Homework is something most kids groan about. After all, having spent the whole day in class, many would feel that the last thing they want to do is revisit the lessons of the day or read ahead to prepare for future classes. But is your child moaning about a normal, healthy load that's designed to help her improve her understanding of the things she learns in school, or is she overloaded, which can not only stress her out but sour her on the concept of learning entirely?
Overscheduling children isn't something only parents do--schools can sometimes do this as well. Check out the issues we've outlined below to learn more about homework issues you should be aware of and the importance of seeking a work-life balance for your kids.
For more articles on helping your child deal with academics and school-related issues, check out these FN articles:
- 10 Skills Your Kids Aren’t Learning in School and How You Can Teach These to Them
- 10 Tips for Helping Your Child Develop Good Study Habits
- Are you raising a well-rounded child?
- 7 Reasons to Encourage Your Kids to Take up Extracurricular Activities
- Game On: 5 Tips on Raising a Child Who Grows up to Be a Winner
- Easy Does It: 20 Ways to Help Your Child Unwind
(Originally published on Female Network as "DepEd decrees no homework on weekends + Homework issues every mom should know about" on October 1, 2010)