I can definitely relate to this.
My son was born with a congenital disease involving the intestines. He looked normal when he was born, though he was vomitting greenish substance right after he was taken out of my tummy. The doctors thought he was just stressed as he was born via emergency C-Section. He wasn't given anything (milk) because he continued to vomit on his 3rd day of life.
His pedia talked to me and his dad, and informed us that my son might be suffering from Hirsprung disease. She referred us to a pediatric surgeon and a neonatologist. I was really crying so hard; I suddenly forgot all the pain that I've been experiencing since I gave birth. No matter how the doctors seemed relaxed, I remember myself shaking in disbelief. I weeped all the more when I recalled the hardships that I had when my baby was still in my womb. He may be unexpected, but he is definitely NOT unwanted.
People started to ask me if I took some pills or contraceptive, which to me was a subtle way of asking if I had intentions to abort my baby. I resent their queries, because I know that even though I wasn't ready to be a wife, I AM ready to be a GOOD MOTHER. I can sincerely swear that I never took any drug that would harm the baby.
Our little boy underwent his first major operation on his 3rd day of life. A huge portion of his small intestines were cut, as it turned gangrene due to lack of blood supply. It was learned that a part of his intestines did not develop, thus leaving a whole on the stomach's membrane, where the intestines sort of entered and got strangulated. My baby had an ileostomy, and for almost 5 months, he pooped on the right side of his tummy. We weren't able to use a colostomy bag for him, as the area around his ileostomy had been very irritated with the acid coming from the small intestines. We had to ardiously change his gauze, which served as his "diaper." It was really hard for us parents, but I know it's even harder for our baby.
In August, he had his 2nd major operation to close the stoma (ileostomy). We had a difficult ordeal again, for he was not allowed to eat for 8 days. He kept on crying and crying; I felt bad giving him a pacifier everytime he felt hungry. All those days in the hospital, I had an average of 3 hours of sleep. I absented myself from work so I could better take care of him. Seeing how my son endured all the pain brought about by his condition, he really lived up to the meaning of the name we had given him: STRONG.
At present, Baby Ethan looks just like the normal baby. No one could guess how greatly he suffered during the early days of his life. His doctors say his recovery is really miraculous. He gained weight despite his condition, and he developing well and he can perform like any other normal babies his age.
I also worry sometimes, how I should explain everything to him when he starts to notice the scars on his tummy. His dad, he may not say it, but I know he's also concerned about how our son should respond to the namecalling he might encounter in the future. I just say that as long as we raise our baby well and as long as he grows up to be a good citizen, I know we should not worry about what other people would call him. If he begins to ask about his scars, I could tell him "It's ok, baby. Mommy also has it. We both have scars because you are my son." :-)
P.S.
Sorry for the looooong psot. Just got carried away.