If you guys find yourselves in San Pablo, Laguna, you MUST have a meal at Sulyap Gallery Cafe and Restaurant
! Service was excellent, attentive ang staff and very knowledgeable with their menu items. They even offered to take us around the property - we got to visit the museum (lots of interesting collectors' stuff), and check out their bed&breakfast room options. No charge for the "tour", sobrang nag-enjoy kami!
And of course, my friends and i agreed that we had THE BEST Filipino cuisine meal
here! The dishes we had were really simple, but had fresh and high quality ingredients, lovingly prepared in an unhurried and uniquely San Pablo way. we were all rendered speechless sa sarap ng food
The dining area is like a big, old house - we stayed in the 2nd floor, where we took a lot of photos lalo na near the capiz sliding windows with the view outside. Dining tables and chairs are made of solid wood, even the plates, placemats and napkins were Old Filipiniana style/designed. The place isn't air-conditioned, but with the cool breeze coming from outside - helped by antique-lookined ceiling fans - we enjoyed the non-AC experience very much. The whole Sulyap experience was like going back in time, when life in the Philippines was really simple and laid-back.
Here's what we ordered:Kulawong Puso ng Saging
- roasted/grilled puso ng saging , then cooked in coconut milk. this dish is creamy/crunchy, with a hint of vinegar, and a few strips of grilled pork on top. my friends and i (including our super-meticulous chef friend) were BLOWN AWAY with this dish, sooobrang sarap! and what's amazing is very simple lang ang preparation. speechless talaga kami while eating the Kulawo. (not often that we're rendered speechless
). i think the Kulawo dish alone, made the whole San Pablo trip so worth the effort. Ginataang Pusit
- the squid was very fresh, and very tender! parang kumakain lang kami ng fish fillet sa lambot ng squid. the way the gata and pusit were cooked - ay grabe, ang sarap-sarap din!!! Bangus Belly
- i think this was pan-fried, and topped with lots of garlic. again, the simplicity of the taste (marinade was, i think - soy sauce and calamansi) brought out the freshness of the fish. perfect with the Kulawo. Pork Barbecue
- very tender, we enjoyed this as well because talagang naglalaban yung tangy and sweet taste. Fresh Watermelon Shake
- from our first sip, we all knew the shake wasn't mixed with sugar (or at the very least siguro, just a very small amount lang ang nilagay). we can only taste the freshness of the watermelon, which was sweet na din in itself. super refreshing!
servings are big - we only ordered one of each dish, and sobrang busog na kaming 4 ng friends ko. we all wanna go back to San Pablo again soon para lang makakain ulit sa Sulyap hehe...
guys, you HAVE to try out Sulyap (especially the Kulawo and ginataang pusit!!!) - it's an unforgettable San Pablo experience.