watch now

Author Topic: It's been 3 years, still can't find a decent new job; should i just resign?  (Read 3607 times)

snix

  • Guest
I've been working in the same company for 2 years turning 3.. It's my first job and it's a home office..

It was great at the beginning but now it's starting to get so dull and wala na talagang growth.. Most of the days pumapasok ako wala naman ginagawa.. Add to that hindi rin tumataas ang salary and no benefits at all.

Last year ko pa gusto magresign so i set about finding jobs while im still working since i cant resign dahil dami ko binabayaran but i wasn't able to find one. Thoug i passed some interviews they could not afford to raise my salary, kadalasan mas mababa pa sa ineearn ko.. Ngayon i thought i was going to get a decent job dahil new year.. Unfortunately walang mga openings ang companies..

Im hetting frustrated na, i just want to resign na lang kaya lang naisip ko andami ko babayaran.. Ive been saying since last year na magreresign nako pero wala pa rin nangyayari.. It just gets so frustrating sobrang inis ko im losing hope of ever finding a new job

slickchick

  • Guest
^ sis, may i know what industry you're currently working on? i'm asking this sis, kasi if you're in an industry that is in-demand, perhaps you just need to look into other job searching channels... however, if you're not in an industry that's in-demand these days, and you really wanted to find another job, perhaps you can try upgrading your skills set or learning a new set of skills to make you more marketable. just my opinion sis.  :)

rastagurl11

  • Guest
Sis, i think it's reslly hard to find a decent job these days, don't give up just yet, may times kasi that it takes time for companies to reply to you, you will go to countless interviews and end up not getting hired, it's hard but the right job will come to you eventually. I don't advise din to settle for less since we all have bills to pay, you won't be happy rin kasi lalabas negative income ka pa, that defies why you are working.

Slickchick is right, take online courses or seminars that will add to your skills. Goodluck!

aquacharly

  • Guest
Think positive.
Find ways to upgrade your skills.
The thing with employment --  you gotta prove you can handle the next upward job well before they consider giving it to you.  Hindi yung, they drop it in your lap and then let you prove yourself.
So whether you searcf more, or need to stay --  muster enthusiasm, a pro-active attitude, pleasant work ethics --  so you exude positive vibes & open more doors for yourself.

If "the well is dry" within your industry --  why not consider shifting to another industry/line of work? 
Think inwards deeply -- what do you have a passion for? Which skills/talents of yours  are stronger? 
What economic field will you want to grow in?

Don't quit your job until you have another job to transfer to.
Sabi mo nga -- madami kang binabayaran. 
While you are looking for another job, do your best to live BELOW your means, so you eventually become debt-free or are able to build up savings.
Having to work to pay for debts drains your enthusiasm -- nagastos na, so what's to look forward to? That's just human nature.  Don't shoot me.

Good lucky with your search.

snix

  • Guest
At Slickchick, I'm an interior designer. I love what I'm doing so I haven't considered yet shifting to another field.

Let me just add another reason why I want to resign. My boss has decided not to accept anymore design projects and focus on mall decors instead. If you've seen hanging decors in robinsons malls or sm malls, yeah that's what we do. The problem with this is it's seasonal so kapag valentines, christmas and other events lang meron design minsan wala pa. Most of the time kapag walang project, she asks me to do her lectures (she's a prof in UP), research on some of her presentations and the worst that I had to do is to teach her kids some lessons or sometimes take care of them while they're gone, parang baby sitter lang. Sometimes, I stay late in the office just to take care of her kids habang hindi pa dumadating silang magasawa

@aqucharly and rastagurl - I took some design courses just to improve my skills. I've also attended seminars. still NADA. I think the industry for designers like me here is terrible. I get depressed everyday at work knowing the skills i worked hard for four year are being wasted. :(

freelancer_babe

  • Guest
Have you tried online jobs?

I mean not the clicky stuff that are posted here, or even writing jobs. I mean online jobs that has to do with website design, logo designs, brochures, etc.

Or better yet, UI designs. Yun lang you have to know a bit of HTML, CSS and PHP. It's not basically a programming skill, as you have to focus on UI/front end - you can actually work with a programmer to do all the coding work for you. The skill quite a demand these days especially overseas - not yet locally, pero I see some small web design teams there in Manila who are looking for graphic/UI designers - usually those with fine arts or related degrees.

If successful malaki rin ang kikitain mo doing these if you know where to look for such gigs online. You also need show a strong/impressive portfolio.

I think it is in line with your field/creativity. If you have to shift from what you are currently doing, try mo lang itong line na ito.

* True sis, maraming mga graphic designers. Pero napansin ko lang, there aren't many graphic designers who really make a good impression with their designs. Since you are an interior designer, you probably have the edge to make designs pop - so it might be a field that you might like to venture into.

Good luck!

aquacharly

  • Guest
SNIX - go abroad.
Take a few short courses there to upgrade your skills & perspective

Abroad, there is more money to work with more/the latest materials.
My architect friends eventually work abroad.
They say working abroad frees and develops their creativity.

IMO, the same logic applies to fashion designers.

Baby-sitting? I feel why you wanna move. 

slickchick

  • Guest
sis snix, nice suggestions from sis freelancer_babe and aquacharly. i also suggest (while waiting for opportunities abroad or looking into being a graphics designer), to try partnering with architects. we have a family friend who's an interior designer. he has some architect contacts. they work in tandem especially in designing homes.

snix

  • Guest
@freelancer_babe - yup i've been doing some online gigs. It pays well but the competition is tough. I used to write online on odesk but now I can't get a decent job that pays well. I still do want a regular job though.

@aquacharly - I did consider going abroad. I passed for Dubai last year. Most of my batchmates have gone abroad too. When I was decided last year, something unfortunate happened. My dad got some complications and my mom asked me to stay and look for a job na lang here because (awa ng Diyos wag naman sana) something worse might happen to him.
I know right. I should've applied for a nanny instead.

@slickchick - tried this, most of the architects I know are not into freelancing or have partnered with much moree xperienced interior designers.

Ewan ko ha, it's like I've tried most of the options you all suggested. In the end though, I still want a decent and regular job.

My friends say that the economy is to blame but somehow I can't help but feel down. Minsan, pakiramdam ko sakin may problema.

aquacharly

  • Guest
We are a small market.  There are so many talented like you.  There just isn't enough opportunities/money here to challenge all. 

Go abroad.  I repeat my advice.  Go. Go. Go. You can always come back. Go try out there in the world. 

Most creative Pinoys who go abroad --  they become successful.  Actually, you will realize that magaling talaga Pinoy. Kulang lang sa pera dito. 

akthung

  • Guest
a newspaper editor once referred to this as the "glass ceiling."

from what i understand, it means that you can see the top. you are given hopes of going to the top. but you just hit the ceiling and can't move forward.

this is due to our constitution which favors the oligarchs. the oligarchs shoo away foreign competitions.

some universities in the US would often compare the Philippines with South Korea. both essentially started at the same time, 1986 and 1987 respectively, and both were under the Americans.

What Korea did was they opened up their Economy. So multicos and investors came in and HIRED Koreans, technology was transfered up to the point that koreans were able to grow rich enough to start their on their own. Now the manufacture ships, cars, planes (including fighter jets), weaponry, telecommunications equipment, outdoor equipment (at par with brands like North Face and Columbia), etc etc. Had this happened to the Philippines, a lot of us would be working for working for our very own Pinoy multinational companies.

but no. we can't get our S right. and there's too much corruption.

so the option for many is to leave. check out Singapore sis. maswerte mga pinoys ngayon at open ang Singapore.

noong time namin, ang tagal tagal na namin PR pero sarado ang Singapore. we lived there during the Lee Kuan Yew days.

good luck.

have a read on your off time:

Philippines vs Korea.

http://antipinoy.com/a-tale-of-two-countries-korea-and-the-philippines/



milafernz

  • Guest
huhu bakit ganun parang obrang nakakarelate ako dito. sayang lang rin 4-year course ko e :(

 

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close