Author Topic: Milk of Magnesia -> is this effective?  (Read 28779 times)

_ilovepink_

• GirlTalker
  • First time mom.
Milk of Magnesia -> is this effective?
« on: May 13, 2010, 09:08:03 am »
Hi!

I have read several reviews regarding milk of magnesia as a really good primer for oily skin...

I'm so curious about this 'cause sobrang oily kc skin ko...like after  4 hrs, super shiny and uber oily na skin ko to the point na hindi na ako nagreretouch, I just wash my face again and apply another set of makeup...

Anyone has tried this remedy????

papost naman ng outcome or any feedback...  natetempt na ako  to try this eh... tia~!   ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 03:44:38 am by _ilovepink_ »
Happily married and a first time mom. :)

_ilovepink_

• GirlTalker
  • First time mom.
Re: Milk of Magnesia for Oily Skin as Primer...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 03:26:56 am »
viewed vlogs from youtube... it's so effective daw....

local brand sa atin MAALOX >>>> nabasa ko lang.,..

;)

pink_stardust

• Jed's one and only :)
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • she's all that =)
Re: Milk of Magnesia -> is this effective?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 07:39:47 am »
akala ko ginagawa lang tong mask, tipong once a week na treatment. pwede pala as primer mismo?

pero may nabasa ako (or napanood sa youtube? i can't remember), na for very oily skin lang talaga dapat. kasi kung normal-oily lang, baka daw magdry yung skin. yung skin daw kasi niya super duper oily, tas nabawasan drastically nung gumamit sya ng milk of magnesia.

anyone here na nakatry nang gumamit ng milk of magnesia everyday kahit di super oily ang skin?

anyway, kung gagawin syang primer, okay kaya for everyday use?
It is very difficult to go back and make a brand new start.

But you can always start from now and make a brand new ending.

lordknight_aiz.18

• I Could Not Ask For More..
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Love God Above All
    • Skin Classics
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 09:18:23 am »
this is the right thread for my queris pala.

is maalox in tablet form of liquid form?
Luke 12:15
"...even when a person has an abundance, his life does not result from the things he possesses.”

http://sophiemart

miss_dibly

• Boop Boop A Doop!
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • Stop bitchin' Start lovin'!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 09:21:37 am »
This is from the web:

FIY: Milk of Magnesia for Oily Skin

Originally appointed by doctors to relieve constipation and other gastro-intestinal issues, many experts are now recommending Milk of Magnesia for oily skin care. Usually sold now in tablet form, the original white milky liquid version is still available, and this is perfect to apply to your skin the next time you find your oil glands overdoing it.

Since it is usually only sold in a large quantity, you can have a long term solution at a small cost, dividing up a portion of the milk into a smaller container and storing it somewhere convenient until you need more. Using just a thin layer, apply the milk of magnesia all over the face with a cotton ball. You will find the consistency greatly resembles calamine lotion, meaning that just a small amount goes an impressively long way.

Using this product on your skin is usually recommended immediately after washing the face. Cleanse your skin as usual and then pat dry with a towel. Using a product specially designed for oily skin will help reduce oily skin further. After your face is completely dried and you have applied the Milk of Magnesia to your skin, allow it to dry and then apply your regular makeup on top of it.

Pressed powder is not recommended for oily skin, as it does not give your face a chance to breathe. Try a loose powder on top of the Milk of Magnesia and foundation instead, as your skin will feel smoother and dryer than what is otherwise typical for your skin type.

In fact, many use the Milk of Magnesia as a primer for the sole purpose of having a smoother canvas to apply makeup on. Its oil-blotting properties regularly amaze those who have tried everything else, and those who experience slight increase in oil production during the summer months keep it on hand for those seasonal outbreaks and other skincare issues.

Milk of Magnesia reigns supreme in the makeup books of brides and others who are looking for a way to keep their makeup going strong all day. Causing products to “cling” to the skin, it has helped women look flawless in photos and ensured they never have to worry about touching up their otherwise oily and difficult skin.

Side Effects
Those who are not considered official members of the grease game have had issues with dryness and tightness when using Milk of Magnesia. This is truly meant for those who experience genuine problems with oily skin. If you have combination skin or oily skin only very occasionally, Milk of Magnesia can be too harsh, causing irritation and flakiness. If you want to use Milk of Magnesia on combination skin, apply only in areas truly affected by oil. Milk of Magnesia may also tighten your pores, which could end up being another issue for those who don't have any issues with them to begin with. You could easily clog up your skin if you are using something so powerful when you don't really need it.

Others have accused the product of giving them a “chalky” or whitish film on their face. This is usually a result of applying too much of the milk to the skin. Remember to use very sparingly, and if for whatever reason this still occurs, consider an alternative form of treatment for your oily skin.
--THE MORE YOU KNOW, THE MORE YOU'LL REALIZE HOW LESS YOU KNOW.--

michipoo

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 11:19:27 am »
I remeber i tried it before kasi matagal na tong may raves dito sa gt, kaya lang ang chalky niya kapag nagdry na, maalox din gamit ko dati. Sana kung meron na pure mom na available dito baka mas okay yun :)

miss_dibly

• Boop Boop A Doop!
  • Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 11:27:38 am »
After googling, I landed on a forum which talks about MOM..
The dilemma about MOM goes like this..

"A couple of months ago I developed these huge, horrible ugly cysts on the side of my nose and chin. This was right around Thanksgiving and because of this, I didn't want my picture to be taken   

Since I haven't gotten one of these in years, I quit using the finishing powder from EM because I thought the cornstarch was the culprit. At the same time, I also stopped applying Milk of Magnesia as a mattifier and resigned myself to having a shiny face until I discovered the wonders of silk dust! These cysts were so bad that I still have a scar on my chin - it's fading slowly (whether this is due to the drops of lavendar oil I've been applying on a daily basis or the passage of time, I do not know)

Anyhoo, I was browsing through some old threads and I wondered if the alkalinity in MOM was the true culprit - I'd never really given PH factor a second thought until now, but when you look at this scale, MOM is just one PH factor below ammonia and 2 factors greater than baking soda!! so did I damage the acid mantle on my skin?

Some pH examples:

pH 1 battery acid - (acid extreme)
pH 1.5 -2 = Gastric (stomach) acid
pH 2.5 = Cola soft drinks
pH 2 = lemon juice
pH 3 = vinegar
ph = 3.5 Orange Juice
pH 4.6-5.5 = healthy skin
pH 5.5 = rain, (pure water, when exposed to the atmosphere, will take in carbon dioxide, changing its pH)
pH 6.5 = milk
pH 6.5 – 7.4 = Healthy Saliva
pH 7 = pure distilled water - (this is Neutral pH, neither acid or
base)[/color]
pH 7.35 – 7.45 = human blood
pH 8.5 = baking soda
pH 9 = Sea Water
pH 9.0-10.0 = Hand Soap, detergents
pH 10.5 = Milk of Magnesia
pH 11.5 = household ammonia
pH 12.5 = household bleach
pH 13 = lye (sodium hydroxide, or Draino)(Alkaline or Base extreme)"

Oh well, the topic is still isn't resolved though they ended up not using MOM because of its alkalinity. They're using silk dust instead.. whatever that is.

hungrydevil

• GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 01:28:14 pm »
may liquid form ba sa maalox?

miss_dibly

• Boop Boop A Doop!
  • Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 01:35:40 pm »
may liquid form ba sa maalox?

meron.. Maalox suspension form

icecream_candy

• GirlTalker
  • Act like a lady, think like a man. :)
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 05:03:25 pm »
meron.. Maalox suspension form

How much sis?
Don't confuse my kindness for weakness. I can turn into the biggest b**** when someone crosses the line.

yang

• immortal healer in training
  • Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 05:21:42 pm »
naalala ko tuloy yun maalox sa fridge. mabigyan nga ng road test ito.
princess today,..goddess forever.

miss_dibly

• Boop Boop A Doop!
  • Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 06:50:40 pm »
^
According to MIMS website, Maalox Plus in Suspension form is worth P274.43 per 180 mL bottle whereas, Maalox Plus 355 mL is worth P410.46. I'm not sure if this is this is the recent price.

Harlequin91

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 08:43:37 pm »
I used to use Maalox as primer and it really works. My make up stays put and I don't oil up as much. My t-zone is oily but I have dry patches around my mouth (cos of toothpaste). But you have to be careful when using this because it dries WHITE. However, if you put the tiniest amount (like a drop or two) and spread it on your oily areas, it dries up clear but mattifies your skin like you won't believe! You can also use it on your whole face but i thought it was unnecessary for me.. also, I used mineral make up with this. I apply my minerals wet so the Maalox mixes with it a bit when I buff it in but it's not a problem. But too much Maalox can make it look a bit cakey. I think it's a little but like mineral make up when it comes to application, you have to get used to it, trial and error, until you find what's perfect for you :) hope that helps!

_ilovepink_

• GirlTalker
  • First time mom.
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 02:39:34 am »
^ more likely it is..went to mercury kanina to check..heheh I also want to try this eh...hehe

sana maganda sya sa skin... although I won't prefer to use it everyday..gusto ko lang talaga makita effect nya....    ;D

Fionski

• Fiona's Stuff
  • Fiona
    • ::: Fiona's Stuff :::
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 09:17:32 pm »
I used to use Maalox as primer and it really works. My make up stays put and I don't oil up as much. My t-zone is oily but I have dry patches around my mouth (cos of toothpaste). But you have to be careful when using this because it dries WHITE. However, if you put the tiniest amount (like a drop or two) and spread it on your oily areas, it dries up clear but mattifies your skin like you won't believe! You can also use it on your whole face but i thought it was unnecessary for me.. also, I used mineral make up with this. I apply my minerals wet so the Maalox mixes with it a bit when I buff it in but it's not a problem. But too much Maalox can make it look a bit cakey. I think it's a little but like mineral make up when it comes to application, you have to get used to it, trial and error, until you find what's perfect for you :) hope that helps!

I just tried Maalox Plus today. My skin is really oily but with Maalox +, the oiliness has been minimized. My skin looks dewy instead of oily.

I bought Maalox + because it has simethicone. I did a bit of research and I saw that simethicone is a mixture of dimethicone and silica gel.

Dimethicone is the active ingredient in some make up, face primers and monistat chafing gel.

_ilovepink_

• GirlTalker
  • First time mom.
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 08:06:16 pm »
me too! I have been using it na for a couple of weeks..so far no breakouts... super magaling nga sya to control oiliness... I was impressed!   :)

icecream_candy

• GirlTalker
  • Act like a lady, think like a man. :)
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 12:54:21 am »
Wow may Maalox plus pala, HOW MUCH? Does it cause break-outs? I only have the typical one. I bought the smallest. I used it once but my face got oily padin after like 2hours. :( Hm I don't know if it's the amount or maybe Dr. Jart's BB Cream dissolved(?) the Maalox that's why it has became ineffective? Hmn. :|
Don't confuse my kindness for weakness. I can turn into the biggest b**** when someone crosses the line.

Fionski

• Fiona's Stuff
  • Fiona
    • ::: Fiona's Stuff :::
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 12:10:44 am »
Wow may Maalox plus pala, HOW MUCH? Does it cause break-outs? I only have the typical one. I bought the smallest. I used it once but my face got oily padin after like 2hours. :( Hm I don't know if it's the amount or maybe Dr. Jart's BB Cream dissolved(?) the Maalox that's why it has became ineffective? Hmn. :|

Less than 300 yung 100 mL na bottle. I didn't break out so far.

TheLoveSwitch

• Probationary
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 04:18:58 pm »
saan po nakakabili ng Maalox?

ijj2k

• Happy and hardworking
  • Junior GirlTalker
  • Lovin' and livin' my life.
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 04:51:09 pm »
Try mo sis sa mga drugstores like Mercury. For sure they have it there. :)
It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages. -Friedrich Nietzsche

Latest Stories

Load More Stories
Close