For young children, everything is interesting. Small and shiny objects, in particular, seem to be favorites, which is all well and good--until your kids accidentally ingest them, that is. According to a news release by the American College of Emergency Physicians, these small objects aren’t only choking hazards. Some of them may even cause serious internal damage.


Small batteries and magnets, in particular, present the most damage. Children who accidentally ingest batteries from their toys may find the objects stuck in the esophagus or the gastrointestinal tract. Unless they are removed quickly, these batteries may go on to damage tissue. Kids who swallow neodymium magnets, on the other hand, may experience the objects attracting each other inside the body, which can trap tissue and cause internal damage that may warrant surgery.

Recommended Videos

According to college president Dr. David Seaberg, these small and shiny objects "are easily accessible to kids. Small batteries, for example, are often found in a child's toy, and from that child's perspective, they can look like pieces of candy."

This news serves as a reminder for parents to keep hazardous objects away from their kids. If you suspect your child has ingested something he shouldn't, researchers advise calling an emergency hotline or bringing your kid to the emergency room as soon as possible.


(Photo by Nicole Lee via Flickr Creative Commons)

Get the latest updates from Female Network
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Trending on Network

Latest Stories

How to Prepare In Case Every Family Member Including You Get COVID-19

COVID-19 is so contagious now that entire families are testing positive almost all at once.
Load More Stories