Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day SUN 26 OCT 14
Worried about your performance at work? Find a mentor and ask for guidance. Learning from a senior will help you get better at your job.
  • Good House Keeping
    Judy Ann Santos-Agoncillo returns to our cover this September issue and gets candid about money, marriage, and motherhood.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Drop two sizes fast—with simple exercises you can do at home! This month's ultimate weight-loss special shows you how. Plus, real women share how you, too, can shed and keep off excess weight for good.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Ebook Reader Thread V  (Read 36157 times)

bluegintonic

• I am loved and now a
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • I am the cat's MEOW.
    • Ana Banana
Re: Ebook Reader Thread V
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 04:48:44 PM »
Mine's a Kindle Fire. Sulit! May wifi capability din naman at ok ang price. THE HD is more if you're into a gamer/watcher, exaggerated naman if just HD for reading.
It is our choices that show what we truly are,far more than our abilities

lovehatemanila

• Junior GirlTalker
    • SMDC.  SUN Residences.
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 01:39:28 PM »
^Sis san ka nag-buy and how much?  Tia.  :)

ladychris17

• insert cool and witty title here.
  • Super GirlTalker
    • Philosophizing Beauty
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 01:09:50 AM »
Magkano na ngayon yung kindle na na parang papel lang pag binabasa?

Ang use nalang ng ipad ko these days, ebook reader, editor for mimor revisions re:thesis, at internet. Yun lang.

Heatherette

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 12:04:27 PM »
^Alin dun Tin? Kindle 5 or Kindle Paperwhite? Sa mga resellers, nasa less than P5k yung Kindle 5 while less than P6k yung Paperwhite. May bundle na yung iba dyan, like may kasamang case and screen protector.

bluegintonic

• I am loved and now a
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • I am the cat's MEOW.
    • Ana Banana
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 12:28:17 PM »
^Sis san ka nag-buy and how much?  Tia.  :)

I buy everything direct from Amazon. paperwhite lang kasi avail dito sa Perth. The pricelist (excluding shipping)
Kindle paperwhite-119 USD
Kindle Fire-199 USD
Kindle fire HD 8.9"- 299 USD

I use MYUS.COM services to forward everything to me here in Aussie. at 80 USD per year membership sulit na sulit. If you use cargo forwarding companies to Manila, ok rin.

The only downside not being a US CC holder eh hindi ko ma-access yung free books, but that's not a hindrance to using it, you can still buy books thru Amazon (the kindle versions). Since we move around a lot (every 2 years or so) I now don't have to lug boxes full of books all the time with me! :)

Wandabanana

• Ninja
  • GirlTalker
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 02:04:20 PM »
^There is a workaround for getting the free ebooks and deals. What I did was change my country to US under the Manage your Kindle settings. This lets me subscribe to the Kindle deals email list and purchase some ebooks for the US price (as opposed to more expensive non-US prices).

allthebows

• Probationary
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 01:43:03 AM »
Is anybody a Nook user here? I am considering the Nook HD but a friend of mine told me that non-US residents are at a disadvantage, since there are a lot of limitations for apps and features. Such a shame, because I like their hardware better. For the PH-based users out there what are your experiences so far?

mdurano

• GirlTalker
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 10:44:23 PM »
Hi mga sis..i have a nook coming by next month..wala bang problema mag download ng ebooks sa barnes and noble site mga sis since nasa pinas ako?

bluegintonic

• I am loved and now a
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • I am the cat's MEOW.
    • Ana Banana
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 11:04:16 AM »
^There is a workaround for getting the free ebooks and deals. What I did was change my country to US under the Manage your Kindle settings. This lets me subscribe to the Kindle deals email list and purchase some ebooks for the US price (as opposed to more expensive non-US prices).
I can buy ebooks no problem,hindi ko lang ma-access yung free books from what they call a " lending library". Only US-based kindle users can do this.still, i'm happy with my kindle fire,beats having to carry around a lot of books with you.

moonstar_004

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 12:30:50 PM »
Hi mga sis..i have a nook coming by next month..wala bang problema mag download ng ebooks sa barnes and noble site mga sis since nasa pinas ako?

with my nook color before, i used an app on my laptop(windows) to change my ip address when i had to purchase a book from barnes online. i think that's how they detect if you're US-based or not.

moonstar_004

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 12:32:21 PM »
i purchased na a couple of paperwhites for me and my mom. have to let go of my few months old kindle touch. ;D hindi ko natiis yung paperwhite since i always read at night. :)

mdurano

• GirlTalker
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 03:08:50 PM »
Thanks sis moonstar

ampere

• Senior GirlTalker
  • In dreams,we enter a world that's entirely our own
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 02:00:49 PM »
^try hotspot shield that's what i used to change my IP address to US IP when i ordered my nook glow directly from B&N  :)
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out. :P

Wandabanana

• Ninja
  • GirlTalker
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2012, 02:07:24 PM »
Lumabas na yung iPad Mini: http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/overview/

Nakaka-tempt ibenta yung iPad 2 ko for this one, but I think I'll wait till they release the Retina version. Heh. Sa ngayon, Kindle Paperwhite muna pagi-interesan ko.

Wandabanana

• Ninja
  • GirlTalker
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 02:08:10 PM »
I can buy ebooks no problem,hindi ko lang ma-access yung free books from what they call a " lending library". Only US-based kindle users can do this.still, i'm happy with my kindle fire,beats having to carry around a lot of books with you.

Di ba for Prime members lang yun? Have not tried the lending library option yet. Will check it out tonight.

iwannabeasupermodel

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 02:41:31 PM »
wow mukhang interesting ang paperwhite ah! tapos less than 6k lang. sulit! ano kaya yung paperwhite? automatic na mag-aadjust yung light if dumilim or something? tapos para siyang touch screen. sana mabilis ang turning of pages at walang delay tulad ng kindle touch.

meron na rin palang kindle 5 pero halos pareho lang ng kindle 4.
#cantbuyclass

pandaching92000

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 03:15:59 PM »
i purchased na a couple of paperwhites for me and my mom. have to let go of my few months old kindle touch. ;D hindi ko natiis yung paperwhite since i always read at night. :)

how was it sis? di ba masakit sa mata yung light nya?

moonstar_004

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 06:11:44 PM »
^haven't received it yet. when i ordered a couple of weeks ago, end of november na yung delivery date(to a US address). good thing i ordered na nga din because my brother will be bringing them home by first week of december.

i've read reviews about the light, looks good naman. :)

bluegintonic

• I am loved and now a
  • Senior GirlTalker
  • I am the cat's MEOW.
    • Ana Banana
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 03:17:58 PM »
Di ba for Prime members lang yun? Have not tried the lending library option yet. Will check it out tonight.
I do have a Prime account.Problem is if your cc isn't from the US, hindi talaga maa-access ang lending library.I live in Australia. there's very limited choices here in mid priced e-book readers. even with the shipping I can still buy things cheaper from the US. Hindi rin na-access free apps and videos/movies for free, in short bibili ka pa rin talaga but at the price they sell it for, mas OK kesa bilhin ko dito,so hindi naman totally useless and prime account ko hehe! I can acess free magazines din nga pala kaso some delete the old version as soon as new copies are available. pansin ko delayed ang release ng magazine issues from the paper copy but it's ok, as long as free naman or nearly for free, as in less than a dollar per issue

maiandra

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2012, 10:03:52 AM »
Meron ba sa Phils na mabibilhan ng paperwhite?
Live your dreams

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.