After 27 years in show business, Regine Velasquez has definitely earned the right to take it easy. When she had to cut short her much-awaited concert last November because she was suffering from a virus that left her unable to sing, this diva has found out the hard way that, like a phoenix, it’s only through first dying that you can truly be reborn.
“It was very, very humbling,” she narrated in the May 2013 issue of Good Housekeeping. “But tama lang na mawalan ako ng boses that day… may purpose kung bakit nangyari 'yun (But it was only right for me to lose my voice that day… that happened for a purpose.).”
“I totally forgot the reason why I was doing the anniversary, which was to celebrate and also to show people that I’m grateful that I’m still here and to give thanks to the Lord. I forgot all that. 'Yung nasa isip ko (I was thinking), ‘I’ll show them.’ So there, He showed me,” she said about what she learned from the experience.
Read on for five more life lessons from Asia’s one and only songbird.
1. “Always be grateful for what you have. Minsan ang hirap to be grateful kapag feeling mo entitled ka (Sometimes it’s difficult to be grateful when you already feel entitled.).”
2. “There’s no such thing as a perfect mom. Hindi naman lumalabas [ang mga bata] na may kasamang manual (Kids don’t come with a manual.).”
3. “I learned from my husband that sometimes it’s okay to be angry. Kasi if you keep holding it in, one day it’s just blow up. But… choose your battles.”
4. “It’s always good to have friends, especially if you’re married na. They keep you sane.”
5. “Share your talents, your experiences, [and] your knowledge about what you do. Hindi parang secret recipe mo lang (Don’t treat it like your own secret recipe [for success]).”
Know more about Regine Velasquez by grabbing a copy of the May 2013 issue of Good Housekeeping, out on stands now! You can also subscribe to the magazine’s digital edition.
Also in this issue:
31 Days to Happy
15 Women We Love
Secrets to a Stronger Marriage
(Photo by Sara Black)
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
CONTINUE READING BELOW
Trending on Network