Author Topic: Doomsday Preppers  (Read 19052 times)

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
Re: Doomsday Preppers
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 10:33:23 am »
maybe the idea of a doomsday scenario is a fantasy for many

but people have learned to embrace the concept in a much more practical way such as surviving disasters and accidents.

also some have gone into living semi-off grid and by doing so, they have lowered their monthly expenses.

i also know of people who embrace the self reliance of preparedness and they've actually included their children. why? because they dont want their children to grow spoiled and weak; children that are technological dependent (thus they can't relate to people)....  there are many things that we can learn...the world doesn't necessarily have to end
I'm a baby Arhat. An Arhat has a well developed intuition, advanced mental powers, highly refined emotions and a strong desire to contribute personally to the uplifting of humanity.

rheinfall18

• living♀..laughing♫..loving..♥
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • God's in His heaven, all is right with the world
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 01:10:43 pm »
i'm not afraid to die, i'm not prepared for it either. but if you still have at least one reason to live, why can't you? this is not a choice, but it is being given a chance to live. what will you do if it's the latter? :)
"Be mentally stronger than what you physically/emotionally feel."

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2016, 05:26:45 pm »
when i started this thread i was hoping to meet fellow GTs who are into at least some level of preparedness, and hopefully share with each other techniques and knowledge.

i did not intend for this to be a philosophy thread.

its not a "do you believe in preparedness?" thread.

in this thread its either yes you do some preparedness, or not.

its not about being afraid to die or its not about we're all gonna die eventually.

we have a member here in GT who is effin awesome in gardening that she can live on her own and maybe put up a high end organic restaurant because she's simply that awesome of a cook.

its people like that that i like to see here. people who can give advice and share knowledge.

if you can plant in your backyard, and live off the fruits, then you can rely far less on groceries, live healthier and enjoy life. on one hand it can be helpful for a person who's into preparedness, but even if you are not into preparedness, there so much to learn from them. don't you want to save money and yet be healthy? maybe spend or invest the money on something else?

there's so much practical knowledge  to learn....

I'm a baby Arhat. An Arhat has a well developed intuition, advanced mental powers, highly refined emotions and a strong desire to contribute personally to the uplifting of humanity.

kvan

• Introvert, Demisexual
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Accidental Cougar
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2016, 07:18:52 pm »
^Doomsday kasi ang sabi eh. Natural disaster is not really doomsday in my book. Doomsday is when the earth is going to be destroyed and every single one of us will eventually die. Even in the Bible, it says the earth will be destroyed and there will be new Earth. So, any prepping done is going to waste anyway. My signature says "Do not worry about tomorrow...
"Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own" ---Matthew 6:34

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2016, 06:03:58 pm »
Pero ano ba tinanong ko? Ano preps ninyo di ba? Hindi ano pilosopiya niyo. At ang sabi ko any kind of prepper is fine. Ano ba ibig sabihin ng any kind of prepper?

sis kung wala kang maishare, dont comment.

Matagal na ako sa GT, hindi porket mababa post count ko ay bago kuno ako.  May i remind you, dito we respect peoples trip yung mga christians nasa christian thread, yung mga mahilig mag hula multo, may kanyang thread, pero pansinin niyo walang nagcrocross. Walang nang gugulo. If you are one of those bible etc people, stick to your thread and learn to respect people. Learn how gt operates. Madami ganyan noon sa gt but theyve learned their place. Learn yours too.

Kung hindi ka naniniwala sa anuman, wag ka mag post.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 06:10:58 pm by akthung »

kvan

• Introvert, Demisexual
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Accidental Cougar
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2016, 11:00:28 pm »
^Wow, galit agad? I don't look on post counts so I don't care who are new and who are not....LOL! Nagbintang agad.

I typed quite a bit of response but I deleted it. Waste of time.
"Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own" ---Matthew 6:34

ysuran

• GirlTalker
  • GuyTalker
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2016, 03:25:02 pm »
From everyday carry to GO Bag/ BOB or bug-out-bag.. Dapat consider natin na prepared tayo at least kung may emergency/disaster.. We have the essential tools and equip with the right knowledge how to use these tools.

Sa everyday carry ko di mawawala utility knife, pocket multi-tool, flashlight, at cellphone. yan siguro basic for my daily grind office-work or within the metro travel.

Sa bahay naman, di mawawala yung emergency kit di ko na masyado i-elaborate pero the usual makikita sa fist-aid kit plus lightstick, utility knife, flashlight, thermal blanket and whistle.

Yung BOB, ginagawa pa lang  ;D at mas maganda siguro kung yun bob eh tig-isa bawat family member.  :)

i did not intend for this to be a philosophy thread.

its not a "do you believe in preparedness?" thread.

there's so much practical knowledge  to learn....

I believe the purpose of this thread is to share knowledge of like-minded people or those who share the same interest with regards to doomsday -this should not always literally translate to the end of the world.

The term "Doomsday Preppers" are commonly used all over the web and/or other social sites like facebooks as a term for individuals or groups that practices Emergency/Disaster Preparedness. be it natural (Calamities), industry-related (Power Outage, Other Tech related)  man-made (Crimes, War, Etc.).

Sa ibang thread na lang siguro ilagay ang discussion ng idea/belief/theory regarding "Doomsday / End of the World"

Dito sa thread yung application sa emergency/disaster survival. :)

So please, avoid na po natin ng arguments.. We share knowledge of how to be a doomsday prepper, what are the equipments needed, what to do before,during and after "sh*t hits the fan". :)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 04:05:11 pm by ysuran »
Lalaki po ako.. :)

yhen88

• GirlTalker
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 04:48:27 pm »
Doomsday Preppers:

Pack a bug out bag.
1. A set of clothes.
2. Food and food preparation(Meals Ready to Eat) or other non-perishable food items like protein bars, peanut butter, or canned vegetables.
3. Water. Include a collapsible water canteen, water filter, and at least three days worth of water. This should be about 3 liters.
4. Portable shelter. This could be a simple sleeping bag, a bed roll, or a blanket.
5. First aid and/or medical kit. Pack medications that you know you will need for a pre-existing medical condition.Pack other essentials like bandages, antiseptics, and gauze.

Siguro lastly, Plan a escape route. Kung pwede pa. Depende.
No matter how hard the past, you can begin again.

ysuran

• GirlTalker
  • GuyTalker
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 08:09:45 am »
Nga pala, paracords are one of the essentials too.. you'll never know when you need it. dami na nagkalat ngayon na paracord bracelet, though karamihan ng mga tinitinda is mga fake paracords, pero may mga credible sellers naman na nagcarry ng authentic paracord 550..

Mosly, magkaka konek naman ang mga products about preppers, bushcraft, tactical gears, outdoor/trekking.. :)

minabey

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2016, 04:31:00 pm »
Napadaan lang po. My hubby was telling me one time na wala sya mahanap ng FB group ng mga local preppers to learn something about what other people do. May nakita sya kaso bentahan.

I digress... What preparations? None. We're all going to die anyway at some point hehe).
These rainy past few days made me think we should start making one. He has a collection of flashlights and small knives but they're all over the house. We do have water purifying tablets though. I guess the easiest step for me is to complete the first aid stuff first and organize what we have on hand then go from there.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:34:18 pm by minabey »

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2016, 05:34:56 pm »
Napadaan lang po. My hubby was telling me one time na wala sya mahanap ng FB group ng mga local preppers to learn something about what other people do. May nakita sya kaso bentahan.

sis meron sa FB baka secret lang ang status ng group. however i have added some of the girls here already sa group na yun.

prepping is does not guarantee you 100% survival. this is a common understanding amongst preppers. Prepping however increases you chances. on the other hand, prepping has many day to day benefits.

many of my friends, including me, grow our own food. this way you get to save money. some are already reliant on solar energy.  some were able to face small floods easily as they knew already what to do and what to avoid. basically maraming transferable benefits sa normal life.

also there are many level of preppers. may mga prepper na nakafocus lang sa practical side of life ie emergencies and disasters and not necessarily yung mga doomsday scenario.

ysuran

• GirlTalker
  • GuyTalker
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2016, 04:19:42 pm »
Anong group yan akthung? kung nahihirapan kayo maghanap ng prepper group sa fb, you can also search related terms such as Everyday Carry Groups, Weapon Groups (Guns, Knives, etc.), Outdoor/Mountaineering Groups, and Flashlight Groups. Most of the member dyan ay prepper din.. :)

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2016, 07:23:38 pm »
Anong group yan akthung? kung nahihirapan kayo maghanap ng prepper group sa fb, you can also search related terms such as Everyday Carry Groups, Weapon Groups (Guns, Knives, etc.), Outdoor/Mountaineering Groups, and Flashlight Groups. Most of the member dyan ay prepper din.. :)

hirap kasi nagiging fad na eto. once something becomes mainstream expect many stupendous people to jump in. kaya we've made the groups secret. many of us have been in preparedness side of things since the pre maglite, pre xenon bulb, days.... meaning we made do when there were no such products that time. ngayon may bladder na at kung ano anong water bottles. water bottle noon ay bote ng coke. bladder naman was the largest glad ziplock bag. the oldies were even using blast belts before they came out in the 6-10 years ago. lahat yan puro hand made, kaya maraming lumang preppers magaling manahe.

noon swiss knife lang pinaka uso, walang kung ano anong folder. i doubt people now can open a coconut with a swiss knife. it takes skill. then there were those before us...people from the 70s who are now living completely off grid and making money out of their living.

yung go bag na yan, that's a military thing. but now you have so called experts who know more than a real military man. LOL

bigyan kita example. ex-special forces from a first world country happened to be a member because he was close to us. the difference between a local SF soldier and a SF soldier from a first world country (that is a global power) is that the local SF soldier is tailor trained for the jungle (not even urban). They are not trained in desert survival, high altitude survival, cold weather survival. eh yung prepper kuno na nakakausap niya minsan ang yabang eh. hindi na nga trained sa best schools ng survival around the world, walang experience sa bakbakan, walang real experience sa survival (ie middle east, africa, bosnia or east timor) ang lakas pa makasalita. lol kausap mo sa fb, halatang google ang nasa kabilang window....pa nabigyan mo ng wala sa internet ...hindi na makahirit.

so in order to protect the integrity of the group. the oldies deemed it best to make their group + related groups a secret group (some are just closed groups).

who knows how many posers there are out there. madami basta madami. meron pang nagtuturo ng survival, 1500, mali mali naman. puro youtube.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 11:28:52 pm by akthung »

etxetera

• Proud to be
  • Super GirlTalker
  • At home ako dito
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2016, 08:20:40 am »
More than doomsday parang mas nalalapit ang The Big One *knock on wood* ang tagal na ng last earthquake hinog na hinog na ang faultline kaya katakot. There is nothing wrong being prepared than not being prepared at all pero at the end of the day I still believed pag oras mo na oras mo.
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
~ Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. ~
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

ysuran

• GirlTalker
  • GuyTalker
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2016, 10:29:58 am »
I support your stand akthung, I cannot agree more with what you posted, regarding those armchair generals / keyboard warriors, with overflowing confidence and ego na akala mo eh from birth eh prepper na with extensive experience of survival and prepping. Instead of helping others share what they know (or experience of what they claim to be), they brag about it. That's just sad. I understand why the people in your group made it in secret privacy setting in fb.

Makikita mo naman sa members ng prepper groups, kasi those people who genuinely knows tend to talk less or at least share their experience and knowledge in the most humble way possible and you will feel na they're purpose talaga to help fellow members instead of bragging.

Anyway, dahil na rin sa kakaunti ng nagooffer ng basic prepping/survival course per se, dito satin sa pinas, may mga alternative trainings at seminars tayo na pwede salihan, hanapin nyo lang sa facebook mga companies, foundations or outdoor enthusiasts na nagooffer ng outdoor and/or jungle survival training, meron somewhere in zambales yung venue. Actually yung mga mountaineering groups at course ay may halong prepping na din.

Pagdating naman sa equipment, tama si akthung. Isa sa mga kailangan sa pagiging prepper ay ang resourcefulness, kung ano available na gamit, make the most out of it. hindi kailangan mahal or branded or imported, yung simpleng coke bottle na sabi ni akthung, ay malayo na mararating nyan.

Hindi ko masasabi na prepper ako, dahil kulang kulang din naman ang mga gamit at kaalaman ko pagdating dito. At duon pumapasok yun mga forums at groups para makapagpalitan at magtulungan sa kaalaman at hindi magpataasan ng ihi. Thank you sa share akthung!

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2016, 06:42:36 pm »

Makikita mo naman sa members ng prepper groups, kasi those people who genuinely knows tend to talk less or at least share their experience and knowledge in the most humble way possible and you will feel na they're purpose talaga to help fellow members instead of bragging.

Maraming imposters kasi. kaya ang dami nag aaway sa forums. meron nga former prof ng isang university, naniningil 1500 pero mali mali. hindi integrated.

then there are those who love "Gucci" items na parang yun lang ang solution sa problema...

yung friend ko nga willing mag turo for GT wala naman ata may gusto. okay lang. sa subic ang venue. overnight. doctor pa yun and isa sa pioneers ng tactical/battlefield medicine.

mayaman man or mahirap actually nahihirapan sa dami ng items. lalo na kung ang items ngayon ay parang smartphone na kada 1-2 years nagbabago ng design.

kaya many keep it simple. meron pabili bili ng 15k or 30k na folding knife, pano pag nahulog yun? or pano kung wala nang law and order tulad sa yolanda...baka mapokpok ka ng kahoy sa ulo dahil lang sa knife mo.

you can use your 15k to buy simple but reliable knives and spread them out on different locations, or you can use your 30k+  to buy a good pistol or other more important items

the more you know the less you need to carry.

ysuran

• GirlTalker
  • GuyTalker
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2016, 07:01:21 pm »

the more you know the less you need to carry.

Wala ng tatalo pa dito sa statement na to, dahil pagdating sa disaster/emergency you yourself will be your own ultimate tool.

Di kailangan mahal ang gamit, basta reliable. Katulad na lang ng mga locally produced blades natin, high quality yan pero maasahan mo, pambaragan ika nga.

For starters siguro lalo na sa mga girls dito maganda na sumali sa mga outdoor trainings and seminars, it will help a lot.

:)

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2016, 07:44:41 pm »
kung taga cebu or near cebu. it would be best to join camp red. yan ang isa sa pinakamatindi sa bushcraft sa Pilipinas.

you could use Bushcraft in a survival scenario as it teaches you to live off the land. and marami silang members part ng rescue teams, ham radio fire protection etc.

ysuran

• GirlTalker
  • GuyTalker
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2016, 11:41:08 am »
i'll take note of that akthung. sa manila may alam ka bang group na nagooffer ng quality training for bushcraft and other prepping stuffs?

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2016, 02:53:36 pm »
Sis karamihan lumalabas ng manila to learn. Subic is the common training ground kasi friendly environment, bantay pa ng aeta. Walang rebelde. May tubig pa.

yung search and rescue maganda yung group ni Dr Ted Esguerra, WISAR

Si Ryu yung pinoy na nalalo sa history channel umuwi siya ng pinas a few months ago. Many preppers spent quality time with him and he taught them the finer points on blade making.

si Doc Arvin open mag train yun but subic ang venue.

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close