Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day SAT 25 OCT 14
Want to get an edge at work? Attend seminars, immersions, and training sessions provided by your office to hone your skills.
  • Good House Keeping
    Judy Ann Santos-Agoncillo returns to our cover this September issue and gets candid about money, marriage, and motherhood.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Drop two sizes fast—with simple exercises you can do at home! This month's ultimate weight-loss special shows you how. Plus, real women share how you, too, can shed and keep off excess weight for good.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: European Tours Thread 3  (Read 54831 times)

mama squeak!

• Board Moderator
  • Super GirlTalker
Re: European Tours Thread 3
« Reply #240 on: November 22, 2012, 12:04:02 PM »
@k_go, sis you can get an open jaw ticket arriving in Rome then departing from Paris. Assuming you'll be in Rome on the 20th May, probably you can do the following IT:

Days 1-4. Rome
Days 5-8. Florence
Days 9-10 Venice
Days 11-15 Barcelona including travel time
Days 16 onwards France

@mrs research, am glad you had fun in Prague. Grabe the escalators at the metro ano? Naka hyperspeed!
Lol! But I find their metros tourist friendly compared to the ones in Paris. Lahat kasi meron escalators and some with elevators pa. So no problems with big bags.

summer_princess

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #241 on: November 23, 2012, 02:31:35 AM »
Sisses ive read from the KLM website that the minimum transfer time from Schipols AP to other Schengen state is 40mins, assuming not much queue, but what if may queue? Our layover is only 65mins. May extra charge kaya if we can't make it in time for our flight? And also do we REcheckin our luggages again? For US travels kase they checkin your luggages until your final destination so even if may transfer you only have your carry on luggages.

Even our agent advised us hanapin raw ang agad ang boarding gate in Schipols bec we Might missed our flight....Afraid!!!
chivalrous, honest, warm, friendly, good hearted & well meaning

-the kind you'd bring home to mom and dad ;-)

mama squeak!

• Board Moderator
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #242 on: November 23, 2012, 09:06:04 AM »
^the 65 mins transit time you have is more than enough to connect to your flight. Schipol is not as big as HKG kaya no problem, wag lang ma-delay your incoming flight. If you miss your flight because of this, KLM will put you on the next available flight without any charges.

While the immig counters for transiting pax to another schengen state has enough manpower so wala ding masyadong pila. I've used KLM a lot of times and in all those times never ko pa na-experience ma-delay dahil sa pila sa immig counters.

Your check-in bags will be tagged all the way to your final destination, so you get them at the carousel at your final destination.

foxymom

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #243 on: November 23, 2012, 09:29:06 AM »
@summer_princess: klm will look wait for you and look for you at the schipol airport :)  there might be a line at the immigration. last time i was there, there was a special line for those going to paris. check the signs.

we almost missed our flight going back to manila because we arrived late and i still had to get our vat refund in schipol (since it wasn't available in rome airport :( and sayang sya if di namin ma claim!) we were really flying going to the departure gate! klm started paging us, and the lady at the gate gave us a stern look, deadma na lang. at least they waited for us (and 2 other couple)

summer_princess

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #244 on: November 23, 2012, 10:30:02 AM »
Thanks Sisses! That's why I super love GT instant response agad! :)

So Amsterdam pala ang POE namin (tatak ng passport) and Not Paris? Our Ams-Cdg flight is domestic nlang then no more immigration when we get to CDG right?

foxymom

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #245 on: November 23, 2012, 10:48:46 AM »
^no more :) amsterdam is the point of entry :D

l_neveph

• GirlTalker
« Reply #246 on: November 30, 2012, 03:19:08 PM »
mga sis what is the best time between the 2 to tour Europe- May or August?

bagaholic_chewy

• Super GirlTalker
  • *on shopping and travel rehab.. until 2014..*
« Reply #247 on: November 30, 2012, 03:31:30 PM »
^ based on my experience, better to travel in Apr/May because weather is colder. Mainit pag August. First time namin, we went ng July/August. then yung most recent namin this year, we went ng April. And If I remember correctly, sa Paris in August, most sights may have shorter operating hours. Most kasi ng taga-Paris take their holidays during August..
"Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you rich"

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook"

mama squeak!

• Board Moderator
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #248 on: November 30, 2012, 04:14:28 PM »
^Nope, summer in Paris all attractions have longer hours compared to their winter schedule. I believe what you mean would be the small mom and pop shops, family-run restaurants and hotels. Yes, these establishments would either have shorter hours or would be totally closed for their summer holidays.

@l_neveph, if you don't mind the heat and the crowd then go in summer. The advantage there would be longer day hours. You average 15 to 16 hours of daylight. Yup, 9PM maliwanag pa sa labas. Kalaban mo lang talaga is init, minsan mas mainit pa sya compared to here. Of course, you have the big crowds. School's out so expect a lot of families with kids at all the popular attractions.

For me experience-wise, I prefer to go during spring or fall. Weather's a little cooler, masarap mamasyal. Not much crowd. You still get a lot of daylight, 12-13 hours average so maximise mo ikot mo. Now if you want to save a lot on your accommodation and plane fare, go in winter. The disadvantage lang during this time is malamig na and sometimes katamad umikot. Then daylight hours are shorter, 4PM it gets to be a little dark na.

But then if you go towards the Christmas holidays, you get to experience the Christmas markets which I believe one has to experience at least once in his/her lifetime. It is a great experience as you get to see all the Christmas displays, eat/drink food/beverage that are usually served only during this season. Basta the overall experience is something else!

Having said all of the above, whatever month you decide to go to Europe will really depend on your preference. Each has its pros and cons, you just have to know what they are. Then decide from there.

:)

bagaholic_chewy

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #249 on: December 01, 2012, 06:31:52 AM »
^Nope, summer in Paris all attractions have longer hours compared to their winter schedule. I believe what you mean would be the small mom and pop shops, family-run restaurants and hotels. Yes, these establishments would either have shorter hours or would be totally closed for their summer holidays.

Ah yeah, that must be it. Hehe, nalimutan ko na kasi, that first trip to Paris was 4 years ago na kasi. Basta naremember ko lang madami mga shops na closed nung last few days namin in Paris. But tama nga, the sights have longer hours that time..

And I agree, ang haba ng daylight in summer! I remember, was shopping tapos since maliwanag pa sa labas, i took my time in picking out and trying clothes. Tapos yun, sabi ng SA magsasara na daw. I'm like, "huh?? You're closing early today?". Yun pala 9pm na, hehe..

karlita123

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #250 on: December 01, 2012, 09:09:53 AM »
Hello,

I'm planning an IT for schengen visa. How can I get a hotel voucher/confirmation without paying anything? Thanks!

mama squeak!

• Board Moderator
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #251 on: December 01, 2012, 10:04:58 AM »
^sis, most hotel websites or third party booking websites provide free bookings and free cancellation fees (if you decide not to push through with your reservations). You just have to read the conditions first before you book your room. And of course they will be asking for your credit card details to guarantee the room.

karlita123

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #252 on: December 01, 2012, 10:15:24 AM »
Thanks sis! I'm applying through the German Embassy for a tourist visa, but they have a peculiar requirement on the hotel requirement. It says:

"Hotel-voucher or confirmation of the hotel / guest house that the accommodation has already been paid for"

Does this mean that the hotel has to be actually paid for? I find it weird since they only require reservation of the airline tickets.

TIA :)

mama squeak!

• Board Moderator
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #253 on: December 01, 2012, 10:21:57 AM »
^Just show them the hotel booking confirmation, that should be enough. It does not have to be pre-paid. My hubby also applied at the German embassy before and he only showed our printed IT with the hotel booking confirmation. 

summer_princess

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #254 on: December 02, 2012, 02:15:20 AM »
Sisses!!!! Happy to share that the Vatican replied to my letter requesting for tickets  for Christmas midnight mass.

But medyo na-confused ako, searching online it says we need to claim tickets at the morning of the papal audience. So the letter is still not a ticket kaya?

bagaholic_chewy

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #255 on: December 03, 2012, 10:21:18 AM »
^ sis, ano ba nakasulat sa letter? most likely, di pa yan ang tickets nyo. We requested for tickets din for last Palm Sunday mass in Vatican. Sa letter, nakalagay na we need to claim the tickets as early as three days before Palm Sunday. In our case, I had to bring the letter and claim the actual tickets sa may Bronze Door. Facing the basilica, nasa may right side siya, you'll see the Swiss guards sa may stairs. Go in and proceed to the office to get your tickets. :)

summer_princess

• Senior GirlTalker
« Reply #256 on: December 03, 2012, 06:50:06 PM »
Here's what the letter says sis.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/alibcls5eplfy0r/Photo%2012-3-12%206%2048%2004%20PM.jpg

My prob is we are arriving right in time on the 24th. Is it really that hard to gain access on these tickets?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 06:51:54 PM by summer_princess »

bagaholic_chewy

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #257 on: December 03, 2012, 08:31:09 PM »
^ ayun, nakalagay sa letter get your tickets on "Christmas Eve or preceding day". Nakalagay up to 7pm naman open yung office. What time ba dating nyo? Mabilis lang naman ang pag-claim e. matagal lang if ever me mahabang pila sa security check.

d_zialcita

• GirlTalker
« Reply #258 on: December 06, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »
hi dears
hi mamasqueek and melodymedley

am back since our honeymoon is drawing closer.

planning on going to these 3 countries: italy, france and greece.

as mamasqeak suggested, we will do an openjaw ticket.

manila-france:Charles De Gaulle Airport (CDG)-greece:Eleftherios Venizelos Airport (ATH)-manila

airfare is P131,192.00 for 2 people. is this okay na?

in france, we are getting an apartment or hotel at paris, would like to see these: eiffel tower, chateau versailles, Louvre & Notre Dame
in italy, we will be staying at my aunt's hotel at tuscany, would like to see these: tuscany, pisa, florence. we would like to stay for a night at venice. and maybe 2 nights at rome.

from the florence train station, is there a way that we can get a rent a car? and use that till we go to pisa? return car in pisa, then train nalang to rome?

(mamasqueak)
what rent a car company can you suggest?
around how much per day?

itinerary i made:
april 10: leave manila
april 11, 1:30pm: arrrive paris
april 12: chateau versailles
april 13: notre dame and lourve
april 14: le marais, eiffel tower
april 15: night train (7:59pm) to venice
april 16, 9:30am: venice
april 17, 11:27am: train to florence (arrive at 1:35pm)
april 18: tuscany tour in morning, florence outlet shops at night
april 19: pisa, train to rome (1:52pm to 5:52pm)
april 20: rome
april 21: rome
april 22: flight from rome to greece
april 22 to 27: greece

(melodyledley)
there's an easyjet flight from rome to athens on april 22, 83.96 British sterling pounds for 2 people, then add 33 for 2 luggages, you think i should book this na now palang? or okay to wait?

is my itinerary too tiring? what should i add/remove?

thank you!

diana

littlemissbiatch

• GirlTalker
    • pink noise
« Reply #259 on: December 06, 2012, 06:27:54 PM »
i need advice on what type of bag to bring with me for an 8-day trip. i'll be going to switzerland, italy, and france by train. would it be ok to bring a trolley or mas advisable ba ang backpack? i'm currently on a business trip sa germany, so i'll be bringing necessities lang, the rest of my stuff i'll leave sa hotel.

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.