Author Topic: The Crown  (Read 1522 times)

luckypal

• Junior GirlTalker
The Crown
« on: December 02, 2016, 07:54:00 am »
The Crown, an American-British television drama series, focuses on Queen Elizabeth II as a 25-year-old newlywed faced with the daunting prospect of leading the world's most famous monarchy while forging a relationship with legendary Prime Minister, Sir Winston Churchill.

Has anyone tried watching this? I marathoned the entire series in a weekend :) I love the character of Queen Elizabeth II. Such quiet strength and classy elegance. I find it to be heavier and more somber than Downton Abbey but I like it. Definitely try to watch it if you're into British shows and modern history. 
Gold is for the mistress — silver for the maid —
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
“Good!” said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
“But Iron — Cold Iron — is master of them all.”
Iron out of Calvary is master of men all!"
— Rudyard Kipling

orangepulp

• Senior GirlTalker
Re: The Crown
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 12:56:23 pm »
I plan to watch this weekend. Sana matapos ko.
@foodgalore88

shinies

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 07:09:32 pm »
Natapos na namin. Maganda ito may mga life lessons haha

ayami

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 12:15:11 am »
So hooked to the point na napasali pa ko sa FB Group ng fans nito all over the world hehe. Nung unang pinanood namin ng husband ko nasa trip kami kaya tyagaan lang sa mobile Netflix app. Balak namin mag binge watch this weekend. Naku instant British royalty fans ang peg namin (na malayo sa aming gaming/anime trip). Planning to read more about their family other than Wiki ;)

hedonista

• mastering law of attraction
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • extremely grateful. thank you thank you thank you
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 02:39:36 am »
Heard about this through my office mate. Ill start watching once I finished last season of Mentalist :)
Nothing can come into your experience unless you summon it through persistent thoughts.

TitaChubbie

• Probationary
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 11:27:19 am »
Finished the whole 1st season too.  So nice that I got to supplement by researching and reading stories about the other Royal family members like King George the 6th, Princess Margaret and King Edward.  Since I finished the series quite fast I watched the King's Speech na rin:)

luckypal

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 02:40:31 am »
^ yeah, since watching the Crown, I want to know more about the House of Windsor :)
Gold is for the mistress — silver for the maid —
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
“Good!” said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
“But Iron — Cold Iron — is master of them all.”
Iron out of Calvary is master of men all!"
— Rudyard Kipling

ayami

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 08:03:50 am »
Last night I watched a documentary on iFlix entitled "Royal Babies", daming footage ng pagkabata nila Elizabeth, Margaret, Charles, William and Harry :)

anim_p

• GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 03:20:27 pm »
Super hooked din ako! Sobrang empowering for us women nun series.
Galing din ni Claire Foy.

pr1tzie

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 09:19:57 am »
Love this series so much!! From the set ups, costumes, actors, lahat ang galing! Sobrang interesting talaga. Can't wait for season 2!!!
One tough cookie. :)

ohcmon

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 02:44:45 pm »
Reviving this thread since Season 3 has already been out.

Sadly, this season has been the most underwhelming for me.  There were a couple standout episodes (Aberfan, Bubbikins) but the others, parang na-tackle na in the previous seasons as in Philip not being satisfied with what he's accomplished, Margaret being jealous of Elizabeth... Sana ibang aspects naman pinakita nila.

'Di ko rin masyadong feel the new characters except for Tobias Menzie who nailed it as Philip, although I will admit minsan hinahanap ko pa rin ang flamboyant version ni Matt Smith. :P Anne and Charles were spot on for the roles as well, iba chemistry nila to the point na may one scene sila I was expecting them to kiss only to be reminded that they are supposed to be siblings. ;D HBC, who is an excellent actress, sadly did not do Margaret justice. It almost seemed like she's playing herself haha sobrang kulang 'yung charm niya na meron si Vanessa Kirby.

Hopefully Season 4 gets better. Can't wait how the Diana and Charles story will unfold.

fifi_girl

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 03:28:32 pm »
Masyadong malayo yung naging gap from where they ended in Season 2 to where they are now in Season 3. Siguro walang masyadong significant events in between those years. Ang laki ng itinanda ni Queen Elizabeth from S2 to S3.

There was this episode wherein Queen Elizabeth was asked if she thinks that Prince Charles is not up to the job. She did not answer. Since Season 2, it was depicted that Charles is a weakling. So parang confirmation nga ito that Prince Charles will never accede to the Throne.

IMO, if Queen Elizabeth wants Charles to be King, she should have abdicated years ago, she's on her 90's na. Unless she just wants to hold on to the Crown until she dies.

Re: Margaret, naawa ako sa kanya, she might have all the money in the world, but she was never happy.

Excited for S4! Kailan kaya yun?

ohcmon

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 05:21:30 pm »
^ Season 4 should arrive late 2020 daw. :)

Parang too early nga for the show to change characters kasi when Season 3 started, Queen Elizabeth was supposed to be around 38 lang, so technically pwede pa sana si Claire Foy with a bit of old makeup hehe.

The Queen is not likely to abdicate not because she thinks Charles is unfit for the throne, but because there's never been a British monarch who has abdicated except for King Edward VIII. Charles will probably not abdicate as well as he spent his whole life preparing for the job.

twelvth_goddess

• A certified ZOE-holic and a true blue
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 07:56:17 am »
I just started watching this yesterday, I'm on season 1 episode 5 pa lang. So far, I love it. I've always been fascinated with the British monarchy.
Whatever I want, I get. If I can't, I don't stop TRYING.

fifi_girl

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 08:53:36 am »
i liked Tobias as Prince Phillip. Mas affectionate sila QE and PP sa Season 3.

twelvth_goddess

• A certified ZOE-holic and a true blue
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 02:37:30 pm »
I just started with season 3 and I miss Claire Foy as Queen Elizabeth, I can't shake Tobias' Edmure Tully role in GOT off of him :D

Whatever I want, I get. If I can't, I don't stop TRYING.

otra_vez

• GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 01:11:26 am »
I love The Crown. I'm in the minority-- I much prefer S3 to Seasons 1 & 2. I initially found Claire Foy boring so my love for her was a slow-burn whereas I love Olivia Colman already. But I agree that Claire Foy owned the role talaga. I also prefer Tobias Menzies to Matt Smith. But yes-- I miss Vanessa Kirby. She made a much more compelling Margaret plus I think physically, she has a stronger resemblance to the real Princess Margaret. Helena kasi, wonderful as an actress as she is, somehow still reminds me of Bellatrix.  ;D  What we can all agree on though I think is, ang galing ng actors playing Prince Charles and Princess Anne.

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close