Author Topic: Gifts for your special someone  (Read 2954 times)

Girltalker2

  • Guest
Gifts for your special someone
« on: February 09, 2014, 08:25:12 pm »
Since malapit na ang valentine's, should you normally set a budget for the gift that you are to give to your love one?  How much is too much? 

Me and my guy have been going out for almost two years.  I must say we enjoy each other's company very much.  Andun yung common interests, activities, interesting conversations, etc. 

Masasabi ko I am a very practical person when it comes to gift giving.  So I prefer to give gifts na nagagamit nya or need nya rather than mahal na baka hindi nya gamitin. Pero once I recognize that need, hindi ko iniintindi ang budget. Ang tanong ko - I want to give my bf a watch this valentine's.  Is it too much?  But I really want him to have it, mas proud din ako kung suot nya ang binibigay ko.  I know he will wear it, at pareho kami ng taste and I think I found the right one for him. 

His current watch is already 20+ years with him, may sentimental value daw as he used his first pay check to buy it.  It was just sent to repairs recently pero matibay talaga ang watch nya.  It is battery operated and not water resistant.  So now I am thinking of buying him a new watch that would replace something very precious din sa kanya - pero better kasi automatic at water-resistant. 

Is this Omega watch too much?
http://www.amazon.com/Omega-3210-50-Speedmaster-Chronograph-Watch/dp/B0014JI864





« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:28:04 pm by Girltalker2 »

k_heart

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 09:10:45 pm »
^oh, wow! Nice watch! Sa akin lang naman ito sis, kung husband na yes. pero valentines day
and still a bf, yes, too much. pero opionion ko lang yun. ha!ha!
pag valentines day kasi, i just gave him shirts, accessories sa mga gadgets nya,etc.
big items tickets are reserved for birthdays and christmas.
pero syempre, bawat couple, different standards, what is too much for a couple will not be that much naman to another. I n return, he always gives me flowers, minsan 1 stem, minsan naman
1 dozen.

Girltalker2

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 09:37:01 pm »
^ sis, don't get me wrong. as I have said I am very practical when it comes to gift giving. I do not normally give a gift because it is expensive.  Nagbibigay lang ako kasi nararapat.  Last year, naalala ko, sya ang date ko sa Valentine's and I just did not have anything for him, just my time.

Nung brithday nya, I gave him a Nike shirt because he is into sports.  Then when he moved jobs, napapadalas na ang long haul travels nya (kasi dati more on short), so I realized that he needs a bigger luggage, yun naman ang binigay ko. 

Right now, wala akong balak na may ibigay sa birthday nya.  Unless I can think of something he needs.  Will he think na lagi ganyan ang standard ko?  Kasi mga alternatives na nakikita ko close din naman ang price range. 

My second concern, I do not want him to be tied to me because of gifts.  So pag binigay ko ito, ayoko feeling "stuck" sya kung ayaw na nya sakin.   Kasi gusto ko andyan sya because he loves me. But I want him to have the watch, bagay talaga sa kanya. I want him to have it.
If ever naging hindi na kami in the future (cross fingers), I trust he would return it. If he does not, I want him to have it anyway.

On another note, a watch for me kasi is a lifetime asset.  Hindi sya parang celfone na kada taon puede ka magpalit.  So if ever na bibilhan ko sya, gusto ko for keeps narin. Tapos kung sana mas mura lang yung watch, I would still buy it for him - gusto ko maganda ang face, automatic, water resistant, may 2-3 bilog sa face, at for keeps.  If ever may watch that would look close to that.... it's Tag.  Pero yun din, ganun din ang price range.  Kasi alangan din if I give him Swatch o G shock, hindi na bagay sa age nya di ba?  Nakakatawa lang, gagamitin for a year then wala na. 
Is giving a watch to your guy like giving a diamond ring to your GF? Hindi naman siguro.  Hindi naman ako nagp propose eh. I really want him to have it.

Tsaka hush hush, we are not teens anymore ha, medyo lampas na kami sa calendaryo.  So iba narin nga siguro ang level of gift giving?  Or do I still need to be careful?  In love lang ba talaga ako kaya hindi ko naiisip ang cost?  But this is just one time. Hindi ko balak taon taon magregalo ng ganito. Ngayon ko lang naisip na kelangan nya.



« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:53:15 pm by Girltalker2 »

Girltalker2

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 09:55:52 pm »
^ Tsaka sis idagdag ko lang, it's not like it is a rolex or something.  (sounds defensive ba)   :P
I did contemplate on giving a rolex to my ex hubby before buti nalang natauhan ako before it happened.  ::)

So ngayon, I just want some opinion... na sana nasa lugar naman ako.

You see I don't splurge a lot. Well I think I don't as I don't own any signature bags by the way.  I am just a very simple practical person.  kung worth yung isang item, I go for it.  But I love him and I want to make him happy always. Yun lang.  Of course this watch will just be a surprise in the short term (valentine's) but it could also be a symbol of my love for him everytime he wears it.  Hindi ba?   Naisip ko lang.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:00:19 pm by Girltalker2 »

k_heart

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 09:57:49 pm »
^Anything sis, that you expect a guy that he will always wear it is also like wearing your heart on
your sleeves. (may sense ba yung sinabi ko?,ha!ha!)
for guys kasi, very personal ang watches. Sabi mo nga sa kwento mo, hindi nya pinapalitan
yung watch nya kasi may sentimental reason.
and you are right about your second concern. and if you will give something, kahit gaano ka-expensive, don't expect it na ibabalik. kaya nga gift,its for keeps.
But i still think that you can still made him feel love this Valentine's Day without giving him
a costly gift.
the best gift is not the most expensive one.
you can give him a watch pero not that costly siguro???? but sis, it's your money and if it
will really make you happy,then go on! Kasi you think also that it will make him happy.
But i think, you have made up your mind. and just looking for a confirmation! : )

DianeShishio

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 10:10:37 pm »
Wow! Steeeeeep!  ;D

Sis, get him a watch from a mid-range brand na muna. Save it for a really special occasion. :3

Girltalker2

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 10:25:04 pm »
^ thanks sis.  Will consider Tissot.  Any other suggestions?

Nanghihinayang lang ako kung bibili ako ngayon, tapos later bibili ulit. Mas mapapamahal ako.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:36:05 pm by Girltalker2 »

jan888

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 10:34:22 pm »
Same here sis..get him something just as practical but not too steep a price!  Save the Omega watch when you're married nalang that way as you mentioned above, he won't feel obligated or stuck in case your relationships don't work out (thinking of the worst scenario)..

Girltalker2

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 10:49:23 pm »
^ thinking hard sis. 

Iyan nga, nabanggit ko na rin na nanghihinayang kasi ako, hindi ko masyado feel yung watch na ibibigay ko now kasi siguro hindi ko pa sila nakikita.  Ang nakita ko yung na decide-an ko na. But I have not bought it pa.

And we are not that "young" anymore, which makes me think more if I should wait or not wait... And I don't have any plans of getting married again, not at the moment kasi.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:04:03 pm by Girltalker2 »

DianeShishio

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 11:49:29 pm »
Hmmm.... How about getting him the same watch that he has right now? :D

I think he'll appreciate the effort. :3

Girltalker2

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 11:58:31 pm »

^ His current watch, I had it repaired kasi nga halos 25 years na sya. It's a Seiko watch  :)  I then tried looking for new Seiko watches... Lo and Behold, would you believe, the range of prices they have!  They have P2k-P10k, pero may range din sila na hanggang P200k pa!  Kaya nga napaisip ako na kung P200k rin lang na Seiko, I'd rather go for Omega.

Worse case, I am also thinking na sabihin ko sa kanya na totally nasira na watch nya... Then surprise ko sya na ibalik ko old watch nya, after having it cleaned, repaired and new strap!   :)

I still have this 5% in me na NOT to buy yet kasi.  For me kung something na medyo mahal, dapat buo loob ko in buying it. 


DianeShishio

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 12:10:11 am »
“Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.”
~Erica Jong

If he has expressed the need/want for a new watch, I'd say go.

If not, stick to the restoration plan na lang.  ;D

$3000 is steep no matter how I look at it.  :o

shegie_285

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 04:24:57 am »
hi sis, I think it depends on the level of your relationship. my now hubby got me a diamond necklace when we were just two years of being boyfriend-girlfriend. we weren't even talking about getting married at that stage but I think for him he knew then ako na. :) anyway, it wasn't as expensive as that watch, but it was USD1k din and there was no occasion. I was going to buy the diamond myself but he bought it for me. and hubby is very practical!

One thing to consider, what do you think will he think about the watch? Nung mag-bf pa din kami I wanted to give hubby a watch like a tag for our anniversary, but then alam ko he won't like it dahil he's not that type of person (not into brands and not into watches). But because I wanted to give him a watch, dun ako sa mas mura. hehe.. I got him a Movado watch na simple lang. Mahal pa din for his standard but kaya nya I-accept ang price.

But anyway, you said you don't want him to be stuck with you dahil sa gifts, it just makes me think baka its not yet the right time to give him he watch, because otherwise you wouldn't think of it.  If you feel he's for keeps okay lang na mahal ang watch. With regard to baka it will set expectation, I don't think it will be, napag-uusapan naman un.  Minsan nga we say no gift giving, etc. You can always say na one time lang na gift if he thinks its very expensive.  I guess each of us nag-splurge sa loved ones natin but we know na hindi naman laging ganun.

Girltalker2

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 01:37:20 pm »
salamat sis shegie.

mamaya mag iikot ako to look around. pero the thought of buying him what I originally planned really excites me. pero baka naman kasi if I see other alternatives, may katumbas din na happy ako. will see at salamat sa mga advices ninyo.


khriseeee

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 05:31:19 pm »
If you want to give it to him because you love him and you think he will love it and cherish it then so be it, especially if you can afford it. As long as you give it whole-heartedly and won't regret it in the event of a break-up. Not practical rin to give two watches, unless he's really into watches.

Girltalker2

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 09:01:40 pm »

^ thanks sis.

Given the feedback here, I may want to wait for a while. This is the feeling kasi kapag nagsh shopping ka, tapos may gustong gusto kang bilhin.  So ang solution itutulog ko muna ng ilang araw, and see if the feeling is the same after several days. Kapag hindi ako makatulog, that means, I would want to buy it then :)


jan888

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 10:12:38 pm »
sis if you're open to suggestion lang.. how about a montblanc boheme pen with a blue gem on the clip? then have it engraved?  hubby and I gave in-laws (his dad and mom) his/hers (blue gem and a red ruby gem) but we didn't have them engraved anymore, I felt they genuinely appreciated the gifts :)

Girltalker2

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 11:07:44 pm »

^ thanks for the suggestion sis.

My bf is not into pens. lagi sya nakakawala so hindi din nya magamit mga existing pens nya (naka engrave name nya) kasi baka mawala. 

But it is a great gift idea. In fact I also did give my ex his montblanc pen and he is still using it up until now kahit wala na kami.


babyboo.0326

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 11:19:57 pm »
it seems you've already set your heart into the gift you want to surprise him with, sis. so kahit ano pa ang sabihin namin dito, it will still boil down to your own decision. so if you have the means naman, go ahead and give it to him, kasi it will make you happy and thinking of it already makes you happy (tingin ko lang naman ha based sa mga sagot mo, you seem so excited na with just the thought hehe). and since you said nga na you're of age naman na, i think alam mo na what you want to give him and what he wants since sabi mo nga you're almost 2 years into the relationship na. with that price, it's pretty steep talaga, kahit ako siguro i won't give that much, even if we're both lagpas na rin sa calendar and 3 years into the relationship naman. at the end of the day, it's still your money and your heart's desire to make your man happy  :)

Girltalker2

  • Guest
Re: Gifts for your special someone
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 10:39:17 am »
He was so happy with gift. Surprised pa talaga kasi wala naman occasion :D

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close