A new study featured on Science Daily reports that excessive fish consumption may lead to increased methylmercury exposure—a compound, which, according to Medline Plus, may cause food poisoning.

Researchers interviewed 1,200 individuals and found that those who ate the most fish products exceeded the recommended amount of methylmercury, as prescribed by the Center for Disease Control Minimal Risk Level and the World Health Organization.

Too much methylmercury intake may lead to neurodevelopmental problems, poor cognitive function, and increased risk of cardiovascular disease.

However, sashimi and sushi lovers need not give up their favorite delicacies all together. Aside from the fact that meals made from eel, salmon, crab, and kelp were found to have lower methylmercury levels, researchers note that there should be nothing to worry about as long as you eat in moderation and regularly consult with your doctor

(Photo by www.blue-waikiki.com via Flickr Creative Commons)

Recommended Videos
Get the latest updates from Female Network
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Trending on Network

Latest Stories

Load More Stories