Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day SUN 27 JUL 14
Give your car (and wallet) a rest and commute to work this week--it helps you get exercise too!
  • Good House Keeping
    The July issue is our Makeover Special! Be inspired by the weight-loss successes of The Biggest Loser’s Kayen Lazaro and Osie Nebreja, who entered the reality TV show simply wanting to lose weight but ended up gaining whole new (healthier!) lives.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Jumpstart your best body today with this month’s best foods special. Women’s Health shares over 100 of the best packaged foods for women, sourced from leading supermarkets, specialty stores, and delivery services.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Managing Up  (Read 1667 times)

agape

• Senior GirlTalker
Managing Up
« on: November 22, 2012, 10:18:56 AM »
GTalkers, share naman how you manage your boss? and your boss's boss?
You need this skill kasi aside from managing downwards, your subordinates/teammates.
Integrity, Ethics, Etiquette...

LikeJobs

• Career woman all the way!
    • LikeJobs
Re: Managing Up
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 08:21:36 AM »
Managing up only really works when you're dealing with your direct superior. Basically, managing up is about getting to know your boss - what makes him or her tick, how he or she likes to communicate, what his or her weakness is, etc. And then once you know these things, you can win your boss over or take steps to make sure that your boss/manager is getting his/her part of the work done. It might sound like a pain, but this gives you an advantage within the company, especially if you're after a promotion.

My personal experience with managing up was when I had a boss who clearly didn't know what she was doing with the project. She'd make one plan and discard it the next day, much to everyone's frustration. I realized that maybe she was getting overwhelmed by all the goals we had to meet and confused about what direction to take. I decided to start presenting options to my boss during meetings, and then telling her which ones I preferred. This seemed to work for her and helped give the team some direction.

agape

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 10:47:28 AM »
How do you deal, cope with a micromanager?
Integrity, Ethics, Etiquette...

geneuse

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 03:25:15 PM »
may mga manager na if saw you as a threat dahil sa galing mo sa company eh... gagawin ang lahat matanggal ka lang sa landas nya.... mas gusto ng mga superior ang mga subordinate nila na mas may magaling sya or else hanap ka na ng new boss kesa yung boss mo mawala sa sirkulasyon ng company :D

juni

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 11:12:28 AM »
This is tricky, and it's a skill na I haven't mastered yet, I still have a looooonnnggg way  to go.

It really depends on the type of person your boss is and the company you're in.  Ang sakin kasi, I try to do my best at work and be independent, and pag di ko mafigure out or unsure ako sa situation or when I see na malaki/numerous ang outcomes ng decision, I try to run it by my boss para klaro and di siya mabibigla.  I've had the pleasure of working with bosses na okay sa ganung setup, yung tipong tulungan kami, very collegial ang dating.  I've also experienced working with bosses who hate it pag nagtatanong ka and see it as a weakness, tipong incompetent or unqualified nuisance ang dating.  So tignan mo muna carefully kung anong klaseng tao ba yung boss mo, and then proceed from there.

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.