Author Topic: Guitars Guitars Guitars  (Read 8347 times)

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
Re: Guitars Guitars Guitars
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 07:01:38 am »
@Telekikay

Bro. dumating na yung amp. now here's the interesting thing, the day it arrived is the day i had
to leave the state. the day was toxic as i had to personally clear it through customs and quarantine with the hopes of being able to finish everything (including bringing the amp home and unpacking it for it to breathe) before my flight.

i had a few lengthy interviews with customs and a simple interview with quarantine.

it's way better than the 30k  pesos that DHL quoted in Manila.

Now all i have to find is a good step down transformer before i can get things to run.

marshall na lang tsaka vox. haha
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:08:57 am by akthung »
I'm a baby Arhat. An Arhat has a well developed intuition, advanced mental powers, highly refined emotions and a strong desire to contribute personally to the uplifting of humanity.

FOURever

• My username does not fit me anymore :X
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Anything could happen.
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 07:43:43 pm »
I know this is medyo off topic.. Ask ko lang if anyone playing ukulele here? San nakakabili ng ukulele at ano ok na brand? :)
I like games well played :)

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 07:47:44 pm »
i think shops like JB Music or Lazer have them sis.
I'm a baby Arhat. An Arhat has a well developed intuition, advanced mental powers, highly refined emotions and a strong desire to contribute personally to the uplifting of humanity.

inluvewithmikewesten

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 08:28:59 pm »
I want to learn to play guitar but I have small hands, short fingers. Any guitar players here who has small hands too? Pa share naman po ng tips. Tia!

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 06:11:57 pm »
Hi Sis

I think anyone can play naman, provided that one practices (inc but not limited to finger stretching practices).

May advantages talaga ang mahahaba ang daliri, lalo na yung mahahaba at matataba pa.

you'd just have to find your style.

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 12:06:25 pm »
@ Telekikay.

The other day i saw a vintage wah pedal from the 70s, iba brand nagtaka ako kasi mukhang tunay na JEN at kamukha naman ng vintage 60s na crybaby. tapos ang gaan pa like the originals! tinaob ko para makita ilalim. nakita ko gawa nga ng JEN for the japanese market. lalo ako na excite. nung binuklat ko, daym! 60s capacitors! yung mga rainbow rainbow at naka totoong Fasel! so napatest ako tuloy.

tunog hendrix and srv!

transparent naman siya at lumalabas tunog nung gitara. kumakapit naman ang distortion. may buka naman siya.

so kinuha ko na. haha
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 12:11:20 pm by akthung »

telekikay

• Mister Mojo Rising Is A
  • GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Day destroys the night, Light divides the day...
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 09:46:01 pm »
akthung,

same specs ba ito ng TDK mo? bale dalawa ng wah mo? i think you need to send me some clips hehe langya, para kang storage wars ah! san mo ba nakukuha mga yan? hahaha!
"Smoking helps you lose weight -- one lung at a time!"

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 05:17:18 am »
well bro it all started kasi when i wanted to complete the basic pedals.

and then my friend naman came to me and wanted to sell his Jen wah. ang nakakainis, iba ang approach niya: he came online and started talking about wahs. hindi naman niya expressly sinabi na
may ganun ako and im selling it. nalaman ko na lang when someone showed interest and gave the intent to buy it. eh that time, i had just made a big purchase.

then i realized those wah pedals cost 400-1800 dollars, depending on the specific year, with the Clyde McCoy reaching 1800-2500.

Jen is the Original Maker of all those Wah pedals. every time nakakakita ako ng Jen sa Ebay, the sellers would never ship outside of their country. (99% of the time, USA).

yung TDK, yun ang 70s na Wah na may square na inductor. eto yung replacement inductor nung nag mahal yung red circe na Fasel inductor.

when i asked my musician friend about the difference between 60s and 70s, he said that the 70s is good but it doesnt have that 60s wah wah sweep. hindi siya ganung ka bilog. he added na the kind of wah that im after is only good for rock/blues, mala hendrix/SRV and that the TDK is good as an all around wah. it can be used for pop music too. so continue pa din ako sa pag hahanap.

then more than a week ako napadalaw ako sa Melbourne. habang naglalakad ako, i saw a "used guitar" store. kala ko nga pawn shop eh. but they sell all those used stuff ba.  tapos nakita ko yung wah na yun. sabi ko, "weird ah, mukhang Jen wah pero 'Greco'." so i kept an open mind and asked to see it. I was told na rare daw yun but napapangitan sila sa tunog.

hahaha. these guys do not know what they're talking about. syempre depende sa set up. kung modern amp mo at medyo on the low end (aside from being dead sounding), tapos dead  sounding pa gitara mo (usual case), talagang pangit ang sound. so again, i kept an open mind, and insisted to see the internals.

so pinicturan ko and sent the image to my musician friend. sabi niya na tama naman ang laman, so sound na lang ang kailangan itest and it should sound right. now ang 60s wah wah sound, eto yung mga naririnig natin sa Voodoo Child, White Room (Cream), SRV, Kenny Wayne. maganda ang TDK but less wuuuaaaawww, siya. hehe.

btw, pinang test ko ay yung modern na Telecaster Custom thru a Hughes and Kettner amp. malayo talaga sa vintage yung tele. the amp was okay-ish.

medyo matatagalan pa ako bago umuwi sa west...

OT ng konti,

yung shop na yun may mga vintage pedals. meron silang 1977 na MXR Phaser. I have one from 1978, very good for van halen stuff. a 1976 MXR Distortion +. Ibanez super tube screamer. Ibanez Analog Delay (ooh i want, pero wah ang imporant sa akin.) and one more na i can't remember.

2 days later i found that the wah i bought is worth 4 digits in some market.

bale 3 na wah ko bro. hehe.

a modern basic Dunlop Crybaby, Thomas Organ Crybaby (TDK inductor), then this new one, Jen Wah made, with red Fasel and tropical fish capacitors. Clyde McCoy is the 59 LP of wahs. so parang nakabili ako ng '58 LP ng wah. will i go for a Clyde? naah. okay na ako.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 05:26:33 am by akthung »

seven82

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2013, 12:07:51 pm »
pwede ba dito ang frustrated to learn?  :) i've enrolled in guitar lessons before. i guess maling music center lang napasukan ko as ang style e tinanong ako anong kanta gusto kong matutunan tugtugin tapos yun lang ng yun hanggang sa natapos yung sessions. high school pa ako that time and inipon ko pang guitar lessons and since pinagbawal ang guitars sa bahay (at may banta pa na babasagin kapag naguwi ako, walang means to practice) then i met someone who plays in a band na nagoffer na turuan ako yun pala iba ang agenda!  ::) dinaan sa guitar lessons kasi alam na i'm interested. so ang ending wala din akong natutunan.

i have a 5 year old daughter who loves music. i want her to learn any instrument she likes to learn and hindi ko ipagbabawal yun like what i experienced while growing up. i haven't given up this dream :) but feeling ko kasi i'm old na to learn and mas wala ng time kasi may family na. isa pang dream ko drums hehe sana pwede pa  :)

any tips on how i should start again?  :) kakayanin ko ba ito kung on my own lang at hindi na magtake ng lessons ulit?
Keep Moving Forward!

- Walt Dsiney

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2013, 05:30:10 pm »
i can feel you sis. my parents were never 100% supportive. they were only the give-the-dog-a-bone-to shut-up type. even now ganun pa din.

however i can understand to some extent why they were like that. nakakaaddict ang pag gigitara. i've had quite a few friends whose lives went down south because they threw everything into playing the guitar and having bands.

tumigil ako mag guitar after high school. so i had to start again almost 9 years later.

I started the guitar when i was 13. i took classical music lessons but when my teacher didn't want to teach me rock and roll, I left.
marunong ako mag sight read noon. in fact, pang practice ko ang tablature. i get the tabs, and i'll cover up the fret representations of the notes so i could read the notes alone.

I think it will be easier for you to start again dahil ang daming sources of information ngayon. in fact a lot of kids learn through youtube.

pag dating sa rock and roll noon, i was self taught. i bought books, magazines, plus those photocopied instructional books/booklets sa sta. mesa.

when i started playing again, i went back to my old stuff (above). kakainggit nga mga bata ngayon kasi ang dami talaga info sa net. and i took advantage of this new development in 2010-2011 - i took paid online lessons from a professional rock and roll / session musician in the US via skype. natigil lang dahil i had to work in another country. but im itching to have a go at it again.

from these lessons, nakita ko mga mali ko and bad habits. there's a right way to do certain things, na pag self taught ka, hindi mo makikita, magagawa and will bite you in the end and hinder progress. but i'm not against self studying.

for the mean time, imho lang, start with learning the basics again. tuning the guitar. then chords.
mag chords ka muna sis. kasi lahat ng advanced stuff, chords pa din papasok. learn how to play a song, tapusin (buohin) mo yung kanta ha sis. nandyan na ang chord changes. then go into broken chords. plucking, soloing, picking will soon come later and sa chords pa din mahuhulog sila.

if you know someone na marunong, magaling and schooled, consult him/her from time to time. to clarify what you've read/researched.

it's never too late but ang pace natin ay hindi na tulad nung bata tayo kasi we have responsibilities etc...

use the internet. =)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:42:28 pm by akthung »

seven82

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2013, 01:36:18 pm »
sa akin kasi totally against sila. patago ako naglessons. yung guitar ko, sa bahay pa ng friend nakikitulog  :) and looking back wala akong maaalala na kabatch na nahilig sa guitar, kaya wala din akong kausap about it. sa ibang planeta ata ako nung mga panahon na yun  ;D

it's never too late but ang pace natin ay hindi na tulad nung bata tayo kasi we have responsibilities etc...

Exactly!  :D

i need to buy a new guitar. kasi yung old one ko e napabayaan na ng husto. :( may mga humiram na hindi naalagaan and since border lang yung guitar ko dati malamang madami na din gumamit ng walang pahintulot hehe may mga song hits pa nga akong naitabi.

ano ang easiest song for starters/beginners . naalala ko pa leaving on a jet plane. umabot pa ako sa plucking pero kalawang na malamang. yes! will definitely abuse the internet

thank you bro! nabuhayan ako ulit ng loob  :)
Keep Moving Forward!

- Walt Dsiney

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2013, 03:09:57 pm »
si telekikay kaya ano maibibigay na advice?

remnants kami ng old guitar thread. hehe

re: borrowing guitars, medyo hindi sang ayon ako doon. in general. 

dati when i started out, i asked friends to teach me. it was the 2nd coming of rock and roll. (early 90s).
and all of the the popular songs on the radio then can be found in the song hits booklets.

so i'd skim and look for songs that i like and choose the one with the simplest progressions.

sometimes i'd write the progressions down on a piece of paper and just focus on changing chords. the change had to be seamless before i'd move on to another song. maybe you can do this. mas motivating if its a song you really like. imho.

sometimes i didn't care what song it was and i'd just get the progression for practice's sake.  ngayon panahon, kung hindi mo alam yung song, search sa youtube, and almost always meron. but back then di ba, kung hindi sikat, hahanapin mo. sa friends or sa store. kung hindi mabenta then, pabili sa US. this is if you really want to have a copy. i got hooked with Jimi Hendrix at 13 years old. I bought the Are you Experienced album in San Francisco kasi wala sa Pinas.

i however took broken chords as a challenge. i was highly motivated noon. so it didn't take me much time to get to know them.

as for a beginners guitar, I am currently geared towards starting with a cheap electric guitar. why?

you will not have a problem with string tension. strings are easier to play or even bend with the electric guitar. if you can't handle .009 strings, then you can opt for the thinnest .008.

the guitar is such a beautiful instrument. problem lang kasi, when you start with a steel stringed acoustic guitar. natuturn off ang beginner sa tigas ng strings at sa kapal. hindi na nila narerealize yung ganda ng pagplaplay.

imho, once ma inlove ang beginner sa electric guitar at gusto niya mag acoustic - no one can stop him from getting one. at pagtyatyagaan niya magdevelop ng daliri to play acoustic. alam na niya kasi ang value. na developed na.

as for classical guitars, if you're not playing classical music, you'll never appreciate the guitar fully imho. i started this way kaya i know. to make 1, 1 1/2, 2 step bends was nearly impossible. depende sa ganda ng gitara pero minsan nasa edge na ang string, hindi pa din lumalabas ang full na tunog ng bend. minsan naman, hindi mo marinig ang 1/2 step bend or even 1/4 bend. sa electric guitar, ma aapreciate ng tao yung bends. but sa magandang gitara, labas na labas naman ang mga bends na to kahit 1/4 bend pa yan.

so kung ako ang tatanungin, or if i have a kid, i'll have him start with a beginner electric guitar package.

i wouldn't mind if its good or not. kasi hindi ko alam kung maririnig niya yung difference. now, pag nadevelop na ang tenga niya, at may mga naririnig na siya.  that's the time na pwedeng bumili ng maganda. i believe in the long run, it is cheaper this way. finding a good guitar is a lifetime process...

another way to develop this is to visit friends with good gear. ask if you can try them out in front of them.

btw, i can recommend you to a friend who works in one of the music store chains in Manila. he can help you find a bang for the buck (your budget) guitar.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 03:15:12 pm by akthung »

seven82

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2013, 09:19:11 pm »
yes, lesson learned na regarding borrowing guitars.

good point - starting with electric guitar instead of acoustic. never pa ako nakahawak ng electric guitar.. kahit once. even before when i was scouting for one. i have this thought na pang experts lang ang electric guitar  ;D weird. pero i feel intimidated haha

question, kapag electric guitar i need to have an amp pa diba? hindi pwdeng wala? (don't laugh  :-[
) ang kilala ko lang kasi acoustic.

wow, thanks.  :) sige, pls let me know where i can find your friend.
Keep Moving Forward!

- Walt Dsiney

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2013, 09:37:19 pm »
sis may mga starter packs naman ang electric guitars. amp and guitar magkasama na.

but you're always free to buy something far better than a starter pack.  its all up to you.

as long as your happy.

i had a rich batch mate once who bought the best bass guitar he could. still good. happy siya.

ako i started with a classical guitar then jumped to an US made Fender Strat and Gibson Les Paul. but if i could start over again, i would do things differently... sa akin lang naman.

modern electric guitars have friendlier necks (easier to grip etc). over all playability is good. so nothing to fear.

tutunog pa din ang electric guitars sis. we call it the "acoustic sound" of the electric guitar. mahinang mahina lang siya. and you may not appreciate (sound wise) that much an ordinary electric guitar's acoustic sound when its unplugged. but at least tunog gitara din. isang basehan ng magandang gitara is etong acoustic sound. if an electric guitar has a good acoustic sound, na akala mo eh, magandang acoustic guitar, you're halfway there!

sometimes i play the electric guitar without an amp. at least hindi ako ako "maingay". kumbaga sis, ikaw lang ang makaka enjoy.

i'll pm you my friend's contact details.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:41:35 pm by akthung »

telekikay

• Mister Mojo Rising Is A
  • GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Day destroys the night, Light divides the day...
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2013, 12:42:05 am »
up natin to lolz!

re: borrowing guitars, ok lang kung ikaw ang hihiram. ang masama kasi, madami sa nanghihiram hindi alam yun value/cost nung guitar. karamihan sa mga nagigitara, iniisip nila na sa sta mesa madaming ganun kaya ok lang masira lolz! kaya kung gawa sa japan o sa US yun gitara mo tapos binabalandra lang kung saan saan...argh!!!  >:(

i agree with akthung.  try saving ang get a starter pack, from there, you can decide whether you will pursue it or not. at least, hindi mabigat sa bulsa kung ayaw mo na.  kasi pag bumili ka ng pipitsugin, hindi mo ma-a-appreciate. nakaka inspire kasi kung maganda yun tunog.

pero siguro, isipin mo muna if you want to play electric or acoustic.  IMO, if you want to play electric, get an electric guitar or vice versa.  you can strum in both guitars but never they will produce the same sound. 
"Smoking helps you lose weight -- one lung at a time!"

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2014, 05:54:40 pm »
Telekikay,

bagong chismis. nakabili ako ng early Fender Custom Shop Telecaster. as in early na early sobrang makahoy parang magandang 70s na fender. Tele na tele ang tunog parang 50s.

at may nalampaso naman na $5,400 2013 na Fender CS 62 RI.  ;D ;D ;D

tomatostellar

• Super GirlTalker
  • something infinitely interesting
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2014, 07:50:54 pm »
pwedeng pa-subscribe, I don't play, but bf does, gusto ko lang mabasa pinaguusapan nyo para medyo relate/may idea ako pag nagkwento si bf about it
http://stellarchild.blogspot.com/
"If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don't write, because our culture has no use for it."
~Anais Nin

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2014, 07:56:17 pm »
sure join in,

kaso hindi ko alam kelan mag rereply si Telekikay. it takes weeks or months. hahaha

UPDATE Oct 27, 2015

I think i finally have my dream guitar. LOL
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 06:32:25 am by akthung »

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2015, 06:33:09 am »
any sisses into guitar playing?

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close