Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day SAT 25 OCT 14
Want to get an edge at work? Attend seminars, immersions, and training sessions provided by your office to hone your skills.
  • Good House Keeping
    Judy Ann Santos-Agoncillo returns to our cover this September issue and gets candid about money, marriage, and motherhood.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Drop two sizes fast—with simple exercises you can do at home! This month's ultimate weight-loss special shows you how. Plus, real women share how you, too, can shed and keep off excess weight for good.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Kasambahay Bill  (Read 74021 times)

meimei

• Super GirlTalker
Re: Kasambahay Bill
« Reply #440 on: March 08, 2013, 10:29:52 PM »
^not necessarily. kasi the DOLE explained that section in the Q&A kasi nga vague yung "only occasionally or sporadically and not on an occupational basis". so prior to the release of the Q&A, iniisip natin na pag twice a week or once a week lang si lavandera, baka hindi nga siya covered kasi "occasional" lang. pero the law did not define what is occasional. so we can't just assume that once a week is occasional or twice a week is occasional. and actually, even "once a week" is considered regular because there is a regular schedule. nevertheless, that doesn't matter given  the explanation below.

that's why the DOLE clarified the phrase "only occasionally or sporadically AND not on an occupational basis". the emphasis is on the "and", hindi siya "or", so hindi lang basta occasional pero dapat "not on an occupational basis" din. that's why the examples given by DOLE are as follows:

"4. What are the examples of persons performing work occasionally or sporadically and not on an occupational basis?
a. A janitress doing irregular laundry work for a household during rest day;
b. A construction worker doing casual gardening job for a household; or
c. A hospital nurse, or a student, doing baby-sitting job."

- so based on DOLE's clarification, the phrase "any person who performs domestic work only occasionally or sporadically and not on an occupational basis" means that hindi yun yung primary occupation nila, like in the examples janitress, construction worker etc na suma-sideline lang ng domestic work pero that is not their main occupation. si construction worker hindi gardening ang occupation niya kundi construction work. that's what that phrase means.

kaya ang lavandera na "twice a week" or whatever ay may risk na ma-cover nung law. but as i said before, the RA itself nor DOLE's Q&A has not yet addressed that specific situation na paano kung "more than one" ang amo na pinaglalabhan nung lavandera. let's check if there's a hotline that we can call to ask these specific questions.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:29:33 AM by meimei »
I travel the world. I take nothing but pictures, kill nothing but time and leave nothing but footprints. ― Maarten Schfer

cherrhys

• Super GirlTalker
  • stressed...=P
« Reply #441 on: March 09, 2013, 06:38:37 AM »
^Honestly?  Very specific naman yung term na sporadically.  It means, she would be categorized as "self-employed".  Common sense and logic because lahat ng nasa bill not applicable sa kanya.  Dun pa lang sa part na stay-out siya and 2x a week lang pumapasok, tapos dami pang "amo" understood na yun.

And this is just one of the reasons why most of us employers here were "complaining" about this bill.  Maraming gray areas.  No two households are set up alike.  There are a lot of variables.  Kaya we are discussing it here and asking for SPECIFIC and ACTUAL examples.  Yung tipong a household who have already tried implementing this bill into their own household.  Kasi I'm sure everybody have read the bill a thousand times kaya hindi rin masasabi na hindi lang naintindihan yung bill.  BUT we are scratching our heads because medyo malabo yung part na ng application/implementation sa bahay na mismo.

So I will always go back to my usual example situation, kasi ito IMO ang isa sa pinaka problematic (or at least potentially) part ng bill.  The 24 hour weekly day off.  On paper, it sounds so logical and easy to abide by.  But in actual situations?  I don't think so.  Just reading the other thread, ang daming complaints about maids na upon day-off di bumabalik on time or worst di na bumabalik.  So pano na yan?  Goodbye pamasahe, agency fees etc. na for sure.  Registered in DOLE and Baranggays??  Is that  a joke? Not that I'm looking down on the maids, but di ba most of them have no permanent address?  So ang dali lang mawala.  Provinces?  If they write, say Gubat, Sorsogon, where in world would you find them there?

These are legitimate gripes and complaints.  Not imagined slights or "acting like victims" of this bill.  Not unless somebody could post an ACTUAL application of this bill in their own household with relative success, then I would still continue to say that bill is a big joke and done so not for the benefits of the kasambahays (much more the employers) but rather done to garner popularity and votes.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:21:48 AM by cherrhys »
Stay-at-Home Mother of FIVE! :D

sonia62

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #442 on: March 10, 2013, 07:06:13 AM »
Ay naku yung maid ko wala ni isang id kaya di ko alam pano sya magaapply ng sss. Pahirap naman tong bill na to... Di ko alam kung pano ko sisimulan gawin. I agree with you sis cherrhys mahirap pag actual na yan kasi di nila pinagaralan lahat ng pasikot sikot. Sa SSS pa lang ng maid eh pahirapan na. Kasi yung maid ko nung dumating sa akin last yr, straight from the province at first time dito sa manila. Normally di ba ang dala lang naman nila katawan at damit nila. Pati nga pamasahe kami nagbayad. Tapos yung iba pa sa kanila sa hilot lang pinanganak. And as if naman meron silang bank accounts, credit cards, passports, etc. kapalit ng birth certificate para makakuha ng SSS. Nung hinihingi ko complete name and details nya para try ko magrequest sa nso ang sabi kesyo may problema daw ata sa birth certificate nya, ang nakalagay daw eh lalaki sya. Ay ewan ko na lang sa bill na to good luck.

cherrhys

• Super GirlTalker
  • stressed...=P
« Reply #443 on: March 10, 2013, 07:29:45 AM »
^Exactly!  Yung bill kasi "possible" maging applicable sa mga big cities (like here in Metro Manila) kasi mas may access and kahit paano mas may alam ang mga tao dito.  Sa province kasi mas iba priorities nila kasi nga sa hirap ng access and all that.  Marami pang provinces na sobrang backwards like no electricity at all, so they don't really care about bank accounts nor getting ids and stuffs.  Papasok pa dyan yung kakaibang practice nila sa province na iba yung nickname sa real name.  Like yung yaya ko now, real name niya "Arlene" pero ginagamit niyang nickname "Gina" eh buti eto alam niya nickname lang yun at wala sa birth certificate yun.  Eh dati meron kaming nakuha (at tumagal sa amin ha)  all along she uses "Jean" as her name, lahat ng papers niya ganun.  But when we asked for her birth cert. since we planned to get her a passport, di talaga mahanap.  It turned out her real name was "Jennifer".  Tapos parang di pa alam ng karamihan sa lugar nila na yan ang registered name niya kasi lahat "Jean" ang tawag sa kanya eversince.  Her father died na rin, good thing nandyan pa si mother niya.  Kaloka lang pano nakuha yung iba niyang papers.

freelancer_babe

• I'm a
  • Super GirlTalker
    • The Lady Programmer
« Reply #444 on: March 10, 2013, 07:50:31 AM »
^ Magiging cause rin pala ng unemployment rin pala yan sa mga maids - yung mali-mali ang nakalagay sa birth certificate.

Di kaya dumami na lang ang patago ang hiring sa maids - yung as in walang SSS, 13th month, Philhealth at Pagibig tulad ng dati? Parang ang hirap din sa government hulihin yung mga lalabag sa kasambahay law - unless magdemanda ang maid?
Catch a man a fish and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. (Karl Marx)

cherrhys

• Super GirlTalker
  • stressed...=P
« Reply #445 on: March 10, 2013, 08:36:10 AM »
^Kaya rin siguro maraming fixers.  Kasi tulad na lang niyang basic na birth certificate, problema na agad.  Yan pa naman ang number 1 na papeles na kelangan natin kahit saan. 

For sure madami yang gagawa ng patago.  Kaya the bill would eventually defeat its main purpose which is to protect.  Kasi ano ba usually nangyayari kapag patago na, abuses.  Lalo na if kelangan talaga ng trabaho tapos samahan pa ng di naman kabisado ang bill, syempre basta fair sa pandinig nila yung salary more or less papayag na yun.

Kung yung mga "real" business nga hirap na sila ipatupad yung tamang SSS/PhilHealth/Pag-Ibig (even taxes nga) contributions, pano pa itong household set-ups. 

dolly

• Junior GirlTalker
  • there's no permanent in this world but changes...
    • Tatum's Travel Emporium
« Reply #446 on: March 11, 2013, 11:24:58 PM »
^Ate, kasambahay bill pa rin? :P Hahaha, I miss you na. Mukhang pinahihirapan ka ng husto nitong bill na to a, shucks buti na lang wala ako yaya. Moving up day nung 2 sa Saturday, did I mention na andito lang kami sa Manila? When you have time, let's have lunch naman!

Seriously, dapat now na kuhanan ng mga papeles na ganyan ang mga kasambahay? ang alam ko wait muna sa barangay nung employment contract a. O baka talagang yung mismong nagpatupad nito e in doubt din kung pano simulan to. Wala pa bang nakapag-apply na talaga nyan sa mga bahay bahay nila. Shet, oras pa lang ng tulog talong talo na kame sa mga kasambahay. May morning nap, afternoon nap, lahat na ata ng nap merun sa mga to. Wow talaga, wow na wow!

cherrhys

• Super GirlTalker
  • stressed...=P
« Reply #447 on: March 12, 2013, 06:07:17 AM »
^Hi, Dolly!  PM mo na lang ako or message mo sa FB para makapagplano sa lunch date na yan. ;D  Ako naman sa Friday ang moving up day nila kambal (the older ones).

Actually, di pa naman ako problematic sa bill more on nakikita ko lang yung mga potential problems nating lahat bilang mga amo.  Kasi nga wala pa naman actual na nakakagawa nito eh.  Iba kasi yung binabasa lang yung bill sa ACTUAL ng ginagawa sa mismong bahay na.  Kahit kabisadong kabisado mo pa yung bill, wala pa ring comparison yun sa actual na buhay.

can_dice

• Junior GirlTalker
    • this is my blog..
« Reply #448 on: March 12, 2013, 02:03:35 PM »
^wala pa, sis. around early May pa ang deadline to release the IRR (within 90 days from the effectivity of the law; the law's effectivity is after 15 days of its publication in the official Gazette; the law was published on Jan 18)

I really don't get it why the bill is effective na YET wala pang IRR..
CRAZY!

i have a pdf file of the kasambahal bill na may faqs.. anyone who wants a copy dm me :)
Eavesdrop on my whatever thingies (BLOG), drop by:
http://candishhh.blogspot.com/
http://didimom.blogspot.com

billy

• billy's got a gun but she's a good girl and a
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #449 on: March 12, 2013, 02:18:12 PM »
If things are going right in your household, kailangan pa to the nth power talaga ang pagsunod sa
bill na ito?

Right now, my helpers have SSS, Philhealth and soon Pagibig, may midyear and 13th month, bukod pa sa
Xmas bonus and other benefits - but we have no written contracts.
Ngayon pa ba kami gumawa eh 7 years na sila sa akin? Leaves, day-off, work sked - ok naman
ang set-up namin, babaguhin ba namin? Lahat ng docs / IDs nila, pinalakad ko - including NSO birth cert, passport,
postal ID, voter's ID.
Yaiks naman. Baka naman mapasama pa :(
don't feed the troll!

cherrhys

• Super GirlTalker
  • stressed...=P
« Reply #450 on: March 12, 2013, 03:54:06 PM »
^Parang nauna ka nga yata sa Kasambahay Bill if that's the case.  Feeling ko naman, parang yun na rin yun kasi nasunod niyo na lahat eh.

can_dice

• Junior GirlTalker
    • this is my blog..
« Reply #451 on: March 13, 2013, 02:48:41 PM »
^^I think you need to put it into writing lang. 
Ako rin, I have complete contributions sa SSS PHIC and Pagibig YET I think I need to put it into writing and have these helpers sign.

its just for our protection one day if the unthinkable happens.  Gets?

Kasi I'm sure EVEN if we did all these things for our helpers, meron pa yang mga questions or wants sa clarifications at the back of their minds.
Eavesdrop on my whatever thingies (BLOG), drop by:
http://candishhh.blogspot.com/
http://didimom.blogspot.com

meimei

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #452 on: March 17, 2013, 12:36:08 AM »
@billy and can_dice, wow that's great! ang galing kumpleto na ang contributions niyo. :) yeah, just sign an employment contract para talagang wala na kayong problema, tutal yun na lang ang kulang niyo essentially. :)

to those sisses worrying about birth certificate, i posted a detailed reply regarding that na since meron naman talagang mga tao (especially from the provinces talaga) na may problema sa birth certificate, hindi ito mandatory and there are alternative documents that are accepted. just read it na lang, one page back lang yata. we just have this misconception na "oh no, required ang birth cert", but sa totoo lang, if you'll read up, you'll see that there are alternative acceptable IDs/docs.
I travel the world. I take nothing but pictures, kill nothing but time and leave nothing but footprints. ― Maarten Schfer

billy

• billy's got a gun but she's a good girl and a
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #453 on: March 17, 2013, 07:16:52 AM »
^thank you!
I read somewhere na DOLE will consult netizens daw on the KB.
don't feed the troll!

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #454 on: March 17, 2013, 01:27:27 PM »

The 24 hour weekly day off. 

Yes.  Whatever the bill provides for is already given to the helpers PLUS MORE actually.
Even the aggregate days off:   2 24hr off days per month + 2 24hr days off for birthdays + 24hr day off for Xmas + another  24hr off for New Year  + extra days off when the entire family goes abroad (at least 3x a year) AND PLUS  the entire month after ONLY 11 months of service -- ALL those leaves with pay --   Yun lang talaga TIMING as in EVERY week?! is my objection.

cherrhys

• Super GirlTalker
  • stressed...=P
« Reply #455 on: March 17, 2013, 06:19:14 PM »
^Yun na nga.  It's actually ok IF the helper really follows the rule.  Kaya lang like what I kept on mentioning here, there are a lot of those who do as they please, in short pasaway.  Imagine that happening every week.  Kawawa yung amo kasi baka yun ang mawalan ng trabaho.  Coz there are a lot of cases (even here in the forum) that the mother/employer would just file a leave kapag hindi bumalik si yaya, kasi nga walang maiiwan sa anak nila.  Not every one are fortunate to have more than 1 maid/yaya or have other family members to lend a hand.

aquacharly

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #456 on: March 18, 2013, 06:51:47 PM »
^hay that is a very valid & common complaint or bad situation.

Como Cruella de Ville nga ako, kids on office premises are prohibited (except for ours, but we maintain a family room in our head office).  But this past year, I have been unable to turn away  kids brought in kasi! the solo maid/yaya did not return on time (or never returned).  I see the desperation/hopelessness in the mom's face -- ay, surrender na ko!

Ewan ko if illegal na ito nowadays,  but in my household -- pag late by even an hour -- half day pay deduction. Pag late by 3 hours minimum --  whole day deduction, and 1st warning. 3rd warning --  mag antay ka nang kapalit.  So far, Bihira na late return.  Kung walang penalty kasi, susko aside from the uber tiklop excuse: "ma traffic"; madami grrr excuses that are none of my concern. 

But yes, Getz ko -- for those with solo maids & no family to step in to care for the kid/s --  walang takot ma late sa return from day off mga walang considerasyon/malasakit na maid.

onlygirl

• GirlTalker
« Reply #457 on: March 18, 2013, 07:27:47 PM »
With the Kasambahay Bill,  I am thinking of putting up a business which serves the household/yaya needs of the family, this is not an manpower agency type.  This would make you not worry of all those benefits which you should process and contribute as an employer, pero ciempre the service to pay would be higher but still reasonable kaya I'm still conceptualizing if this kind of business is feasible and marketable. 

cherrhys

• Super GirlTalker
  • stressed...=P
« Reply #458 on: March 18, 2013, 07:30:09 PM »
^Yes, that's what usually happens nga.  Kaya ewan ko ba sa bill na ito!  No matter how I look at it, talagang anti-employer.  Maraming sakit ng ulo ang dadalhin sa atin.

bluish_mommy

• ako ang bluish na
  • Super GirlTalker
« Reply #459 on: April 02, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »
ito ang isang dahilan bakit hesitant ako ulit kumuha ng kasambahay (kahit we really need one this time talaga). ang gulo-gulo ng KB na ito tingin ko, yoko muna ng sakit sa ulo kaya tiis tiis muna. planning to get one bago magpasukan sa June though.

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.