Get weekly updates via email!
tip of the day TUE 02 SEP 14
Record your baby's laughter. Play it whenever you're feeling the burn at work.
  • Good House Keeping
    Forever young Cheska Garcia-Kramer talks about her stay-gorgeous secrets, mommy bliss, and the surprising success of #TeamKramer in the August issue a.k.a. the Anti-Aging Special of Good Housekeeping!
    Good Housekeeping
  • Women's Health
    Build the confidence to strut in a pair of jeans with our 28-day pound-shedding, lean muscle-building workout, and learn the best cuts for your body type with our easy style guide.
    Women's Health
GIRLTALK

Author Topic: Don't know what to do with my career. I'm lost  (Read 2227 times)

fall2pieces

• Junior GirlTalker
    • Tumblr Me and I'll Tumblr You
Don't know what to do with my career. I'm lost
« on: August 07, 2011, 12:56:43 PM »
hi guys. i just want to share my story. im a Business graduate 6 years ago. im turning 27 this year and i still don't know what to do with my career.

i started as a bank teller in a big local bank when i was a fresh graduate, i stayed there for only 3 months due to burn out and i guess due to i was naive back then. then i transferred to a government owned company and i worked there for more than a year.
i was happy with my colleagues but then i left coz i was a contractual employee and i was not lucky to get a permanent position. i tried working again with a private company, a big local bank again but i only lasted for 4 months because i had a very difficult boss and i did not like the job.

right now, i am working in an insurance company and i have been here for 3 years. at the start i thought this will be the company wherein i can grow old with and build my career with. i was wrong. things started to get worse when our mother company abroad underwent financial difficulties. and now i feel like its not worth it to stay anymore. i'm getting toxic with my work and i'm so burned out but i don't know what to do. i want to resign and apply for work in other companies but i don't know what position and company or field i can apply for. i'm so lost. i just want to leave this company and find a better job. but at the same time i'm afraid that if i do the wrong thing again, ill just end up repeating the same experience i had with this company. i want to find the job that will give me the fulfillment in life and where i can stay until i get old.

i just feel so unlucky when it comes to work. i hope someone can give me an advise on what i can do with my career.  :(
"Everything that happens in this world happens at the time God chooses." Ecclesiastes 3:1" :)

sugardrop

• Super GirlTalker
  • Loving life's simple pleasures.
    • J'adore Rougit
Re: Don't know what to do with my career. I'm lost
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
Sis, I only have one question - Do you already know what you really want to do (career-wise)?

Because the moment you realize what it is that you really want to do and if you have carefully thought of ways on how to do it, everything else will fall into place. Just be patient, focused and driven. We're of the same age and like you, I've gone though that stage. I quit my job because I was too idealistic and thought it was that easy to do what I want only for me to realize later on that hindi ko makukuha sa pabigla-bigla when it comes to decisions and actions yung gusto ko. :) And like you, ganyan din ako sa work before. Pero hindi ko magagawa yung gusto ko gawin in the future if I won't take it one step at a time. Super isip din, mas maganda sana if with a clear mind and just listen to yourself. :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 04:46:12 PM by sugardrop »
A little backreading won't hurt.

J'adore Rougit

Instagram: greenappletini

pressany

• Junior GirlTalker
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 01:21:59 PM »
^^ sis, reality check, we work to get paid and not to get life.  Work and life are the ends of the spectrum.  If you are looking for the rare I'm-doing-what-I-really-love to-do-and-I-get-paid-for-it, you're in a long haul.

My sisterly advice, continue to do what you are doing, save enough money, pick a hobby or do whatever you really want to do on the side, if you have enough to finance the thing you really love to do, quit your job and do it full time. But as long as you are not financially independent (meaning you have enough money to see you through winter time), stick to your job. 

You can also change your perspective on things, maybe, just maybe you say you are unlucky because you think you are unlucky.  BUT dear, there are millions out there who do not have a job while you easily slide from one company to another.  I'd say you are one lucky girl you just refuse to acknowledge it.

boutiqikay

• Probationary
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 02:03:46 AM »
think of the one thing that you do best in your current job.  if you know what you're the best at, then start liking what you do best. perspective is everything.

honeybunny

• i'm a super dooper, mega, hyper
  • Super GirlTalker
  • hahaha
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 12:53:03 AM »
ako naman, i am currently employed in a BPO industry, nursing graduate, i sometimes ask myself din, "what am i gonna do with my life?" feeling ko BPO lang ang career ko here sa pinas since ayoko naman magnurse dito, for lots of reasons. so hanggang di ko pa sure kung mag abroad ba ako to pursue my nursing career and to have a much better life than this, stick muna ako sa call center since ok naman ang tabaho, in our account, madali lang at ok naman ang pay, but medyo mabagal (or minsan depende sa tao) ang growth dito, so dito muna ako for the mean time. :)
i don't need education, i need inspiration.
                   if i was just educated, i'd be a damn fool.

*whoever said money can't buy happiness didn't know where to go shopping

ADVERTISEMENT
follow us
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Featured Articles
5 Steps to Financial Fitness in Tough Times
Instead of grumbling about the plight of the peso and dwelling on the negative, try these helpful tips to stay afloat. Remember--a little discipline goes a long way!
You're the breadwinner: Now what?
You want the freedom to spend your money as you wish but you know that if you don’t bring home the bacon, no one else will.
Getting money-wise: Why women are naturally capable of managing cash
She works hard for the money but she doesn’t know how to invest it. Here, Pearlsha Abubakar tells us why women are capable of managing their money well, but don’t. Read and get smart with your money.
Never go broke again! The FN guide to financial freedom-forever!
Fear not bankruptcy or eternal dependence on your parents (or a man!). There's a financial strategy for everybody. Read and get money-wise.
Wise up: Start your own business!
Tired of living from paycheck to paycheck? Why not go into business? Read on and find out how just a little cash can become a lot.