Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day TUE 29 JUL 14
Learn more about your country while keeping fit! Take a walking tour in Intramuros or any historical landmark near you.
  • Good House Keeping
    The July issue is our Makeover Special! Be inspired by the weight-loss successes of The Biggest Loser’s Kayen Lazaro and Osie Nebreja, who entered the reality TV show simply wanting to lose weight but ended up gaining whole new (healthier!) lives.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Jumpstart your best body today with this month’s best foods special. Women’s Health shares over 100 of the best packaged foods for women, sourced from leading supermarkets, specialty stores, and delivery services.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Filipinos who are citizens in other countries need visa to enter the Phils???  (Read 4108 times)

ayka

• independent , social butterfly & a
  • Junior GirlTalker
heard this in the news last month. apparently the government has passed a mandate that filipinos who are also citizens abroad now need to apply for a tourist visa if staying for more than 21 days in the Philippines. i have a friend na kakauwi lang ng Pinas yesterday at naharang sa immigration dahil wala daw siyang tourist visa. what's infuriating is, hindi pa naman siya citizen sa bansang pinagtatrabahuhan niya. ano ang pananaw ninyo sa bagong patakaran na ito?
IMO...sige, maiintindihan ko pa kung ipatupad ito sa mga foreigners per se. but for fellow pinoys...are you kidding me? after all the remittances you've been taking from the OFWs (na ngayon mga citizen na sa ibang bansa) mag-imbento na naman kayo ng bagong pagkakakitaan para makahuthot sa mga taong malaki ang naitutulong sa ekonomiya ng bansa? pati ba naman pagbabakasyon nila sa Pinas para makasama mga mahal nila sa buhay, dadagdagan niyo pa ng hassle? hell yeah, it's more fun in the Philippines!!!
happy girls are the prettiest girls! ♥♥♥

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
a few questions to the thread starter,

1) Does this mandate repeal the RULES AND REGULATIONS IMPLEMENTING
REPUBLIC ACT NO. 6768 INSTITUTING A BALIKBAYAN PROGRAM specifically SECTION B under RULE V which states:

For foreign passport holders with the exemption of restricted nationals who are not former Filipinos, visa-free entry to the Philippines for a maximum stay of one (1) year; extensions thereof shall be subject to such fees as may be required by the Commission on Immigration and Deportation;

Padalaw dalaw ako sa iba't ibang web page ng Phil embassy sa ibat ibang bansa. wala naman akong nakikitang amendment.

2) you said that your friend is not a citizen in the country that she works. as far as i know, if you're a not a citizen of a certain country, you are not entitled to have a passport of that country. correct me if im wrong here. And if she's not a citizen, then she would naturally have her Philippine Passport. And if ever, why didn't she use/show her Philippine Passport and Birth Certificate?

This issue is very relevant to me kasi i will soon be stopping over pinas for short time before moving to my intended destination.

This issue was raised by my travel agent in Manila 2-3 weeks ago and he said he will inquire through the proper channels and this was his reply last week.

Regarding ticket for foreign passport holder; required roundtrip ticket, in your case; per Immigration officer - NAIA terminal 1 , since dati kayong holder ng Philippine Passort no need na daw na may return ticket to (my country of residence),... but di naman sinabi na dalhin mo old Phil. Passport.

I think the real issue here is HINDI NA pwedeng pumasok ang foreigner kapag walang ROUND TRIP TICKET.

but to refuse entry to a FILIPINO born in pinas, with no legal problems etc, i think is very unreasonable.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 06:53:13 AM by akthung »
I'm a baby Arhat. An Arhat has well developed intuition, advanced mental powers, highly refined emotions and a strong desire to contribute personally to the uplifting of humanity.

jan888

• Senior GirlTalker
^sa pagkaalam ko naman ay if you're a foreign passport holder even if you're a Filipino citizen and used to be a Philippine passport holder, you would still be needing a round trip ticket.  Especially at the immigration of the country where you are departing (let's say Singapore), you will be asked by the Sg immigration officer to show the return ticket unless you show proof of dual citizenship or that you're still a Philippine passport holder. Once back in the Philippines, if you're only showing them the foreign passport, you'll be given no. of days to stay like you're a foreigner unless you have proof that you're a balikbayan, then you'll be given a 'bb' initial and no. of days to stay here depends on how long you've been away from the Philippines, that's my observation lang naman. 

I'm also interested to know the latest in Philippine passport renewal for those who are holders of foreign passport at the same time.  Does a dual citizenship status need to be declared in renewing his/her Philippine passport?

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
^ naah sis, your knowledge is incorrect. nagawa ko na yan so many times na one way ticket lang dala ko papuntang pinas. all i had to do was show the airline my birth certificate. sa immigration my word was enough to merit a "bb" stamp. sa pag purchase ng ticket, foreign passport lang. I never had to use or show my philippine passport.

tito ko nag payo ng magdala ng birth certificate. ginagawa din pala niya yun for so many years.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 02:55:41 PM by akthung »
I'm a baby Arhat. An Arhat has well developed intuition, advanced mental powers, highly refined emotions and a strong desire to contribute personally to the uplifting of humanity.

ayka

• Junior GirlTalker
i browsed through the website of the Philippine embassy in UK/London, and it says there that British passport holders (pinoys) "do not need a visa if their intended stay in the Philippines will not exceed 21 days. British passport holders availing themselves of the 21-day no visa policy should have a passport valid for at least six months beyond their intended stay in the Philippines and a plane or ship ticket valid for onward or return journey to their country of origin or next country of destination.

i have friends (Brit citizens) who said that this has already been implemented since early this year, kaya nga some of them are not going back na lang daw for vacay next year dahil hassle lang daw pag-uwi. ang dami pa daw interrogation whatsoever. that's what happened naman to my friend more than a week ago, and ang nakakainis pa nga is that he's not even a brit citizen. work visa pa lang naman ang meron siya. ano ba naman iyan?!!!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:40:04 PM by ayka »

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
I will take your story with a very big grain of salt kasi I entered Pinas December 2011 and Feb 2012. so your story, which is 2nd and 3rd hand information, does not jive with what i had personally experienced early this year. As for your friend, tama nga hinala ko na hindi siya citizen.

If ever totoo yan, hindi magtatamggal yan. Dati nag issue ng mandate ang Phil Embassy sa Australia. Lahat daw ng pinoys sa australia dapat mag pa renew ng passport sa Canberra or Sydney LANG.

At that time hindi pa kami citizen at lilipad kami pa ibang bansa in a month. so we had to FLY to Canberra, RENTed a place to stay, SPENT on food, para lang maka pag renew. pero NAGREKLAMO kami. pahirapan ba ang pinoy. very unreasonable.

in a few weeks they changed the rules. so kung totoo man lang sabi mo sis, magbabago din yan. baka naman for Brit Pinoys lang din yan. i'm trying to be Open Minded here.

pero kausap ko lang Travel Agent ko sa Manila, and they maintained their stance.

i browsed through the website of the Philippine embassy in UK/London, and it says there that British passport holders (pinoys) "do not need a visa if their intended stay in the Philippines will not exceed 21 days. British passport holders availing themselves of the 21-day no visa policy should have a passport valid for at least six months beyond their intended stay in the Philippines and a plane or ship ticket valid for onward or return journey to their country of origin or next country of destination.

It's best that you personally inquire about this from the Philippine Embassy in the UK instead of shouting out in a forum. also ask for a copy of the Amendment or the Mandate to add validity to your claim. this amendment hindi ko makita ibang website.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:49:30 AM by akthung »

ayka

• Junior GirlTalker
^My relative in London (Brit citizen) asked the Phil Embassy there last week if they need a visa going home. Uwi sila this xmas. They were told the same thing, they need it if they're going to stay for more than 21 days. Since 1 month sila sa Pinas, pina-apply agad sila ng visa. So i guess it's true then.   

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
ang masasabi ko eh magulo sila.

kasi

1) dumaan na ako sa immigration. walang hiningi na return ticket sa akin.
2) since walang hiningi na return ticket, tinanong ko kung kailangan mag pakita ng return ticket. hindi daw.
3) tinanong ko kung ano yung naririnig kong kailangan daw ng return ticket. wala naman daw ganun.

so alis na ako. before i went out the airport. tinawagan ko yung agent ko, and sige, i confirm ulit. so i went back to the immigration counter. same reply pa din sa mga tanong ko.

so conflict ang storya mo as experience ko.

siguro best na lang mag book na lang sila ng return ticket.

personally, feeling ko either

1) nilabas yan ng phil gov't tapos later na retract

or

2) para lang sa airline yan.

ilyababy

• GirlTalker
I'm confused. Ano bang passport ang hawak nung tao na pinakita niya sa immigration? If he is holding a Philippine passport, definitely no need for visa. If he is holding a foreign passport, then it is case to case. But as you said, hindi pa nga siya citizen di ba? So I am assuming na Philippine passport ang hawak niya, therefore, bakit siya hinihingan ng visa? So basically, clarify what passport did he use first.

ayka

• Junior GirlTalker
^the first case i mentioned has a Phil passport, and she's working in UK. The second one (the latter, which is a relative living in London) I mentioned has a British passport. Apparently Brit passport holders are required to get a visa if staying for more than 21 days in the Phils. Tapos yung una ko ngang sinabi, work visa lang siya, hindi naman siya Brit passport holder, tapos hinarang pa siya sa Immigration sa atin (Pinas). Kaya nga magulo sila. 

ilyababy

• GirlTalker
I don't get it. Philippine passport pero hinarang sa Pinas nung papasok na? What for? Philippine passport holders do not need a visa to enter one's own country. For the Brit passport, I have no idea what the rule is for former Filipinos so can't comment on that. If former Filipino passport holder naman, why not just apply for a Philippine passport at the Philippine embassy kung ayaw kumuha ng visa? Filipinos can have dual citizenship naman.

sweetashoney

• GirlTalker
honga, nakakalito at nakakainis naman yan, magbabakasyon pa naman kami ni hubby and more than 21days ang stay namin, at Philippine passport holder ako pero iba ang country of residency ko. matagal akong hindi nakapagbakasyon sa pinas kaya nasasabik ako tapos may ganitong issue, baka magwarla ako sa immigration pag hingian pa ako visa haha

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
baka magwarla ako sa immigration pag hingian pa ako visa haha

hindi naman ako hinanapan ng return ticket sa immigration eh. bumalik nga ako mula sa baggage claim area papunta sa immigration booths para linawin, wala naman daw ganun.

i asked twice ha.

although noong nasa Australia ako nag tanong ang airline kung saan ako next pupunta.

kaya ko sinabi sa isang post ko na BAKA sa airline lang yun.

but objectively speaking, at least yung info na ibinigay ko is first hand info.

so its best na yung ibang foreign passport holders na pinoy dito ay mag speak out sa experience nila.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 06:12:55 PM by akthung »

lavinia48

• GirlTalker
matagal akong hindi nakapagbakasyon sa pinas kaya nasasabik ako tapos may ganitong issue, baka magwarla ako sa immigration pag hingian pa ako visa haha
^tell me about it! this happened to me just this Sept. I'm a Brit citizen who goes "home" to Pinas 2-3x a year. for years, I'm used to just booking a return flight and going. til naharang ako sa immigration sa Pinas this september lang. i arrived sept 6. the immigration officer told me that i should have applied for a visa since the "21-day no visa policy" is in effect for Brit passport holders. my return journey is october 4, which makes my stay more than 21 days. in short, i paid their so-called visa extension fees. it's partly my fault din naman, coz i wasn't aware of that rule. sa tagal ko na ba namang bumibiyahe, eh ngayon ko lang na-encounter 'to. sa isip ko lang, after ko mag-contribute sa Pinas (lalo na sa mga buwaya) for being an OFW for 9 years, pababayarin din pala ako for "overstaying" sa bansa ng kapanganakan at kinalakihan ko?!

i agree with you, sis Ayka. in my most sarcastic tongue, it's more fun in the Philippines! Yey!!!
to those who frequently travel or go "home", huwag niyo ko tularan. be mindful of immigration rules in the Phils or better yet, consult a travel advisor or solicitor. to be safe na rin. they're making travelling more and more complicated and more of a hassle!

hindi naman ako hinanapan ng return ticket sa immigration eh. bumalik nga ako mula sa baggage claim area papunta sa immigration booths para linawin, wala naman daw ganun.
i asked twice ha.
although noong nasa Australia ako nag tanong ang airline kung saan ako next pupunta.
kaya ko sinabi sa isang post ko na BAKA sa airline lang yun.
^bro, what foreign passport do you have ba? i have a Brit passport and they definitely questioned my stay. take note, after ako pabayaran ng fees, pinabukas pa mga luggages ko for customs check daw (porket ba LV mga luggage ko?). i travel alone kaya feeling ko minsan kinakaya-kaya nila mga mag-isa lang. IMO lang naman!

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
baka mainit sa inyong mga brits.

Aussie Passport.

design21

• Senior GirlTalker
It's true na if more than 21 days you need a visa sa Philippines if you are a British Citizen with british passport. If you are just a resident with a Philippine passport holder, no need for visa.

Regarding ticket, its mandatory na you have a return ticket here in the Philippines. Example manila-london-manila. Maybe coming from some country will not be an issue pero iba na immigration ngayun dito sa atin.
Pray, Hope and Dont Worry

mooncake and leaves

• Super GirlTalker
    • Clickity
 for naturalized citizens abroad/ former filipino citizens, there is a balikbayan program that allows them (and their families provided they travel with said balikbayan) to stay in the philippines, visa-free for one year from the date of arrival. but not all other foreign countries are covered by this program. i don't know what the latest news is for UK but the 21-days rule has been in effect for as long as i can remember.

ayka, there is a chance that minalas lang ang friend/s mo at natapat sa IO na hindi din alam ginagawa niya lol. but it takes two to tango: if your friend/s did their homework, they would've been able to sort out this hulabaloo. alam niyo naman sa Pinas, it's every man for himself.

but no, from experience, in all my trips to the phils. as a philippine passport holder, wala akong naging problema. walang tanong tanong kasi nga pinoy naman :)

akthung

• GUYTalker
  • Super GirlTalker
It's true na if more than 21 days you need a visa sa Philippines if you are a British Citizen with british passport.

yes this is elementary knowledge. we all know this. im sure ayka does.

but the Phil Embassy has long been "fickle minded" (example in my previous post) with some of their previous mandates.

ilang years na akong umuuwi ng pinas via one way ticket. kasi sa pinas ako bumibili ng ticket for my travels. as far as immigration is concerned wala naman silang tinatanong tanong pa. I just say Hello I'm a Balikbayan. and yun. may BB stamp ka na.

I have a big hunch na Airlines nasa likod neto. or nasa kanila ang pressure.

Foreign Passport Holders please come out and share your experiences.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:26:41 AM by akthung »

design21

• Senior GirlTalker
^ Ito ay kahit balikbayan ka pa pero naging British Citizen ka
Pray, Hope and Dont Worry

ayka

• Junior GirlTalker
ayka, there is a chance that minalas lang ang friend/s mo at natapat sa IO na hindi din alam ginagawa niya lol. but it takes two to tango: if your friend/s did their homework, they would've been able to sort out this hulabaloo. alam niyo naman sa Pinas, it's every man for himself.
^sis, that's my point at the start of this topic. yes, the "21-day no visa policy" may be in effect na for British passport holders, thus the unfortunate event for sis Lavinia48. pero yung friend ko nga, hindi naman siya British citizen, naka-work visa lang naman siya sa UK. so why the need na harangin pa siya sa immigration, diba? that rule won't even apply to her. 

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.