To understand hair thinning, you first have to know how your hair normally grows. About 90 percent of the hair on your scalp is in a growing phase for about two to six years, while the remaining 10 percent is in a resting phase for about two to three months. At the end of this resting stage, the hair naturally sheds, and new hair starts growing in its place, and the growth phase begins again. So as far as normal hair shedding goes, it is not unusual to shed 50 to 100 strands a day.

There are many reasons for excessive hair thinning. Finding the cause may help you correct the problem or determine whether it will respond to medical treatment. A dermatologist who specializes in hair and skin can determine this. Read on and find out what conditions or issues can cause excessive hair loss in women.

Read this other articles for more health tips:

(First published in Good Housekeeping Magazine, You Asked Us section as "Health Check" in March 2004; adapted for use in Female Network)

For updates on our newest features and ever-popular stories, add us on Facebook and Twitter
Recommended Videos
Get the latest updates from Female Network
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Trending on Network

Latest Stories

HMO vs. Health Insurance: Which One Do You Need?

Protect your savings and, of course, yourself and your family.

Reasons Change Can Be Good For You

For one, you grow when you’re pushed out of your comfort zone.
Load More Stories