Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day SAT 23 AUG 14
Skip the chips! Instead, dip carrots or celery sticks in low-fat dressing for your afternoon snack.
  • Good House Keeping
    Forever young Cheska Garcia-Kramer talks about her stay-gorgeous secrets, mommy bliss, and the surprising success of #TeamKramer in the August issue a.k.a. the Anti-Aging Special of Good Housekeeping!
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Build the confidence to strut in a pair of jeans with our 28-day pound-shedding, lean muscle-building workout, and learn the best cuts for your body type with our easy style guide.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Ebook Reader Thread V  (Read 32957 times)

Heatherette

• Super GirlTalker
Ebook Reader Thread V
« on: September 22, 2012, 11:49:52 PM »
Link to Thread 4 here:
http://www.femalenetwork.com/girltalk/index.php/topic,242129.0.html

I tried to quote the post on the first page, important kasi yung mga info naka-post dun. Yung iba dead na links na.

Guys, we've reached 30 pages na sa previous thread.

Let's transfer here.

Previous thread:
http://www.femalenetwork.com/girltalk/index.php/topic,212889.0.html

Ebook Readers used by our fellow gtalkers as discussed previously

1. Sony PRC 300, 600 & 900
available locally - yes (gadgetgrocery.com). third party, (unofficial) seller
note: price is a little steep but tolerable.
Sometimes available on multiply, ebay.ph etc
price range - 11,500 - 26,000 depending on the model
Review: littlemisskikay's review, thread 1 p. 20, reply #389

2. Astak EZ Reader
available locally - No
how to order - via website http://www.astak.com
international shipping - gtalkers here prefer Johnny Air Cargo (JAC)
price range - 149-199 USD
review: Read Lyn's take on the Astak EZ reader
Thread 1, P.2 reply#24

3. Barnes & Noble Nook
available locally - yes, third party (unofficial) seller
(infomaxx offers them, 23,00 - 24,000)
official: how to order - via website http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp
international shipping - again JAC is the preferred shipper
Price 149- wifi, 199- wifi+3G
review:
Heatherette's shipping experience: Thread 1, P. 17, reply #338
Reviews and Unboxing: thread 1, P. 19, reply #360
Price after shipping and taxes - PhP13,000 (wifi model)

4. Kindle 3
available locally - no
how to order: via website http://www.amazon.com
International shipping: Amazon via DHL
Prices: wifi -139, wifi+3G - 189
Price after shipping and taxes: 10,500 - 12,500 depending on the accessories for the wifi version
Reviews: Nightingale's review Thread II P.3 reply #56,
Goddessella's review Thread II P.10 reply #180
Lyn's review: Thread II P.14 reply #273.

5. kindle 1, 2 DX
not really familiar with the process. i think there's a separate thread:
http://www.femalenetwork.com/girltalk/index.php/topic,209594.20.html

6. Redfox wizlib
available locally - yes
note: not yet released. tentative release date has been pushed to mid-sept - early Oct.
tentative pricing:
11,999 for the 5"
15,999 for the 6"
27,999 for the 9.7"

ebook management software and format converter of choice:
Calibre - http://calibre-ebook.com/

ebook formats per reader:
Kindle: mobi, text, prc, pdf, azw, html, doc
Sony Reader: epub, pdf, text, rtf, doc
Apple iPad: epub, text, pdf, html, eReader, prc, mobi
Nook: pdf, epub, pdb, eReader
Astak: EVERYTHING! lol (i'm tamad to look for it. peace!)

E-BOOK SOURCES:
each device has their own e-bookstore
Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/kindle-store-ebooks-newspapers-blogs/b/ref=topnav_storetab_kinc?ie=UTF8&node=133141011

Nook:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/index.asp

Sony:
http://ebookstore.sony.com/

also, check the following threads for sources:
http://www.femalenetwork.com/girltalk/index.php/topic,198900.0.html

http://www.femalenetwork.com/girltalk/index.php/topic,229588.0.html

Updated as of SEPT. 18, 2010.
Info subject to change without due notice.

whew. OC much? lol

Here's how I arrange mine

Since B&N won't accept my credit card kasi yung billing address must be in the US unlike sa Amazon na pwede kahit Phils yung billing address, I made pabili sa Johnny Air. $25 yung fee nila for pabili. So...

Nook - $149
Nook Alice Cover - $24.95
Total - $173.95
NY Sales Tax (8.875) - $15.43
JAC Service Fee - $25

TOTAL: $214.38
Peso rate: P46.85

Total: P10,043.70

Then I paid for customs duties and fee depending on the weight of the package (US-Phils shipping) around P3000. So total niya mga P13000+

The package arrived in more than a week. Siguro mga 8-9 days?

---

^They have a branch in SM Megamall and Makati. Yung sa Makati, check mo here.

With Amazon, shipping is possible to the Phils. B&N kasi wala pang shipping here so when you use your CC kelangan billing address sa US din. If you're interested in purchasing Nook via Johnny Air, have a printout nung papabili mo with the corresponding link kasi yun yung papadala nila sa NY office para alam nung nasa NY kung ano yung oorderin mo. You will also fill up a form putting the link again then after nun ico-compute na nila yung babayaran mo. Sa SM Megamall, cash basis while sa Makati branch nila may CC and cash. Pag dating nung Nook dito sa Manila, JAC will text you so you can pick it up sa branch nila then that's when you'll pay for the customs duties and taxes and shipping from US-Phils. Mababait yung mga sa JAC sa Megamall  Kasi the one I talked to in Makati, di naman sinabi na we have to bring a printout nung papabili so nung nagpunta kami sa Megamall, wala kaming dalang printout but they let us used their computer para makuha lang namin yung infos about the product.

@benchinco i was able to DL both.

TIP:
i added a US address and made it my default address just for kindle purchases (cheaper books) i suggest using your kindle for it tho, cuz if the system detects you are purchasing via a pc not located in the US, they will hold your kindle account. you wont be able to purchase anything til you talk to a customer care rep.

what i did tho was that i added a JAC address, then started purchasing all the free books like crazy. (had about 10 purchased already when my kindle account was detected) i simply emailed the cc and told them that i am "currently" not in the US right now then i told the reps that i plan to have all my purchases delivered there to save on shipping.

easy peasy.

i think even the books are 2-3 dollars cheaper for US subscribers, and some books are not available for asian subscribers due to licensing issues, you can use this to avail/save.

note tho that i did this about august pa, i didnt have my kindle with me pa then..

Mga sis: On using Calibre to send your ebooks or news/articles to your Kindle via email and not incurr the perMB download fees. Set your Amazon account per download to $0.00 and let Calibre send it to your [email protected] email. Kasi I find that I can't received the emails attachments if I use the email [email protected] directly. And if you set it up to $0.00 and send it to your [email protected] email you'll just receive a notice that you exceed from your maximum charge which is $0.00 dollars and they have sent it via your @free.kindle.com email and the items will be downloaded when you hook up to your wifi network.

That is why I set my Account per download to $0.00 kasi pag hindi and you're Kindle is 3G version when you wake your Kindle it will automatically latch on to a 3G signal and if you have an item you sent to your Kindle, gagamitin nya yung 3G signal and after the download is done tshaka na cya maho-hook up sa wifi signal mo.  Happened to me kasi, though $.15/MB lang still I don't want to pay for that. And if the article is big you'll be charge more. I guess people with Kindle wifi don't have to worry about the per charge download settings nila sa Amazon account nila kasi wala namang 3G signal.

---

Another NOTE mga sis. If you had someone else buy your Kindle new from Amazon.com or someone gifted you with a Kindle. Ask/Tell them to de-/un-registered it check giving item as a gift on their Amazon account when they proceed to checkout so that you can registered it to your own Amazon account. If by accident or if something happens to it and you need it fixed or replaced you can contact Amazon about it just ask for the receipt or Order# from the one who bought it for you or gifted it to you so that Amazon can check the origin/original purchaser and see if you're still covered with the 1 year warranty. If Amazon asked if you bought it, just say it was given to you and you need it to be fixed or replaced and you have the Order# for it. And you're good to go.

So if ever you buy K3 there in the Philippines asked them the original receipt/print out or even just the Order# so you can avail the 1 year warranty from Amazon.

BTW; You need to registered it, the unit, to your Amazon account so that you can use the Collection feature of your Kindle.

---

Hello mga sis, Another great tip here: (I'm super excited with this one!

I found a way to be able to download your ebooks wirelessly to your Kindle using your Kindle Browser. No hack whatsoever. All you have to so is sign up for a free Dropbox Account Here. Installed the Dropbox, after that drag and drop ebooks that are mobi/prc/azw files on your My Dropbox folder. You have the option to publicly shared your files or not. If you want to publicly shared you put your files in the public folders so you can publicly share your link of that particular ebook. Mine I just put it directly sa My Dropbox folder so it's private and we'll be sure that it won't get deleted. After that you can also sync your mobile device too. So all your files are sync via Dropbox cloud. So even if your PC/Laptop is off you still be able to access your files on the go. All is sync up. Mine are my Laptop, iPhone and Kindle.

To access your files onto your Kindle:
1. Turn on your wireless signal
2. Launch your browser on your Kindle, log in to your account
3. Go to Files
4. Select the files you want to download unto your Kindle and viola, your ebook will appear in your homescreen.

Pretty Cool, huh?

And since the Dropbox free account is only 2GB, when you sign up on the link I gave above you and I will increase our storage capacity. That's pretty awesome, right? So please if you want to avail this and sign up, Please use my referral link. Thank you!

Additional NOTE: I suspect that Nook devices can do this too. Just sync/save files on your My Dropbox folder that are ePub format. And your Nook can access this on your Nook Browser, following the steps above. On Kindle it should be prc/mobi and azw. Even though pdf is supported it won't download only mobi/prc and azw. Don't forget, for Nook ePub.

Enjoy mga sis!!! I tried this out and everything works perfectly and I don't have a lot to tweak/do to set up my stuff to download into my Kindle.

---

^For Inquirer.net I think there's a giltch in there so I made my own Inquirer recipe. I only include the RSS feeds that I'm really interested to read. Here are the Phils. Inquirer RSS feeds: http://services.inquirer.net/rss/rss.php

Only get Most Read, Breaking News, Top Stories and Entertainment.

As for your "gift", bigay mo yan sakin sis He he  Para mabili ko yung gusto ko. Ha ha ha  I would buy either another Kindle 3/DXG, Oberon Book Cover, External HD, Seagate Dockstar/Pogoplug, HD video camera or a new DSLR camera.

---

@cookiesncream08, I posted the link on where to get the RSS feeds for Phils. Inquirer on Page 24 reply#452.

Here, I re-post it dito:
http://services.inquirer.net/rss/rss.php

To make your own recipe, here's the step by step:

1. Click the arrow down button and choose Add a custom news source from the fetch news icon on top of Calibre.
2. Change the Recipe Title (ex: Philippines Inquirer)
3. On the Add feed to recipe, fill out the feed title and feed URL (ex: Feed title: Inquirer Breaking News, feed URL: the RSS feeds for Breaking news found on the above link http://services.inquirer.net/rss/rss.php )
4. Then click the green colored + Add feed at the bottom.
5. If you want to have/add more feed follow steps 3 and 4 until you're satisfied with your recipe.
6. After you've added all the feeds you want to be put on that recipe (Inquirer), click the green + Add/Update recipe on the left.

And you're done adding your recipe. You can then shedule your news downloads.  You'll see your recipe under Custom right below the the green Scheduled folder.

Note: You can edit your custom recipe by going back to Add a custom news source, click the recipe from the left top corner you want to edit. Add or remove the RSS feeds you want to be put on your custom recipe. Very easy....

^^my problem ata ang Kindle Collection Manager sa K3. You can also use Calibre to manage your collection, there's a GUI plug in for that. eto ang features:

Create collections on your Kindle using Calibre's columns/categories
Preview changes before saving them
View collections on your Kindle
Edit collections on your Kindle
Restore previous collections file
Check Kindle for books that are invalid, empty, or duplicated
Customize using a GUI interface (supports multiple libraries/Kindles)

hope this helps

ayanlanz

• iN uR hEaRt yOu cA fiD
  • Super GirlTalker
  • GT : mY 1sT eVeR fOrUm & 7 yRs iN a RoW!
    • discovering me....
Re: Ebook Reader Thread V
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 09:10:19 AM »
new house na pala....:)

i'm still using my sony reader mag-4-yrs now. up to now hindi ko pa rin na-fu-full yung storage ng memory card!  ;D
EvEry tEardRop is sO prEciouS sO bEtteR makE surE thaT if yOu drOp somE, it iS woRth crYing fOr, bEcausE yOu caN nevEr picK thEm & puT thEm bAck to yOur eYes...                 LoVe WiSeLy! ;) :-* 

muahmuahmuah

• There is no price for Awesomeness! Amp'd Up
  • Super GirlTalker
  • dam it your clothes! punk the devil
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 02:32:56 AM »
me i'm still thinking of selling or giving my nook away mas gamit ko na si Nexus 7 kasi with moonreader+ downloaded.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection. The Lovers, the Dreamers, and Me.

I am a catch, and I am not going to be the one to get away.

You should never settle for who you are.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

blackshirt13

• Late bloomer
  • Senior GirlTalker
    • Who is blackshirt13?
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »
still using and loving my kindle keyboard. but i couldn't help drooling when i saw the kindle paperwhite because i read mostly at night. :'( btw, anyone here who already has one? is it as great as it's specs proclaim it to be?
I'm on Blogger and WordPress

jals vins

• GirlTalker
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 07:41:46 PM »
hi everyone. pardon my ignorance but can someone explain to me how exactly an ebook reader works? i read occasionally and buying books is contributing to the clutter :P based on what i read here, iba iba ang brands but how exactly do you get the "books"? do you download them or buy them? how about those pdf files of books some of my friends send to my e-mail? are those the same kind of files you just download from an ebook device? ;D

Heatherette

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 07:51:34 PM »
^Ebook reader is a device used to read electronic books (ebooks). Maraming format ang ebook: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats

How to acquire ebooks: buy or download for free (marami sa Project Gutenberg website). As to where to buy, there's Amazon, Barnes and Noble, iTunes, ebook.com, etc...

Some ebook readers can read PDF files, kung hindi nakakabasa, you need to convert them. Check your ebook reader kung anong format ang nababasa niya kasi not all can read all ebook formats. There's Calibre - http://calibre-ebook.com which can convert your ebook to any specified format.

jals vins

• GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 08:31:43 PM »
^thanks sis heatherette! how about smartphones, do they have apps that work like an ebook reader? may nabibili ba na ebook reader in pinas na not too expensive?

Heatherette

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 08:39:27 PM »
^Yung mga ebook readers na binebenta sa mga stores sa atin overpriced by more than 100% pero maraming resellers nagbebenta na mura.

May ibang Smartphone na nakakabasa ng ebook pero if you compare it to an ebook reader, ibang iba kasi ang ebook reader, e-ink ang gamit na technology kaya yung screen parang paper talaga, walang ilaw like sa mga phones or tablets.

ayanlanz

• iN uR hEaRt yOu cA fiD
  • Super GirlTalker
    • discovering me....
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 09:55:56 PM »
any feedback sa ebook apps ng Google Nexus 7?  ::)
EvEry tEardRop is sO prEciouS sO bEtteR makE surE thaT if yOu drOp somE, it iS woRth crYing fOr, bEcausE yOu caN nevEr picK thEm & puT thEm bAck to yOur eYes...                 LoVe WiSeLy! ;) :-* 

muahmuahmuah

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 08:44:17 AM »
^sandali ko lang nagamit the built in ebook app of the nexus  i remember getting a bit  frustrated, been so used to  the nooks interface and settings and i was eyeing a specific function that the moonreader had kaya agad i installed it agad. the very thing i enjoy most is being able to work 3 different readers on it- kindle, the nook and the moonreader. the minor set back i can think of lang that some might have against the nexus,  is not being able to see your whole libray downloaded on the desktop or main page, just how it is on the iphone you have to download your books (from specific readers) individually if you want them all there. maybe you can display the books or the titles you have yun lang hindi ko lang pa napatyagaan aralin.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection. The Lovers, the Dreamers, and Me.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

jals vins

• GirlTalker
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »
^Yung mga ebook readers na binebenta sa mga stores sa atin overpriced by more than 100% pero maraming resellers nagbebenta na mura.

May ibang Smartphone na nakakabasa ng ebook pero if you compare it to an ebook reader, ibang iba kasi ang ebook reader, e-ink ang gamit na technology kaya yung screen parang paper talaga, walang ilaw like sa mga phones or tablets.

ahh i see!
what's a nice brand? i've read here kindle, barnes and noble? but i think they are more than 10k :o can u recommend something around 4-6k price range lang? or lower? or wala yan?

Wandabanana

• Ninja
  • GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 01:57:49 PM »
^Most ebook readers are priced in the 4-6k range, mataas na yung 7k ata for 3G readers. You can google for comparisons between the top brands (Nook and Kindle), pero meron din namang ibang brands that you might also like, tulad ng Kobo, Sony etc.

Madami online reseller sa tipidpc, you can just do a search for Kindle there and you'll see a lot of them selling Kindles for a little over its retail price on Amazon. Just pick the most reasonably priced from a reseller with good feedback. I'm sure meron din resellers for other brands.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 02:03:18 PM by hazeru »

Heatherette

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »
^^Check Amazon.com for Kindle prices and Barnesandnoble.com for Nook prices.

jals vins

• GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 09:42:07 AM »
^thanks hazeru and Heatherette! :)

ayanlanz

• iN uR hEaRt yOu cA fiD
  • Super GirlTalker
    • discovering me....
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 10:56:01 AM »
^^^^^thanks sis muahmuahmuah. :)
pabago-bago kasi isip ni brother kaya pati ako nalilito. he wanted Ainol previously tapos ngayon Nexus naman. baka tomorrow iba na ulit :o

muahmuahmuah

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 02:41:52 AM »
^you're welcome. nakakalito nga ang dami kasi nilang pagpipilian. goodluck sa paghahanap :)

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

lyn

• "Be true to yourself!"
  • Super GirlTalker
  • Say what's on your mind. ;)
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 01:53:28 AM »
Ang bilis, thread 5 na tayo...

Mga choices din sa mga ebook readers ang bilis mag change. I find I use my K3 more than my Nook Simple Touch. I'm eyeing the one with Glowlight. But don't know if Nook ba or Kindle na may glowlight bibilhin ko. I'm planning to give my Nook Simple Touch to my niece. But hindi ko pa din ibibigay yung EZ Reader ko. LOL! Super love ko yun kahit old na siya. He he :D

Also Nook HD or Kindle Fire HD? LOL! I want to buy my hubs one and he can't decide on the two. Gusto ko din if ever I'll buy him one I can use/play with it too. Malapit na christmas I have to decide which I have to buy for him now... Busy kasi kami sa last quarter sa work I won't have time for last minute buys. :-\
No matter how clever or sophisticated a man may appear, he is merely clay waiting to be shaped by the hand of a superior woman.  It is, however, best not to let him know this.
                                                    -Helena Pennington-

muahmuahmuah

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 02:50:56 AM »
^i want the one with glowlight too eyeing the book tignan ko nga si kindle sana bumaba pa presyo nya lol kaso ang dami dami na talaga masyadong ereaders to choose from.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>

sherlock

• GirlTalker
    • thevisiblehorizon
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 11:25:19 PM »
been thinking of buying a kindle but can't decide whether i'll get the kindle 5 or kindle paperwhite. mas gusto ko sana paperwhite if its just for me pero since its a gift for my mom and it'll be her first tablet/e-reader, medyo worried ako if madadalian lang siyang gamitin. 1st time niya kasi gagamit ng ganito and hindi siya techie (she doesn't even have a cellphone). hirap magdecide, kung hindi niya kasi magustuhan eh sayang naman since i already have a tablet and wala na gagamit nung paperwhite...  :(

Heatherette

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 12:43:12 AM »
^I think mas madadalian siya sa touchscreen than sa may mga buttons (Kindle 5). Sa buttons kasi kahit cousin ko nalilito nung unang nakita niya. With touchscreen, I think may menu siya at madali ma-figure out.

I love my Kindle 4! Iniiwan ko na iPad ko dahil sa kanya. I read almost everyday kaya sulit siya sa akin. How I wish naglabas sila ng may light na may buttons.

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.