake, not in the kitchen as she used to, but in the living room. She was her beaming self when she talked to Kap but her eyes wandered on my hand, staring at the ring. Dad still talked to Kap about my grandfather’s guerilla exploits but he kept glancing at me. I knew that a father and daughter talk would come later.

“I should leave now,” Kap announced half an hour after surprising my parents with my acceptance of his marriage proposal.

“I’ll walk you to your car.” I desperately wanted to talk to him.

Kap turned to my parents. “Sir, ma’am.”

Both of them smiled and reminded Kap to drive safely.

Kap was quiet as we walked so I spoke. “I’m sorry about that. I guess it was a shock to them. They have no idea that… I guess I should have prepared them.”

“Shhh.” Kap shushed me. “ Don’t apologize. I understand. They are you parents. Don’t worry about it. What’s important right now is that you agreed to marry me.”

“Yes. I did,” I said determinedly.

“I know that.” He exhaled a long breath and shook his head.

I wanted to hug him.

He stared at me with his intense brown eyes. “We had a bad start. I realized that. But listen to this. I love you and I am marrying you. Whatever happens.” He uttered with conviction and I believed him.

“And I am marrying you,” I replied. Whatever happens.

He left with his Josh Hartnett smile. And it comforted me. Everything will be fine.

I went back to our house and met two pairs of eyes, both full of questions. My parents. I realized that the father and daughter talk was about to begin. I crossed my fingers as I walked inside.

My father waited for me to sit down before he spoke gently. “You know that we want the best for you.”

He is the best for me. I held back my tongue and waited for Dad to continue. I glanced at my mom. She looked uneasy as she sat beside Dad.

Dad continued, “We are concerned with your happiness.”

He is my happiness. How can anyone not see it?

“I am not against with this relationship. But marriage?” Dad looked incredulous.

I lifted my chin and said, “I already agreed to marry him, Dad. And I will marry him.”

“I am not opposing this marriage Mikaela. But it’s too soon. You hardly know him,” Dad muttered in a tight voice.

I knew he would emphasize this. One month is too short a time to know Kap well enough and to get married to. And Dad was right of course.

Mom joined. “Get to know each other well first. A year perhaps. Marriage is a lifetime commitment, Mikaela.” 

Kap promised to have me for the rest of his life and even beyond it.

I looked at Dad. What I saw was not just pure concern but he also looked worried. The expression on his face softened me.

“We haven’t decided when.  And I am sure that it is not soon. I guess, that’s enough for now. Dad, Mom.”

Mom looked at Dad.

“Tres is a good man. He will take good care of me. I believe that. I hope that you also do. He loves me. And I love him. And we are getting married in the future. I’m sorry but can you please be happy for me?” I almost pleaded.

The tone of my voice seemed to have swayed them.

“We are happy for you of course.” Mom gently said as she patted my hand.

“Thanks.” I mumbled, “can I go up now?” got up and started to walk to the stairs going to my room.

They responded simultaneously.

Mom said, “of course.”

Dad said firmly, “not less than six months Mikaela. I wouldn’t want to hear about this marriage in less than six months from now.”

What he said stopped me. “Okay,” I replied and walked away.

I released a sigh of relief as soon as I was in my room. It was a scene straight from a television soap opera. The missing part was the crying or screaming.

The phone rung before I closed my door. Kap.

I picked up the call on the first ring. “Hi. Are you okay? Are you still driving?”

“Yes. No.”

Yes, he is okay. No, he was not driving.

“How was it?”

“How was what?”

"Ummm… the talk with your parents?”

“How did you know?”

“I know. That’s why I left right away. They couldn’t wait to talk to you.” I heard him sigh.

Of course, he noticed. I forgot how observant he was.

“I’m sorry about that. They were just concerned. They think that it’s too soon for us. That we still have to know each other. You know. Those things.”

“I understand. And we don’t want them to worry. I can wait for a year.”

“A year? Dad agreed on six months,” I blurted out.

There was silence and then he laughed. “Six months then.”

I was embarrassed. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…”

He interrupted me. “If I had a choice, I will marry you today.”

It thrilled me.

“Mikaela.” He whispered my name in a soft voice that I loved to hear.

“Yes?”

“I love you. And I am marrying you. I will make you happy. And I am never going to let you go. I promise you that. ” His voice was softer than a whisper.

“I love you too,” I replied.

“Get rest. It has been a long day.” He disconnected.

He was right. It has been a long day. I looked at my ring. I was engaged.

Not more than twelve hours ago, I woke up looking forward to celebrate our first monthsary. Kap groaned but he agreed. He totally didn’t understand monthsaries. An hour before Kap arrived to get me, I met Anne and Aileen at the lobby of our office. Aileen begged me to give Kap back to him. I knew that it was the right thing to do, but I loved Kap too much and I didn’t have the strength to let go of him. It was not an easy decision and I cried inside my favorite chapel knowing I was being selfish. Kap comforted me by asking me to marry him and I agreed. The euphoria of knowing that he loved me enough to marry me was diminished by my parents’ reservation. Too soon, they argued. But Kap assured me, he would wait. And he would marry me. Whatever happens. But nothing was going to happen. Kap and I just have to know each other well in the next six months. What could go wrong on something as simple as that?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 11:51:06 am by jezamae »

jezamae

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 05:30:48 pm »
i like your story! keep it going sis! you're a good writer...
i even share the story to my husband! ;)

Happy new year!

thanks sis

i hope the hubby likes it too

happy new year to you

:)

jezamae

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 05:32:20 pm »
thanks sis sa pag post mo..kaya lang bitin na naman ako hehe.  :D

ayan sis

as requested, here's the latest installment

happy new year to you

;)

bhabycj825

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 09:25:46 pm »
happy new year din! wala pa bang continuation?  ;)

jezamae

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 10:43:20 pm »
Two: I, Me, and Myself

“That’s too soon, Mikaela. And Mom was very worried. Why didn’t you tell me before…” Her high-pitched voice faded as I cradled the phone on my ear. I heard the voice of my brother-in-law at the background. I was sure that my sister’s husband reminded her to be easy with me.

I patiently listened to my sister, Rafaella. Somehow the news of my marriage, that has no date yet, reached my sister while I was asleep. I glanced at the clock on my bedside table. Six thirty. I groaned. It was a Sunday and I usually woke up at past seven on Sundays.

“Rafa, it was not planned.  I didn’t know that he would ask me to marry him.” And I was glad that he did.

“That’s what I am telling you. You hardly know him.”

I closed my eyes. Everyone’s telling me that.  Gabriel told me last night too as soon as Mom told him the news. And I was beginning to believe that but my heart told me otherwise. My heart knew him. It could feel him with my eyes closed.

“We haven’t set the date. We told Mom and Dad.”

“You think that’s enough to pacify our parents?”

I sighed. “Aren’t they?”

“Mom called me. She’s very worried about this.”

“Then tell Mom not to worry. It’s not going to happen soon.” I shook my head.

“Mikaela, listen to us okay? We are very concerned. You are the youngest.”

“Gabe was only three minutes older than me,” I reminded my older sister.

She raised her voice. “I don’t even know this man. I only met him once.” 

I knew. That was during my birthday. More than two months ago.

“I understand your concern. But Tres is a good man, Rafa.” I wanted to assure my sister and the rest of my family.

“I am sure that he is. But…” she paused. “Give it time okay? Get to know him well.”

“I will. I promise. And stop worrying.”

She muttered, “all right, ” and then she talked about my nieces. The girls were practicing for a play at school and my sister was excited. She forgot about the news of my marriage and I was relieved.

I sighed when she hung up. My family. They all said the same thing. It’s too soon. Get to know him well. And I would. To please them. To make everybody happy. So I could marry Kap in peace. Soon, I hoped.

I thought about it as I lay down on my bed. How do I convince my family that I know Kap well enough to marry him? How do I do that in a short time and not wait for year? Give him an application form? Just like in the office? I laughed on this thought. But an idea came to my mind and I smiled.

I was still smiling when I went down. Mom saw it and misunderstood. She initially frowned and then sighed.

“Not less than six months Mikaela, you agreed to your father’s wishes,” she reminded me.

I rolled my eyes. “Good morning Mom,” I greeted her cheerfully. “What’s for breakfast?”

Mom gave me one look and her mood changed. She beamed. “I prepared omelet. You father requested it.”

I ate as Mom talked about my nieces and the play at school. She was thrilled with this. I looked at her and secretly wished that she felt this way when Kap told them that he was marrying me. I stopped myself. It didn’t matter now. I should focus on convincing them that the marriage was going to happen. Soon.

“So, when will it be?” Juliet’s voice preceded her.

I looked back to see her coming in the kitchen. I was used to my friends early visit. In this case, it was a very early morning Sunday visit.

“News travel fast,” I smirked playfully.

“Your brother told me.”

“They haven’t set the date yet,” Mom replied.

“Why not?” Juliet asked.

Before I could reply, she added in pleading voice, “I will be your maid of honor. Please?”

She perfectly played the part of a pleading friend and I laughed.

Juliet looked offended. “You were Cecille’s maid of honor. It’s my turn now.”

“You can’t count that against me,” I told her. At Cecille’s wedding, the maid of honor was decided by a flip of a coin between Juliet and me. Head for Juliet and tail for me. I won.

Juliet pursed her upper lip.

“We have been friends since kindergarten but,” I hesitated and looked at her.

Juliet looked crestfallen.

I continued with a serious face, “but as you see, who would it be if it's not you?” I winked at Mom and started to laugh.

Juliet jumped at me and hugged me. “Thanks.”

Mom laughed at both of us.

Julie moved away from me. “So what’s the story?”

I looked at her puzzled. “What story?”

“How did it happen? How did he ask you to marry him?”

“Well,” I began and I paused when I saw the expression on my the face of my mom.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 12:40:41 pm by jezamae »

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close