Author Topic: How to Jumpstart Freelance Writing Career?  (Read 1047 times)

oshiawase

• Senior GirlTalker
How to Jumpstart Freelance Writing Career?
« on: March 06, 2017, 11:32:43 am »
Hi! I need your advice especially from those who are freelance writers.

I am a college graduate and I plan to enter law school. I want to pursue writing in the future while working as lawyer. I was inspired to pursue writing after several of my professors commended my writing skills. However, I have zero experience working as writer (not in school paper, blog, official school journal, etc. that writers usually have). This somehow discourages me.

How do I start? Do I need one of those writing workshops/seminars?

How much is usual pay per write-up piece should I expect from an amateur like me?

Any advice/tips?

thank you!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 06:56:43 pm by oshiawase »

simang

• Acts like a lady, thinks like a man.
  • Super GirlTalker
Re: How to Jumstart Freelance Writing Career?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 12:37:03 pm »
Anong klaseng writer ba ang gusto mong career? There are academic writers, bloggers, editorial writers.. depende kung anong niche gusto mo.

Kung career sa writing talaga ang goal mo, example sa magazine or news, you have to have a degree in journalism (or something similar). Requirement yan. But if you're into more casual writing naman, you can start with blogging and apply for adsense para kumita ang blog mo. It takes a lot of time though to monetize your blog kasi you need to have substantial content and following para mag rank ang blog mo. If marunong ka sa SEO stuff, pwede mong mapabilis ang growth ng hits ng blog mo.

If you're looking naman at writing as a regular job, you can try freelancing sa mga web developers, usually they hire people to write content for their websites. But usually, ghost writer ka nyan, meaning yung mga sinusulat mo will be under the name of the website and not your name. So if you want to be known as a writer talaga, hindi ito ang option for you. You can try searching sa essays.ph, onlinejobs.ph, hubstaff, etc. Madami dyan naghahanap ng freelance writers.

As for rates, depende sa professional experience mo and also sa sample articles mo. Usually pag freelance per article ang bayad. Short generic articles can go as low as 5-10 usd, academic ones mas mahal pwedeng 50 usd. Depende sa employer.
...all adventurous women do.

Albrecht

• Probationary
Re: How to Jumpstart Freelance Writing Career?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 02:08:19 pm »
What are the best courses for a freelance writer? Can the writing certificates help with the future job in the writing field? Like the Freelance Writer Career Diploma course at  Penn Foster Career School. It's a 3-months course which costs $649, but I'm not sure it's worth it anyway...

Stefanie Albrecht
essaydune portfolio
____

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close