we're vegetarian so madami kaming nagagawa na ulam that's a substitute to the usual ulam that has meat.
1. lumpiang shanghai - tofu (or can mix TVP), green onions, leeks, celery,grated carrots, grated singkamas. can add grated squash too.
2. fresh lumpia - carrots, sayote, singkamas (opt), green beans, toge (if frying it), kamote, celery or kinchay, leeks or puwede na garlic and onions. sauce is just soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, ngoyong (chinese 5 spice )if you want. then serve with crushed sugo peanuts on top.
3. pesto pasta with roasted veggies
pesto - store bought or homemade (like ours)- garlic, basil leaves, olive oil, salt, parmesan (opt), nuts (Cashew/pine nuts, opt). blitz everything in the blender.
grilled veggies - tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini (opt), red and green bell pepper, squash (if you want). grill lang sa stove griller or bake sa oven with olive oil, salt, pepper till cooked. Then gisa garlic, onions, leeks, celery, add the pesto and chopped grilled veggies, season. add cheese. turn off fire then toss the noodles
this is our fave pasta dish
4. kare kare w/ veggie bagoong
kare2x - puso ng saging, sitaw, eggplant, pechay cooked in peanut sauce. we buy the peanut butter.
veggie bagoong - blended/dinurog na tausi, garlic, onions, sugar, sili (opt), chopped tomatoes or tomato paste. igigisa lang ito
5. red sauce pasta - tofu (and/or TVP), garlic, onions, oregano, italian herbs or basil, tomato paste/sauce/fresh tomatoes,bell pepper, little sugar, choice of cheese. if you want pinoy pasta then omit the herbs, add more sugar and probably add banana ketchup? and vege hotdog if you have. I served the pinoy pasta version in my daughter's bday celebration in school and her classmates didn't even notice it was meatless
. can also make the tofu/tvp into "meatballs" and add grated carrots/squash/chopped celery leeks in it.
TVP means textured vegetable protein. it's made of soybeans. it comes in different forms/sizes/textures, the ones available at our market is the "giniling" type. I use it for "giniling" based dishes, and have also used it to make embotido and spanish and pinoy longganisa.
will add some more recipes next time.