In this day and age, it’s not unnatural for a girl to travel alone
. In fact, it’s a sign of confidence and independence. Still, planning a trip by yourself
is a daunting task that requires a lot of smarts and research. Here, FN gives you some suggestions to make your solo flight an easy and pleasant experience.
- Get a guidebook and study it well. Plan your itinerary and check out the recommendations.
- Blend in with the natives by learning the language. Before you go to your destination, enroll in a simple class or invest in some audio language tutors on disc.
- Since you’re alone, avoid overpacking. More luggage means more stuff for you to carry and the possibility of going over the free baggage allowance.
- Take a self-defense class and steer clear of dangerous territory.
- Beware of the boys. Each country has different codes for socialization. Follow your instincts to avoid falling victim to theft and other more serious crimes.
- Dress to fit in. Follow your destination’s dress code and don’t draw attention to yourself.
- Talk to strangers. But in this case, we mean female solo travelers like yourself.
- Relish the freedom. Be the independent woman you’ve always wanted to be—and are.
Read Stephanie Castillo’s article, “The Single Girl’s Guide to Traveling Alone
,” for more details.(Photo source: sxc.hu)