Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day THU 28 AUG 14
Traveling abroad? Ditch the heels and bring comfy shoes.
  • Good House Keeping
    Forever young Cheska Garcia-Kramer talks about her stay-gorgeous secrets, mommy bliss, and the surprising success of #TeamKramer in the August issue a.k.a. the Anti-Aging Special of Good Housekeeping!
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Build the confidence to strut in a pair of jeans with our 28-day pound-shedding, lean muscle-building workout, and learn the best cuts for your body type with our easy style guide.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Getting Fired from a Job  (Read 2126 times)

snix

• Super GirlTalker
Getting Fired from a Job
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:38:58 PM »
A friend of mine recently got fired.. It was out of the blue.. parang ng isang araw lang masaya pa kami naguusap tapos eto bigla siya tumawag na uuwi na daw siya kasi nafire daw siya.. akala ko pa joke lang pero hindi..

decided na rin naman na siya na magreresign na siya kung makahanap siya kapalit kasi hindi na rin siya masaya sa job niya.. pero i know he didn't expect this..

sa ngayon hindi ko pa alam dahilan bakit siya nadismiss sa work.. He's really very smart and talented.. outspoken din kasi yun kung ano opinion niya so i have a hunch ganun yung nangyari..

How do you console somone who got fired? What would be the best thing to do or even say? He's very close to me.. no amount of consoling words will make him feel alright.. ngayon ayaw pa daw niya magkwento and i understand so i'm giving him space.. i know how depressing the feeling is if i would ever get fired.. pinproblema din niya kasi finances dahil wala pa siya ipon..prone to depression pa naman yun kaya sobrang nagaalala kaming lahat na mga kaibigan niya..

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
Re: Getting Fired from a Job
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 07:47:50 PM »
In the US, that's done -- firing on the spot. In the Phils.., if you are on Probationary Employment or a daily worker -- puede rin.  Otherwise, you are entitled to 1 month advance notice or security of tenure. 

You just cannot fire people who are regular employees.  Kaya madalas, management makes the atmosphere untenable -- the employee resigns.   Yung iba, kulang na lang,  ipaok desk ng employee sa cr -- pag refuses to resign ( after  clipping the powers of the employee - so loses face at the work place).

How do you console --  keep him company, but do not nag him to talk about it.    And, help him get leads as to where he can apply for a job. 

snix

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:08:48 PM »
^Thanks for the reply sis. We really don't want him to be in the dumps right now so we're giving him as much space as we can but we try to check up on him every once in a while nakakakaba kasi may history of depression na yun dati..

I actually researched on grounds for dismissal of employee and I don't really see how my hardworking friend could be fired. Well, hindi pa naman namin talaga alam ang reason.

He's a contractual worker. So meron siyang one year contract dun sa company and under siya ng agency and ang alam ko magoone year na siya sa January.. sana nga nagresign na lang siya para hindi na niya naranasan yan.. 

LikeJobs

• Career woman all the way!
    • LikeJobs
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 10:11:35 AM »
Hello! Sorry to hear about your friend. :( Ano yung trabaho nya? Kung may mga kilala ka sa kanyang industry, I would suggest na ipakilala mo sya sa mga taong pwedeng magrefer sa kanya ng mga bagong jobs. Like what aquacharly said, you can also help him find jobs by giving him leads or emailing him job opportunities he might be interested in. If he's a creative guy, you can suggest that he make an online portfolio of his works. Not only will this make it easier for him to land a second job, but seeing his previous work might help boost his self-esteem. Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well.

snix

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:18:29 PM »
^he works in the hotel industry.. Yes, we are all pitching in to help him find a new job as soon as possible but for now we're letting him grieve.. He said he wanta to absorb it so we're giving him the time and space he has requested from me and our oter friends. 

I found out that he wasn't the only one who fot dismissed from his job. He has a coworker who also got fired.. Sana makahanap kaagadsiya n better job hirap pa naman makahanap work ngayon

bdayboy

• GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 12:51:13 PM »
Best if you let him grieve a bit, but not too much.  Being in that state and alone for too long will definitely not be good for him either.  Try listening to him and let him speak out what's really depressing him, it might be that all he needs is someone to understand him.  If he sulks too long, a more direct approach might be in order :)

In any case, if he comes around I may be able to help.  My sister-in-law works as a recruiting officer for Ayala hotels, I'd be happy to refer him.  I myself am looking for people, if you say he's hardworking and is teachable and is willing to learn new things then I'm definitely interested in him. 

snix

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 01:12:52 PM »
^This will be great news for my friend! :) Could you message me the details so I can forward it to him when I get to talk to him again?

evilwoman

• Super GirlTalker
    • By Nature Handmade Soaps, Carrot Health Soap, Human Heart Nature Products
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 01:38:41 PM »
^ baka pwede abusuhin natin ang kabaitan ni bdayboy. baka pwede ibigay mo na lang yung contact info ng friend mo then sila na ang bahala magcontact sa kanya. minsan kasi, sa ibang tao, sampal sa mukha pag nasa ganyang sitwasyon then magfforward ng job opportunities ang mga kaibigan. base to sa iba kong nakilala ha (na swerte namang retrenchment "lang" ang inabot..)

snix

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 11:10:30 PM »
^i know sis kukunin ko na nga lang yung cotact info sana kay bdayboy..

anyway, nakausap kona friend ko thank God tanggap na niya agad.. sa hotel industry siya bale nagreklamo daw yung guest tapos ayun kinausap na lang sila then on the spot fired na sila ng coworker niya..pero nagtataka sila bakit termination agad hindi ba dapat suspension lang muna? tsaka hindi ba dapat may warning yan at letter? yun ang pagkakaalam ko..

they will be having a meeting with the hr and i'd really like to know more about this so i can relay it to him..wala naman na siya balak daw bumalik gusto lang niya malinaw at malinis yung record niya

evilwoman

• Super GirlTalker
    • By Nature Handmade Soaps, Carrot Health Soap, Human Heart Nature Products
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 09:43:03 AM »
^ iba kasi ang sistema abroad sis. may mga countries like US na pwede ura-urada sisante ka. sa atin, mas secured ka once maging regular employee ka kasi protected ng labor code.

agape

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 10:17:10 AM »
Is it redundancy (too many of them with same position)?
Company reasons for retrenchment are usually that they changed organization structure (position/level/hierarchy due to mergers/acquisitions) and sometimes budget issues (like low priority na yung department, profit vs loss).
Integrity, Ethics, Etiquette...

snix

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 02:40:24 PM »
@sis evilwoman-sabi ko nga ireklamo kasimay laban naman pala..nabasa ko and i asked a lawyer friend regarding termination process..nay noticedaw dapat amonth prior to termination and hearing for the employee to defend himself.. pag wala daw yun pwede magbayad ng damages ang employer sa employee na tinanggal niya.. alam ko nagounra sila sa hr nila ngayon to hear their side..

@sis agape-no it's not redundancy, we're pretty sure ofthat.. they were fired dahil daw nagreklamo yung guest..saan ba ito nagfafall under?

snix

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 01:20:38 PM »
if you guys e you know have some connections to a hotel let me know so i can help y friend out

agape

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 06:34:20 PM »
Maybe consult a labor lawyer.

snowberry

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 08:13:42 PM »
They can gp tp NLRC sa Banawe, QC. Kahit contractual or probationary employee, may karapatan sa due process. Hindi pwedeng termination agad. They should have been  asked to submit an explanation regarding their offense and then there should be an admin hearing bago mag decision.

Tingnan nila employee manual nila and ask saan nag fall violation nila kung meron man.
Most policies , Kung minor offense lang ,usually verbal or written warning muna. If naulit suspension up to dismissal.Pero depende kasi sa nature ng offense i.e theft - dismissal iyan.  Ano ba complain ng customer? Parang harsh naman ang dismissal ng dahil lang sa customer complaint.

miss resilient

• ..serving God, faithfully
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 09:31:11 PM »

You just cannot fire people who are regular employees.  Kaya madalas, management makes the atmosphere untenable -- the employee resigns. 

this is right..karamihan ganito ang ginagawa >:(

agape

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 11:30:33 PM »
Is there a process when firing/terminating/ending the employment of a probationary employee?

snix

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 05:42:37 PM »
^that i don't know..on probation pa lang diba so there's a possibility of not being hired..

update on this: ang ginawa daw ng agency ay irerelocate na lang daw sila sa ibang hotel para daw maiwasab yung damages..isn't that unfair?

Again, if you guys have any connections or know someone working at hotels lemme know

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.