Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day THU 31 JUL 14
Eat slowly. It's good for better digestion--it will help you enjoy your food more too!
  • Good House Keeping
    The July issue is our Makeover Special! Be inspired by the weight-loss successes of The Biggest Loser’s Kayen Lazaro and Osie Nebreja, who entered the reality TV show simply wanting to lose weight but ended up gaining whole new (healthier!) lives.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Jumpstart your best body today with this month’s best foods special. Women’s Health shares over 100 of the best packaged foods for women, sourced from leading supermarkets, specialty stores, and delivery services.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: DYSTOPIAN READS  (Read 7256 times)

iloveshoes88

• Junior GirlTalker
  • ALL IS POSSIBLE.
    • Run Eat Shop and Travel
Re: DYSTOPIAN READS
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 10:14:23 AM »
Just finished with Legend by Marie Lu, kind of reminds me of Divergent, still a good read though :-)
www.cherrylonthego.tumblr.com    //     instagram.com/chescordora

iloveshoes88

• Junior GirlTalker
  • ALL IS POSSIBLE.
    • Run Eat Shop and Travel
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 10:40:55 AM »
www.cherrylonthego.tumblr.com    //     instagram.com/chescordora

byutijunkie

• Senior GirlTalker
  • lover of all things fab!
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 11:46:33 PM »
Just finished divergent.para ngang hunger games in a way but somehow i liked this better kasi mas developed yung pagkalatag ng factions.interesting din for me yung world ng mga dauntless.but i liked katniss more than tris.i just don't like tris's character that much,ewan ko kung bakit hehe.maybe after the 2nd book magustuhan ko na siya hehe. I also read the handmaid's tale years ago and it scared me,may movie pala yun.anyway,keep the suggestions coming i'd love to read more dystopian stories na pang YA. Has anyone read the uglies? I used to have the ebooks kaya lang when i changed fones,nakalimutan ko kopyahin.parang ok din yung series na yun:) will buy insurgent tomorrow naman
“The best color in the whole world, is the one that looks good, on you!”
                   --Coco Chanel

Myealexis21

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 03:39:53 PM »
Iba iba talaga preferences natin...ako naman mas nagustuhan ko yung hunger games compared to divergent.  I'm planning to read the 2nd books (Catching Fire and Insurgent) nila this year. 

Have anyone read the Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi? I have not read a lot of dystopian themed books pero this is one of my faves.  Not too sad and depressing, may kilig factor pa between the two main characters.

Most depressing I read is the Never Let me Go book. 
Most nakakainis na main character is yung sa Matched...kaya di ko na binasa yung second book.  LOL!
Trapped in between yesterday and forever

azrael

• GirlTalker
    • Just Livin' the Life
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 05:01:53 PM »
naku i am not a fan of such genre. =) I'm sticking to the kind of genre i am reading. =) I watched hunger games though in dvd lang nga. hehe Hindi ko kasi talaga kaya yung mga plot na may labanan, at ganun patayan so to speak.
Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

http://kiamoydiary.blogspot.com/

byutijunkie

• Senior GirlTalker
  • lover of all things fab!
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 11:57:24 PM »
Ang galeng ng insurgent.the twist at the end may not be new but it is still chilling.ang galeng talaga.loved this than the first book.
“The best color in the whole world, is the one that looks good, on you!”
                   --Coco Chanel

blackshirt13

• Late bloomer
  • Senior GirlTalker
    • Who is blackshirt13?
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 08:35:44 AM »
Just finished divergent.para ngang hunger games in a way but somehow i liked this better kasi mas developed yung pagkalatag ng factions.interesting din for me yung world ng mga dauntless.but i liked katniss more than tris.i just don't like tris's character that much,ewan ko kung bakit hehe.maybe after the 2nd book magustuhan ko na siya hehe. I also read the handmaid's tale years ago and it scared me,may movie pala yun.anyway,keep the suggestions coming i'd love to read more dystopian stories na pang YA. Has anyone read the uglies? I used to have the ebooks kaya lang when i changed fones,nakalimutan ko kopyahin.parang ok din yung series na yun:) will buy insurgent tomorrow naman

ako sis, nabasa ko na yung whole uglies series. okay din yung story, otherwise di ko na binasa lahat ng books sa series, pati yung spin-off na extras. ;)
I'm on Blogger and WordPress

workinmom

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 04:06:55 PM »
Ako rin I just finished divergent and found it a bit slow-paced. It also lacked oomph for me kaya mas naenjoy ko pa ang THG trilogy. Yun nga lang sa THG, ang pangit na ng 3rd book for me. Parang pinilit na lang na humaba ng magka3rd book. Please recommend other fast-paced dystopian books. Parang I don't feel like reading insurgent na e since medyo nadisappoint nga ako sa divergent.
"A Moment on the Lips, Forever on the Hips"

Myealexis21

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 04:26:36 PM »
^Sis I just finished Insurgent and mas gusto ko sya kesa sa Divergent.  Mas maraming nangyari and gusto ko yung mga twists...most of all some of the questions from the first book were answered.

my current fave dystopian is the "under the never sky" by Veronica Rossi, nakarelease na rin yung 2nd book niya.  You might want to give this book a try.

blackshirt13

• Late bloomer
  • Senior GirlTalker
    • Who is blackshirt13?
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »
Currently reading Matched by Ally Condie. Okay so far. Will be reading the next two books, just because i want to know how the story ends. :P

Will be reading Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi next.

workinmom

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 05:00:48 PM »
^Sige will try that din. But which is nicer, insurgent or under the never sky?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:28:18 PM by workinmom »
"A Moment on the Lips, Forever on the Hips"

Myealexis21

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 04:03:01 PM »
^I'd go for the Under the Never Sky.. It's slow at the beginning Sis, and it was hard for me to picture the world the author was describing. 

But after 2 chapters, or from the time Aria and Perry met it became a page turner for me.  I like how the author developed the love story, until now I still remember na super kilig ako kina Aria and Perry.   

I gave it 5 stars. While 4 stars lang sa Insurgent.

^^Sis Blackshirt13, saang part ka na sa matched Sis? di ko na binasa yung 2nd and 3rd book.  Nadepress ako sa setting ng book. hehe!

blackshirt13

• Late bloomer
  • Senior GirlTalker
    • Who is blackshirt13?
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 04:11:49 PM »
^ just finished matched sis. :) planning to read crossed next, kaso di ko pa ma-download to my kindle so jump muna ko to under the never sky. ;D

marose17

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 05:47:20 PM »
The following books come to my mind:

1984 by George Orwell
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Borderliners by Peter Hoeg
The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins

Myealexis21

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 06:07:46 PM »
^ just finished matched sis. :) planning to read crossed next, kaso di ko pa ma-download to my kindle so jump muna ko to under the never sky. ;D

Sis don't give up sa first few chapters ha...medyo dragging kase.  And I read a lot of reviews sharing the same sentiments. 

blackshirt13

• Late bloomer
  • Senior GirlTalker
    • Who is blackshirt13?
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 02:10:38 PM »
^ sis, na-download ko na crossed and reached (books 2 and 3 respectively of matched series) so set aside ko muna yung under the never sky for the meantime. ;D

Myealexis21

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 04:08:23 PM »
^Have you started the Under the Never Sky?

Anong rating mo sa Matched? Nadepress kase ako dyan sa book na yan kaya hindi ko na ipinagpatuloy basahin yung 2nd and 3rd book...and hindi din kase kinilig sa main characters.  At isa pa, grabe kinakabahan at natatakot ako para sa bida.  The writing is really good kase it gave me those feelings na parang andun ako with the characters. But I can't bring myself to read the 2 other books, I don't want na ma-experience yung emotions I felt while reading the first book.  In short, na-trauma ata ako haha! 

But do let me know if yung 2nd and 3rd book is the same with the first one - scary pa rin ba sya? Nakakadepress ba? Mas nakakakilig na ba yung love story?

janzphynx

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 11:00:06 PM »
hmm... matry ko ngang maghanap ng "Matched" by Ally Condie as maraming nagrecommend dito. Actually i am not aware na may dystopian genre pala, hehe, but i love reading "the hunger games" maliban nga lang sa book 3 na parang pinilit lang na matapos. I am so-so in "divergent" and "insurgent" parang medyo magulo kasi at ang hirap basahin kung ano ba talaga ang purpose nila, nyahaha. Try the "daughter of smoke and bone" by laarni taylor, lam ko lumabas na rin ang book2 nya which is "Days of blood and starlight" although wala pa ako idea nito, kasi hahanapin ko palang sya.
Maganda din ang "The mortal instrument series"
We are under the same sky so then, for that day, silently and strongly

blackshirt13

• Late bloomer
  • Senior GirlTalker
    • Who is blackshirt13?
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 08:23:48 AM »
^Have you started the Under the Never Sky?

Anong rating mo sa Matched? Nadepress kase ako dyan sa book na yan kaya hindi ko na ipinagpatuloy basahin yung 2nd and 3rd book...and hindi din kase kinilig sa main characters.  At isa pa, grabe kinakabahan at natatakot ako para sa bida.  The writing is really good kase it gave me those feelings na parang andun ako with the characters. But I can't bring myself to read the 2 other books, I don't want na ma-experience yung emotions I felt while reading the first book.  In short, na-trauma ata ako haha! 

But do let me know if yung 2nd and 3rd book is the same with the first one - scary pa rin ba sya? Nakakadepress ba? Mas nakakakilig na ba yung love story?

just finished with the 2nd book (crossed) and now on the 3rd (reached). i rated matched 3 stars, crossed just 2 stars. i got bored with the latter, truth be told. the 3rd book reached seems promising though. ;)

hmm... matry ko ngang maghanap ng "Matched" by Ally Condie as maraming nagrecommend dito. Actually i am not aware na may dystopian genre pala, hehe, but i love reading "the hunger games" maliban nga lang sa book 3 na parang pinilit lang na matapos. I am so-so in "divergent" and "insurgent" parang medyo magulo kasi at ang hirap basahin kung ano ba talaga ang purpose nila, nyahaha. Try the "daughter of smoke and bone" by laarni taylor, lam ko lumabas na rin ang book2 nya which is "Days of blood and starlight" although wala pa ako idea nito, kasi hahanapin ko palang sya.
Maganda din ang "The mortal instrument series"

as far as i can tell, more of fantasy than dystopian yung "daughter of smoke and bones" and "days of blood and starlight" (book 2) ni laini taylor. but whatever their genre, i definitely recommend them since maganda talaga yung story, plus ang colorful ng characters (literally and otherwise). same goes with the mortal instruments series. those are two of my favorite YA series ever. :D

xRylaine

• GirlTalker
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 07:57:21 PM »
 I started reading Matched this morning, and hndi ko pa mabigay yung judgement ko..umpisa palang kasi..:)) dami ko rin nababasang negative reviews sa goodreads nun ee..:D

and try reading yung Delirium and Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver,  and yung 3rd book nyan lalabas this year..:D

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.