Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day SAT 22 NOV 14
If you want to establish a business but only have a small capital, go online! Social networking the best way to let your services get known
  • Good House Keeping
    The New Mrs. Pitt, Angelina Jolie, is on the cover of the November issue of Good Housekeeping!
    Good Housekeeping
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: DYSTOPIAN READS  (Read 8977 times)

iloveshoes88

• Junior GirlTalker
  • ALL IS POSSIBLE.
    • Run Eat Shop and Travel
DYSTOPIAN READS
« on: October 23, 2012, 09:16:08 AM »
Haven't seen any topics about dystopian reads.

To begin, wikipedia defines dystopia as a hypothetical or otherwise imaginary society, often in the context of a work of fiction (especially one set in a speculative future), characterized by elements that are opposite to those associated with utopia. A dystopia is, therefore, a place in which "people lead dehumanized and often fearful lives" or in which "everything is unpleasant or bad, typically....totalitarian or environmentally degraded."

It all began with Hunger Games for me, after that sunod sunod na mga dystopian reads ko. :) Nagi-enjoy na ko sa patayan at labanan (lol).

What are your thoughts about this genre? What are your favorite dystopian books?

CebuGem

• Amber's Light
  • Junior GirlTalker
    • Lucid Intervals
Re: DYSTOPIAN READS
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:28:15 AM »
from the definition itself, depressing. yes, this type are depressing. therefore, prepare to be sad.  :-[

Kazuo Ishiguro's 'Never Let Me Go' falls under this category. It was set some time (not in the future) where human cloning is legal (well, it didn't mention that it was illegal so i assume the law allowed it).

iloveshoes88

• Junior GirlTalker
  • ALL IS POSSIBLE.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 09:19:25 AM »
^what I like about dystopian reads is that most of them are fast paced, isa lang ata yung dystopian na nabasa ko na mabagal which is Delirium by Lauren Oliver, pero one of the best reads na nabasa ko, di lahat pwede sakyan yung way of writing nya nga lang some find it boring pero  ako i really enjoyed it. :)

Isa pang dystopian book na nabasa ko na nagustuhan ko talaga is Divergent :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 10:25:50 AM by iloveshoes88 »

liquidglaze

• addiction is a hobby
  • Super GirlTalker
  • i'm so blessed!!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 06:50:39 PM »
Interesting. More dystopian recos pls.  :)
" ... and what constitutes evil, real evil, is taking of a single human life. Whether a man would die tomorrow or the day after or eventually ... it doesn't matter. Because if God does not exist, then life ... every second of it, is all we have."

ladychris17

• insert cool and witty title here.
  • Super GirlTalker
    • Philosophizing Beauty
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 10:32:52 PM »
I love dystopian novels, and tragedy in general. Good art is when you make the reader suffer, but even better art is when you invent a whole new world to put that suffering into context such it will have a full blow.
1984 by George Orwell will always be my one, true, dystopian love. Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood is also really good. Okay din yung Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.
For contemporary novels, the ones by Max Barry are really niceas well. Di siya sikat(Australian writer siya, actually sa sobrang underrated niya friend ko siya sa fb lol) pero very witty and intellectual ang style niya with black humor, he writes mostly on Consumerism. I have read Jennifer Government and Company palang and both are really good and innovative especially Company, kaso mahirap humanap ng copies.

I also liked Hunger Games. Actually, kaya lang nagbasa ng YA genre dahil sa Hunger Games kaso wala padin ako nakikitang makakatalo sa Hunger Games. Hindi naman original si Suzanne Collins, actually, madami nang lumabas na ganitong story especially in Japan kahit na sabihin niyang Greek Tragedies ang inspiration niya, di nga din ganon ka-coherent yung plot niya, pero it is still entertaining and, despite these nuances, able to touch you from within. Kumbaga may kurot padin. :D

My next reads:
Brave New world by Aldois Huxley
The Iron Heel by Jack London

Actually kahit sa movies, I have a thing for dystopian stories, but that's a different topic na so stop na ako dito hehe!

iloveshoes88

• Junior GirlTalker
  • ALL IS POSSIBLE.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 09:18:56 AM »
Sis read Divergent if you like Hunger Games, my friends also enjoyed Legend by Marie Lu although di ko pa siya nababasa dahil Nagci-City of Bones pa ko. :)

polymath2012

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 08:14:54 AM »
Hunger Games
Brave New World
The Giver
Delirium
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Trilogy)
The Host
Ignorance is bliss.

gwacie

• also known as Grace the Great
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • daydream believer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 12:22:06 AM »
Add to the above The Maze Runner series by James Dashner and Unwind series by Neal Shusterman.
I'll seek a four-leaved shamrock in all thy fairy dells,
And if I find the charmed leaves, oh, how I'll weave my spells!

iloveshoes88

• Junior GirlTalker
  • ALL IS POSSIBLE.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 01:20:47 PM »
^Will read The Maze Runner this week sis, dapat nung Saturday pa kaso sumakit ata yung ulo ko sa continuous reading ng City of Bones and Anna and the French Kiss. LOL. Heard great reviews about the book. :)

Unwind naghahanap pa kami, most book stores our of stock na.

cinco girl

• GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 08:40:07 AM »
If you love the Hunger Games series, you'll also love Divergent series by Veronica Roth. :)
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."

ladychris17

• Super GirlTalker
    • Philosophizing Beauty
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »
Thanks sa mga nag reco ng Divergent mga sis, I'll try to find one :)

xRylaine

• GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 01:20:32 PM »
bet ko Divergent and Insurgent, kahit na kaunti lang yung similarities nila nung Hunger Games..:D
Next ko babasahin yung The knife of Never Letting Go...

ladychris17

• Super GirlTalker
    • Philosophizing Beauty
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 04:38:30 PM »
Currently reading Divergent but not liking it so far. :(
Warning: slightly harsh partial review follows. Those who liked the book/s might be offended so I aplogize in advance but this is my hoonest opinion.

Seems like an awful mix of Plato's Republic, Orwell's 1984, and some YA violence and romance for Freudian primary drives, thus resulting into wide, tangled, threads of incoherence.
80 pages palang ako put of 400 something so I'm withholding any further reviews and comments, baka gumanda naman sa huli despite incoherences, kasi sa Hunger Games naman di din masyadong maganda the first two books, incoherent, and definitely unoriginal, but the last one pinched my flesh.

Have Insurgent na but I might not read it muna out of frustration. Tapusin ko to then I'll try Maze Runner naman.
Medyo hesitant ako nung nalaman kong 22 lang si Veronica Roth kasi given na yun na naive pa some of the points she would make. But for a 22 year old naman siguro, it's not that bad. Maybe I'll check her our again when she turns 40 and still writes. Iba talaga the wisdom of the old, and of course, I believe that everyone gets better with practice. Kalungkot for Collins na she's being compared with Roth..

kayesl

• Senior GirlTalker
  • i love being a sahm
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 11:52:58 PM »
pago pa lang ako naka-read ng dystopian books.  medyo nagugustuhan ko naman sya lalo na YA Dystopian.

Hunger Games series - sorry pero hunger games lang maganda. papangit ng papangit yung story line. sapilitan nang tapusin yung series.

Diverget & Insurgent - fresh na fresh pa sa akin. kakatapos ko lang Insurgent an hour ago. hahaha. mas nagustuhan ko to kesa Hunger Games. medyo nasobrahan lang ng aksyon sa book2 pero kaya pa naman. ang tagal pa ng book3!!!

Mortal Instrument series (City of Bones) - book1 pa lang nabasa ko eh. pero accr to hubby maganda sya. paganda daw ng paganda story (book3 na sya).

salamat sa inyong mga recommendation. isasama ko yan sa mga to-read ko.  :)

ladychris17

• Super GirlTalker
    • Philosophizing Beauty
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 12:56:47 AM »
^ haha baliktad tayo sia for me naman yung latter parts lang ng mockingjay ang maganda! Althoigh ok din naman yung Hunger Games. I particularly liked The Hanging Tree kaya may dating sakin ang mockingjay. Ang gaganda ng poetry and songs sa last part kah .med .unoriginal but nevertheless maganda padin.  :)

blackshirt13

• Late bloomer
  • Senior GirlTalker
    • Who is blackshirt13?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 08:39:44 AM »
#1 pa din dito ang hunger games! ;D

ganda din yung delirium, pandemonium and requiem (yet to be released) by lauren oliver.

not so much a fan of divergent though.
I'm on Blogger and WordPress

polymath2012

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 01:50:39 AM »
Currently reading Divergent but not liking it so far. :(
Warning: slightly harsh partial review follows. Those who liked the book/s might be offended so I aplogize in advance but this is my hoonest opinion.

I've read good reviews about the book but i didnt like it too. Mas nagustuhan ko pa yung Chaos Walking trilogy.
Ignorance is bliss.

blackshirt13

• Late bloomer
  • Senior GirlTalker
    • Who is blackshirt13?
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 08:48:01 AM »
^ maganda din story ng Chaos Walking? meron akong copy pero di ko pa nalilingilan basahin. ;D
I'm on Blogger and WordPress

xRylaine

• GirlTalker
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 09:50:28 AM »
^ yes sis maganda siya..  ;D nasa book 2 na ko which is Ask and the Answer.. nag-eenjoy pa naman ako..:)

pansin ko lang talagang masyadong political yung dystopian reads noh? naalala ko yung Mockingjay, parang puro sa government nalang, although maganda pa din naman, kaso nakakaumay basahin, di tulad ng first 2 books.  :D

ladychris17

• Super GirlTalker
    • Philosophizing Beauty
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 12:46:13 PM »
^political talaga sis ang dystopian reads, kasi they're required to invent a horrible world and who else has that power but the government or whatever position that is higher than us? It's a dystopian kasi there's a dividing line that distinguishes us(or the protagonist) from the higher-up and the anguish comes from this distinction of being powerless and powerful. :)
ka-umay lang kasi halos lahat ngayon, footnotes to Orwell na. Puro totalitarianism yung inaaway(kasi nga naman yun yung epitome of power), even Ayn Rand falls prey to this.

That's why I like Max Barry, he attacks consumerism and builds systems where this goes extreme and falters.

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.