Pets are a great addition to any family. They can be a source of joy and comfort, and they can be unbelievably loyal to you if you show them love. Deciding to take home an animal companion is a big decision to make, so before you visit your local shelter or pet store, ask yourself these questions:
- Do I have the appropriate living space for a pet?
- Will I be able to provide it with necessities such as food and water?
- Am I willing to spend for medications and procedures should it become ill?
- Will there be somebody to care for it when I’m out of town?
- Am I willing to commit myself to caring for my pet throughout its life?
If you answered a sure yes to these, then it means that you are ready to face the physical and emotional demands of owning a pet.
Now you need to choose the right pet for you. Factors such as floor space, budget, and lifestyle should be taken into account. Cats and dogs may be popular, but there are other animals that can make your home extra warm and cozy. To help you out, we’ve come up with a list of creatures for you to consider, all of which are smaller than the average cat or dog, and some of which require a bit less maintenance.
In case you end up deciding on a dog or cat after all, read these articles:
(Photo by Lisandra Barros Mendonça via sxc.hu)