Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day THU 18 SEP 14
Got leftover ulam in the fridge? Concoct brand-new dishes like vegetarian pasta surf-and-turf fried rice using those ingredients.
  • Good House Keeping
    Judy Ann Santos-Agoncillo returns to our cover this September issue and gets candid about money, marriage, and motherhood.
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Drop two sizes fast—with simple exercises you can do at home! This month's ultimate weight-loss special shows you how. Plus, real women share how you, too, can shed and keep off excess weight for good.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: PCOS (Thread 5)  (Read 71971 times)

baby_chichay

• Junior GirlTalker
  • I think, therefore I am.
PCOS (Thread 5)
« on: August 07, 2011, 02:11:36 PM »
A lot of us women have this condition and the cause is relatively unknown.

Please share if you have it, or worry that you might have it. What are your symptoms, treatments, and how are you dealing with it?

inkslinger

• GirlTalker
Re: PCOS (Thread 5)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 03:51:32 PM »
One of my older sisters has it. Or had have it. Kasi di na nya naiku-kwento ang tungkol dito.

It started when she got depressed and started to eat less. My dad just passed away during that time and it was understandable. She was 23 at that time and single. Up to now, she's still single (36yrs old).

Then one day, she confided in us that she wasn't having her monthly period. Six months na pala! Natatakot daw sya. Alam naman nya na hindi sya kumakain ng maayos, and she thought that it was due to that. Two of my sisters are nurses and advised her to go and see a doctor. Natatakot sya sa mga test. She hadn't have a boyfriend and thought the visit to the OB and the tests might do something on her virginity. She was assured by my other sisters that the probe that will be used to test would be thin, which I think was the equipment being used for young ladies and the unmarried ones.

And off she went to the OB and there she learned that she has PCOS. Dahil na rin daw yon sa di nya pag menstruate for 6 months. She was given medications for her polycystic and she was asked to see another doctor to test her thyroid glands. Baka daw kasi may kinalaman din ang thyroid glands nya kaya sya hindi makakain ng maayos. Sabi rin sa kanya, yung near anorexia state nya (malnutrition and dehydration) may have also caused the PCOS.

It turned out may hyper thyroidism din sya. So, ginamot din yon at yung PCOS nya. After a few months nagregular na ulit ang menstruation nya at kasa nya duon yung polycystic, na drain na rin. Sa ngayon, mukhang wala na. She's very healthy now and very active in sports :)

doc_quincy

• GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 02:32:15 PM »
I was diagnosed with PCO when I was 13 because same as mentioned above, I missed my period for 6 months. I was prescribed progesterone pills by my OB-Gyne. After 2 months, I had my period back but I gained weight, had mood swings and acne. It wasn't worth it so I stopped.

When I became a doctor, of course, I screened and treated myself with the most natural treatment therapy I could find. I'm now using natural thyroid and progesterone. My period is regular. I'm 108lbs with clear skin and great energy levels. I will never take those pills again.
"A man's got to do what a man's got to do. A woman must do what he can't."

godez

• Probationary
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 03:03:01 PM »
Hi, I was diagnosed top have PCOS too.  Now, I am worried if I can be pregnant bec I read an article regarding PCOS that it cause infertility. I would like to know if I can still have a baby. :'(

sweetie_n_bloomie

• Probationary
    • Sweetie 'n' Bloomie Shoppe
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 03:07:19 PM »
yes, na-diagnose ako na may pcos ako last year. ngayon under observation na ako, every 3 months na ang check up ko. hopefully maging regular na uli ako.

doc_quincy

• GirlTalker
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 03:28:26 PM »
^godez, yes PCOS causes infertility but if you optimize your female hormones, get your period regular and maintain your weight, you have high chances of getting pregnant.

inkslinger

• GirlTalker
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 03:37:29 PM »
@doc_quincy - May kinalaman ba sa thyroid ang PCOS? Hindi ko rin kasi alam ang exact cause sa case ng sister ko.

@godez - I know someone who was diagnosed with PCOS pero may anak naman sya, dalawa pa nga. She's 35 years old now. She had her first baby when she was 25.

doc_quincy

• GirlTalker
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 03:45:27 PM »
^inkslinger, yes hypothyroidism is related to PCOS. Diabetes and obesity, on the other hand, have more direct links to PCOS.

gelticyado

• mamasnow
  • GirlTalker
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 03:58:13 PM »
hello mga sis... ako din was diagnosed last May 2010 of PCOS. Ang sabi ng OB ko hindi naman porke regular ang mens mo eh wala ka na problem. PCOS may affect infertility. Ganun ang nangyari sakin we're TTC ni hubby den we found out na may PCOS nga ako pero regular naman ang mens ko. Accdg to my OB regular ang mens ko pero hindi ako nagoovulate dahil sa PCOS. Which mean hindi ako nagproproduce ng follicles for fertilization. Pinagtake lang niya ako ng metformin then after 3 mos nagpa TVS ulit ako clear na yung PCOS ko. Pero [textspeak!] metformin eh maintenance na para sa mga may PCOS lalo na pag nabuntis na. I'm on my 23rd weeks of my pregnancy now and still tuloy tuloy pa din ang metformin ko. Pag hindi ko daw ininom un eh magkakaron ng malaking effect kay baby.

Tasha Yar

• Probationary
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 01:34:23 PM »
Yes and for how many years... i cant remember.  I only realized this after college.  In fact, i believe i had this even earlier but i never bothered to have it consulted.  I am dependent on hormonal pills.  I was also recommended to take Metformin 500mg everyday as my doctor assumes that i am on a pre-diabetic stage.  As much as possible, i dont take the pills because of the things that ive read about it and its relation to cancer.  I dont take Metformin either because i get headaches everytime i take them.  In other words, i am very non-compliant.  There has got to be something in alternative medicine that can help get rid of this.  I was told that PCOS patients should effectively manage their weight in order to alleviate the syndrome. Loosing weight sounds a lot better than taking pills so i enrolled myself in Yoga and swimming classes.  I had surfed on the youtube for PCOS and there was one lady there who said that she has gotten rid of PCOS and what she did was to stay away from milk products (no.. not the cheeses), baked and sweet goodies (no.. not the cakes and ice cream), and live vegetarian (what? no more pizzas?). It seems the way to go...

nona_girl

• Probationary
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 03:33:46 PM »
I was also diagnosed with PCOS 2 years ago. But I never went to see an OB after that. Nakita lang sa TVS na PCOS daw ako, though regular naman ang period ko. Im really scared coz baka hindi ako magka-baby  :-[

brattinella

• Super GirlTalker
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 03:43:57 PM »
Existing Thread:
Polycystic Ovaries Syndorme (PCOS) - Thread 4
http://www.femalenetwork.com/girltalk/index.php/topic,228790.0.html

mhellibunao

• Probationary
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 01:04:56 PM »
I have also this. Bilateral Polycystic Ovaries ako. and nadiscover ko [textspeak!] to this year [textspeak!], July.. and I know it is due to my gaining weight. kya need to lose more weight.

sweetbabycakes

• Though a full-time housewife, shopping addict, and office drudge, I still find time to be a certified
  • Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 07:27:38 PM »
Wala pa atang new thread. Start ulit ang discussion.
Mahirap na masarap pala maging misis... :-)

sweetbabycakes

• Though a full-time housewife, shopping addict, and office drudge, I still find time to be a certified
  • Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »
I have been reading the PCOS threads sporadically since I suspected that I have the condition. Let me give you a little background ng case ko.

Since bata ay overweight na talaga ako, and I had my period fairly late (12years old, ako ang huli sa class na nagkaron, akala ko nga lalaki ako LOL). Anyway, super irregular ako, the first few years mga 3-4times lang ako nagkakaron pero deadma lang kasi sabi sakin pag mataba nga raw irreg. happy pa nga ako dahil walang hassle diba.

This continued till college. Nung nagsimula ako magwork, naging regular ang mens ko, so happy. kaso nagkaron ako ng dysmenorrhea. pero carry pa rin. Come 4th year in college, nagkaron ako ng super heavy bleeding. pero deadma pa rin kasi hindi na naman naulit. Until noong 2004, sobrang sakit naman na dysmenorrhea.

Anyway, things came to head noong 2010. I was preparing my wedding, and in May, I noticed that a week after matapos ng period ko, nagspot ako. naalarm ako at nagpatingin sa OB sa healthcard namin. so inultrasound ako, wala daw problem, stress lang daw. so go lang.

October came, at nagheavy bleeding ako with severe pain. narush ako sa ER. suma total, i underwent another TVS at ayun, PCOS and adenomyosis. The second OB asked to see the first TVS, at nakita nya agad sa same photos na tinignan ni first OB. Grabe iyak ko nun, isang buwan akong nagmope around lang. parang ayoko na mabuhay, kasi alam ko nga hirap magbuntis pag me ganito, and kahit hindi sinasabi ni hubby, alam ko na he wants kids.

I was prescribed pills, pero dahil matigas ulo ko, I wanted a second opinion. Na hindi ko agad naasikaso dahil naging busy. pero naulit ang heavy bleeding and severe pain, so I was forced to seek the second OB's opinion.

Kakukuha ko lang ng result ng TVS ko kahapon, and it said (like in my previous TVS results) na retroverted uterus ako, no mass lesion seen naman daw, may small follicles sa ovaries na 0.8 ang pinakamalaki, no abnormal adnexal lesion detected. CONCLUSION: thickened endometrium.

Hindi ba talaga nila nilalagay na me PCOS sa conclusion? laging yun lang nakalagay sa dulo ng mga TVS ko.

Di ako makakabalik kay OB this weekend (saturdays lang clinic nya) so Oct 1 ko pa malalaman ibig sabihin ng mga nakalagay sa TVS. Would appreciate your insights, in case na encounter nyo itong ganitong diagnosis.

Sorry ang haba, pero wala ako mapagconfidan about this except kay hubby, wala ako iba kilalang may PCOS. I guess I am looking for a support system composed of women who are also going through the same thing I am. Sobrang nakakadepress. On top of my diabetes ito ha. Nadiagnose ako with diabetes din nung oct at grabe ang pakiramdam. Parang sobra na.  >:(

emmylou

• GirlTalker
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 04:56:43 PM »
hi sis sweetbabycakes,

i've been on that road before. May Pcos din ako. i also had an operation that removed a cyst sa right ovary ko. but i got pregnant naturally sa first(2004), second(2007) and third(2010) baby ko. dahil may PCOS ako, palaging delikado pregnancy ko. i gave birth sa aking baby when i was only 6months and 26days along. he was placed in an incubator and oxygen for 2 weeks. naiuwi na namin siya after. i lost my second son due to miscarriage dahil talagang prone tayo. my baby girl naman is palaging para akong makukunan. kahit na nagkaproblema si baby at naoperahan, ok na siya ngayon. there is still hope even if you have PCOS. kelangan lang talaga maging ok ang weight mo(ako mataba pero nabubuntis pa rin, hindi nga lang planado. lahat surprise), regular visits kay ob, follicle monitoring sa cd10, 12 at 14 to check if you're ovulating. gamot din like metformin and clomiphene citrate to help ovulation. also check for infection sa vagina. minsan din factor rin iyan kung bakit di ka mabuntis. hope this helps. good luck sis!

sweetbabycakes

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 07:53:54 PM »
salamat sa encouraging words, sis emmylou. nakakapanghina ng loob talaga. naaawa nga ako sa hubby ko. minsan nga binibiro ko sya, nagkamali kako sya ng pagpili, andaming problema ng napangasawa nya.

may iba bang thread yung PCOS? parang weird na wala masyado nagpopost. baka nadoble to.

mhadhes

• Probationary
  • ovamit and metformin
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 12:21:48 AM »
doc quincy>>>> pwede mo ba sis i share [textspeak!] yung ininum mo para mawala pcos mo and nag clear ang face and skin mo????kasi pcos din ako and may myoma pa nga minsan di ko mapigilang maiyak and mag isip...pinagtake ako ng metformin ng ob ko since nalaman na pcos ako tapos napansin ko simula ng ngtake ako ng metformin dumami na pimples ko as in malalaki pa and me nana nabother ako kasi di ako nagkakapimple ng ganun and [textspeak!] ibang pimples ko ng scars na....dko na din alam if [textspeak!] ba ang cream o ipapahid ko sa face ko para mag clear ulit at bumalik [textspeak!] skin ko sa face....nung ask ko ob ko if me iba pa bang gamot na pede skin na di ako titigyawatin sabi nia if gusto ko daw gumaling pcos ko magpaderma nalang daw ako...naglolose naman ako ng weight date 57kilos ako now 51 nalang and filing ko alang effect skin [textspeak!] metformin...now pag nagkamens na daw ako mag take ako ng ovamit para mabuntis....nahihirapan na kasi talaga ako and gusto ko na din magkababy ulit i have one child 4years old na sya....sana mabigyan nio naman ako ng advice and tips thank you
mhadhes

simply_wife

• a happy mom to my sweet little princess...
  • GirlTalker
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 09:31:57 AM »
hi sis sweetbabycakes!

i have been diagnosed with PCO, laging nakalagay sa result ng ultrasound ko is polycystic ovaries, thin  endometrium..

since 2007 pa nadiagnose and until now nandito pa rin to pero every month akong may period pero paiba-iba lang ng cycle days kaya hirap makatiming... medyo chubby din ako..

A hopeful TTC wife, trusting the Lord that one day, He will bless us the baby we are waiting...

Thank you in advance for our babies :-)

http://www.dataentryjobs.us/43981.html

emily2008

• GirlTalker
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 11:06:59 AM »
sis search ka lang madami ng thread about pcos, dun nyo malalaman na hindi naman pala severe case to, so ok lang nothing serious to worry about, sundin lang medication and advise ng doctor, and madaming nagkakababy even with pcos, 3 friends ko meron nito pero they're both have 2 kids each

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.